Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slatham
Level 7

Flashing Pixels in 1080?

I did the 2 month Sling thing and got a Roku Express.

Cut the cord, and started streaming.

However, whenever I set the resolution to 1080, any black screen shows "flickering" pixels - white pixels randomly flashing. It happens all the time, but only when some portion of the screen is dark enough can you see it, but obviously there are plenty of dark images/areas in any number of shows.

If I set it to 720, it goes away (or at least, it's too faint to see?).

When I go back to 1080 (or automatic, which detects the TV as 1080, which it is) it seems fine for a while, but then starts up again.

We watched all 3 hours of Once Upon a Time in the West the other night in 1080 - no flickering, was fine. Next viewing session, flickering is back.

Tried various HDMI cables.

The only solution seems to be to run it in 720, which kind of sucks.

I have an Amazon Fire in the other room and may swap them out to see what happens, but issue has never been seen on Satellite hookup, or Blu-Ray player, both running in 1080 so seems Roku specific - especially since it only happens on the 1080 settings.

The device was "free" with my Sling subscription, and I'm planning to buy another streaming device, and while there are elements I like better about the Roku, if the Fire has a better image, I'll have to go with that if there's no fix for this.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Flashing Pixels in 1080?

What TV do you have? I've seen 720 TVs recognized by my Roku Stick as 1080, and while it worked it wasn't the native TV resolution. Just because a TV accepts a 1080 input doesn't mean that's the actual resolution. It could be your TV really is 720. But a make/model would help confirm or disprove that idea.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
slatham
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
What TV do you have? I've seen 720 TVs recognized by my Roku Stick as 1080, and while it worked it wasn't the native TV resolution. Just because a TV accepts a 1080 input doesn't mean that's the actual resolution. It could be your TV really is 720. But a make/model would help confirm or disprove that idea.

It's a Samsung Plasma PN514500
The TV does have 2 HDMI inputs, one marked  "DVI" which from the manual looks like it was intended to take in signal from a Computer with a DVI to HDMI cable.
I can't remember if I tried both ports (as I had weird image HDMI issues and swapped out some HDMI cables as well) but I can swap them and see if problem persists.
"the optimal resolution for the 5 series is 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. We recommend you set the output of that device to the optimal resolution."
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Found an online review of the PN51F4500, which I believe is the full model number of your set. Sorry, it's 720p native resolution, not 1080. http://www.hdtvuniverse.com/plasma-tv-reviews/samsung-pn51f4500-review/
I think you're best bet is to remain set at 720p. I think the quote you have there is for the more recent LED 5 Series sets, not your older plasma. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
slatham
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Found an online review of the PN51F4500, which I believe is the full model number of your set. Sorry, it's 720p native resolution, not 1080. http://www.hdtvuniverse.com/plasma-tv-reviews/samsung-pn51f4500-review/
I think you're best bet is to remain set at 720p. I think the quote you have there is for the more recent LED 5 Series sets, not your older plasma. 

I think you're right Dan, I do seem to recall the F in the model number.
Just out of curiosity, when I'm watching shows sometimes the screen will flicker (black out for a few seconds) and then the info page shows at the top and says something like 1920x1080 60p. What does that mean if it's not 1080 - is that just "image size" or something like that? When I still had the satellite, when I was switching channels, every few channels it would flicker and this same screen would come up and I could see the resolution changing. It was pretty obvious on some non HD stations that had "stretched" 4:3 images that didn't automatically correct (and usually those will be some other set of numbers, like 60i, or 720, etc.).
I learned early on that most of the broadcasts I was watching were not the greatest feeds anyway - some of the "HD" ones weren't always great - so it really depends on the content or the provider and what kind of feed they're sending you. So it's not a big deal, I just want to make sure I'm getting the best I can out of what I got. Certainly it's already better than my old internet. It's not as good as Satellite was, but some of the features and certainly the cost is so much better!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Screen "flicker" sounds like a loss of HDMI handshake, so it has to renegotiate between the devices. If it was indicated 1080, it's probably showing what the resolution of the connected device. When the handshake is completed, you get the info banner for a few seconds. As I mentioned, even through the TV is 720, it appears to accept a 1080 input. Since your TV and the Roku can't seem to get the resolution right, I suggest not using Auto for the Roku setting, and instead set it to 720 hard.
Dan
0 Kudos