Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Fast forward and reverse go at maximum speed since June 3rd 2020 update

Jump to solution

The old problem with fast forward and reverse is BACK on my Roku Express HD Streaming Media Player 2019. This device is only 7 months old and already it is not working. Apparently Roku did not test this update for my type of device. FF and FR go fast, really, really fast. For a short 1 sec press the video advances 2 minutes. Useless since the June 3, 2020 update. Why is no one else reporting this problem?

I have tried restarting using the remote and also resetting by cycling the power. No go. I am watching Prime and they say that it is not broken on their end. I guess it may be time to ditch ROKU and go back to PS3 or get a PS4. Pricey but DEPENDABLE.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Fast forward and reverse go at maximum speed since June 3rd 2020 update

Jump to solution

Perhaps you are correct. I am not sure. The malfunctioning fast forward and reverse coincided with the software update I got from Roku on June 5, 2020. I also contacted Amazon tech support and reported the issue. In any case, the FF and FR buttons are now working properly. They did not update the software again but perhaps the signals from the device are mediated by a server at Roku and the server software was patched. Or perhaps Roku was able to work with engineers at Amazon. In any case, it is now functioning correctly again so that means someone was paying attention at Roku and/or Amazon.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Multiple people reported this problem (only on Prime, it seems).  My suggestion to them was to use the Left/Right arrow buttons instead of Rewind/FF.  I never saw any response from Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you renojim,

Very kind of you to reply. I will try your suggestion next time I use Roku. I am back to my PS3. Only got Roku to use Apple TV+ where I had a free subscription for 6 months. It is about to expire so I no longer need Roku. Apple TV+ had some introductory programming which was very good. But they no longer are posting new content, understandably. So I do not need Roku any more.

The fact that they released and installed faulty updates on millions of systems shows how weak their technical department is. And then to not have phone support because of Covid is absurd since that is one of the things employees can do safely from home. I am no longer a fan of Roku and have posted reviews on three web sites where I shop a lot trying to warn others.

In any case, I appreciate your help and wish you the best.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

You can't blame Roku for an issue with just one app. Most likely Amazon either updated their app or other settings (many apps are just frameworks that download the full UI when started.) Many of the big names are trying to make all their apps work the same, whether you are on a TV or device with a normal set of keys, or a phone with no real keys...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Perhaps you are correct. I am not sure. The malfunctioning fast forward and reverse coincided with the software update I got from Roku on June 5, 2020. I also contacted Amazon tech support and reported the issue. In any case, the FF and FR buttons are now working properly. They did not update the software again but perhaps the signals from the device are mediated by a server at Roku and the server software was patched. Or perhaps Roku was able to work with engineers at Amazon. In any case, it is now functioning correctly again so that means someone was paying attention at Roku and/or Amazon.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This has been one of several problems with the latest Amazon Prime Video app update on my Roku box, and it continues to happen. Fast forward and reverse are completely useless as you cannot stop quick enough to avoid going 2-3 minutes in either direction within a second. There's also an issue with the app not remembering which episodes of a series have been viewed. Having these problems with CBS All Access through Amazon Prime Video and also BritBox through Amazon Prime Video, but not any other channel on Roku (such as Hulu or Netflix), so it's clearly a problem with the Amazon app update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the post. I noted a couple of weeks ago that FF and FR and now working on Prime through Roku on my system. Please read my most recent post before this. I hope you can get your system working again too. You could try unplugging the Roku, waiting 15 seconds and then plugging it back in. Sometimes that causes it to refresh itself and it could correct the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same problem here.

0 Kudos