Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Akisler

Express keeps going to home screen

I have this same issue with all apps except Netflix. The "solution" I found is to restart the Roku after turning it on, but before opening an app (settings, system, system restart, restart). If I do this, the apps no longer kick me back to the home screen until the next time I turn on the TV/Roku. It's an annoying step, but worth it for uninterrupted playback!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Pandamonium
Reel Rookie

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Thanks, Akisler. I’ll try this! My Roku is less than a week old and is doing this every few minutes. If this doesn’t work for me, I’ll have to return it.

0 Kudos
Pandamonium
Reel Rookie

I wonder if linking Rokus has anything to do with this problem. With a house full of Rokus, I don’t always see when other people are watching, and maybe somehow when one of my children closes a show and goes to another one, it maybe reverts my screen to home. Odd, but possible? Some people have mentioned that they have multiple Roku units. Is anyone running into this problem with just one Roku on their account?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The Express uses an IR remote, so if the remote for another Roku is within visual range it's certainly possible that they have accidentally controlled yours as well. But IR remotes require direct line of sight, and won't work through walls. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Pandamonium
Reel Rookie

Good point. I didn’t think of this aspect, but I was considering the fact that while the rokus were linked on the same account maybe it could have caused a software glitch, possibly. Your point seems more logical, but they are definitely all in different rooms with walls and doors between them.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue you are experiencing, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SabiStar7

I'm having the issue with one Roku, on any app if streaming for several hours, I'll be watching a show and it will kick me back to the home screen. I have tried the steps listed and nothing has worked not even rebooting/resetting my modem. Seriously thinking about going back to a cable service so I'm not continuously streaming on my Roku😓

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@SabiStar7, if it happens after several hours ensure "Bandwith saver" is set to "Off" under Settings->Network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos