Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QCBB
Channel Surfer

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

@KelleyCat ROKU makes an excellent device, when it comes to live streaming, as long as it is the ROKU stick. A fire stick does not even compare, when used for live streaming. This is something that happens with the express, but our customers do not see it when using the sticks. When we explain it to our customers, I explain it this way. Take a smart TV that has Hulu Live on it, we have seen the same issues with them. While the customer is watching, the tv will freeze up. When they call and tell us what it has done, the first thing we have them do is unplug it, then plug it back in, then it works. (This is while they are live streaming) So what we believe is the processor in the tv cannot handle the live stream over a long period of time. 
What we have seen with the ROKU Express, has the same exact traits as the smart tv’s while streaming. It is my belief, from what we have seen with our customers is the older versions, that can be updated, but is no longer supported, the processors cannot keep up. Thus “kicking” people out of their shows. The newer Roku sticks have the Quadcore processors in them. I am going to put a link here that explains some of the older update able Roku’s. Even though you can update the software, you cannot update the hardware.

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

0 Kudos
JorgePiper
Reel Rookie

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution

I just bought a new Express stick and Ive the same problem, after watching any app (hulu, netflix, YouTube) it kicks me out to home!! How can i fix it??

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JorgePiper wrote:

I just bought a new Express stick and I've the same problem, after watching any app (hulu, netflix, YouTube) it kicks me out to home!! How can i fix it??

The Express and the Streaming Stick are two different players. Which do you have? 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
KelleyCat
Reel Rookie

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Spew your garbage excuses elsewhere. You won't fix it is the bottom line. This happened after the update in mid Nov 2020. It was fine before then and now i can't watch anything for more than 5 minutes. That isn't right. I have done all the resetting a reloading **bleep**, and it doesn't correct the problem.

So your answer is buy another one. Others in this thread with the product you recommend are have the same issue and the *restart it* fix doesn't work there either.

No, I'll find another service.

0 Kudos
greg55
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I fought this problem for months. I have found a solution.  I bought a HDMI to Rca device on amazon and connected Roku to this device then to the TV via RCA cable that came with the device.. Bingo the problems gone.

Without getting to technical , It appears as some streaming has data that your TV doesnt like so the TV kicks the Roku device off the HDMI port.   Since there is no data interaction between the TV's RCA connection and the Roku , the Roku doesnt pass the questionable data to the TV so the TV's does not respond by kicking the Roku off the HDMI Port.

0 Kudos
greg55
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I fought this problem for months. I have found a solution.  I bought a HDMI to Rca device on amazon and connected Roku to this device then to the TV via RCA cable that came with the device.. Bingo the problems gone.

Without getting to technical , It appears as some streaming has data that your TV doesnt like so the TV kicks the Roku device off the HDMI port.   Since there is no data interaction between the TV's RCA connection and the Roku , the Roku doesnt pass the questionable data to the TV so the TV's does not respond by kicking the Roku off the HDMI Port.

0 Kudos
greg55
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

greg55
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
greg55
Binge Watcher

Re: Express keeps going to home screen Solved

Jump to solution

Without getting to technical , It appears as some streaming has data that your TV doesnt like so the TV kicks the Roku device off the HDMI port.   Since there is no data interaction between the TV's RCA connection and the Roku , the Roku doesnt pass the questionable data to the TV so the TV's does not respond by kicking the Roku off the HDMI Port. You can get the convertor from Amazon

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Express keeps going to home screen Solved

Jump to solution

The problem with converting to RCA connections is you've lost the high definition picture, and any possible surround sound. You can only get standard definition video and two channel stereo with RCA connections. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos