Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pilotbobc
Reel Rookie

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner, thanks for the post. However I posted for informational purposes to possibly help others with this issue. I don’t have this issue myself, but did when I first bought my first SE device   

FYI, when I had the issue, the Roku would shutdown and reboot.  No errors, just instantly stopped and rebooted on the middle of a show or movie.  TV model is unimportant since this is an easy test for anyone. Simply adding an external power supply to the Roku SE and the provided the additional current needed to keep the box stable and functioning in my case. 

I have a BS in electronic engineering and have worked in the AV industry for 4 decades.  My take on what’s going on is that the hardware is running hot with more and more complex apps and even new Roku firmware.  The original firmware probably was right at the verge of pulling 1 amp.  Add more lines of code and things heat up a tiny bit more and boom... we exceed the current that a 1 amp TV USB port can provide. (Some newer sets have 2.5 amp ports, so won’t have this issue).  The Roku freezes, locks up or just loses power when it can’t pull the extra current it needs.

Solution?  Give it more current by adding a beefier external supply. It worked 3 out of 3 times for me at different family members’ homes. All you need is any 1.5 Amp or higher USB cell phone charger block. (This is clearly marked on all but the cheapest... and if not marked, you can assume 1 amp or less.)

If this helps one person it was worth posting   

0 Kudos
garyb

Re: Apps won't open

Jump to solution

Have the same issue for the first time today.  Only 50% of my channels will load.

cmkeaton
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Keeps returning to homescreen

Jump to solution

Not having the pause problem but the roku will return to the home screen while I'm watching any programs from you tube tv.  I've notice that it happens almost every half hour.  I've checked my settings on roku and turned off the screen saver setting all together.  Also checked my tv settings to make sure there is no timer setting there.  Other than those two areas cannot figure out why it continues to do this, but only on the bedroom tv.

I've checked community posts before and see numerous customers are having the same problem.  Have performed the procedures like unplugging the roku stick, restarting the system, etc. without any success.

Any thoughts??

0 Kudos

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Thank you, this worked!

0 Kudos
Ollie18
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

After months now, trying different units which work fine for several weeks and then show same behavior, I fixed the issue. Got rid of Roku and bought appletv. 

roku - you guys def had something going, but this issue killed it for me. Good luck.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Disney Plus, Netflix, Hulu not working – crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

@autumncody11 @garyb 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend rebooting your network and your Roku device. Then try removing the channels from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channels back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Snell

Jump to solution

Restarting does not solve this problem! Unplugging for a minute, then plugging back in does not solve this problem!

Very frustrating!

0 Kudos
QCBB
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Do not buy the Rokus’ in the Blue box, because we’ve had nothing but problems with them and they do not have 5 ghz. The 2.4 spectrum is noisy and will cause problems. We only recommend to any of our customers now, to buy the Roku in the Green or Grey box. After trying thousands of these with our customers,  we recommend you to buy any stick with the 5 ghz. If it doesn’t have it don’t buy it. 

0 Kudos
cmkeaton
Reel Rookie

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution

I would like this post to be seen by the roku customer service people,  I have seen this same problem posted by roku users for at least the past two years, if not longer.  There appears to be no solution to this problem.   Obviously is not a tv problem, it's a roku problem without a solution.  But ultimately the customer has to live with this problem and ultimate frustration!

0 Kudos
Emel_28

Why does Netflix keep crashing on my TV?

Jump to solution

Does Anyone know why Netflix is crashing? As soon as I click the apps it opens and then crashes. I have WiFi within my home and since the day I brought the tv it has done this. Even Hulu is crashing. It will allow me to choose a program to watch then when it’s time to play the show it crashes also. Does anyone have any advice?