Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

My youtube freezes then returns to ROKU bootup screen.  The ISSUE ID is 8A-049-958.  Thanks Adam

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with my Roku 3 4200 series. It doesn't matter which site I am using they will all randomly just send me back to the home screen. Or it says I haven't touched my remote in quite a while and will send me back to then home screen. Isn't there any way to stop this from happening??? Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@barbshriner Thanks for the note. Have you disabled the 'Bandwidth saver' feature for your device? When enabled, this feature wills top playback after a number of hours if no input is received from the user to confirm that they are still watching. You can disable this in Settings>Network>Bandwidth saver 

Some channels also have their own version of this functionality, that may prompt a user to confirm if they are still watching after a period of time in order to continue playing content. If the issue is only occurring in a specific channel(s), I might recommend checking with any channel provider directly as well to see if they have any additional options for you. 

Please keep us posted from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD 

Thank you so much for the bandwidth tip! I sleep with my tv on and my Roku just started returning to the home screen in the last week or so. I’ve been trying to figure out what changed, as the CBS All Access app never timed out on its own before and the sound turning off was waking me up. I finally saw the “remote hasn’t been used” message and found your post using that search. I’m so glad I found this thread!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Is anyone else STILL having this problem? I have tried every suggestion (restarted it through the system and by unplugging it, uninstalling and reinstalling all apps, etc). When will this be fixed? I am so frustrated and just want to be done with roku. This started after the last software update. I tried going back to the previous software version and of course, it wouldn’t let me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi fellow Roku SE and others.  I didn’t see what I’m presenting anywhere in this thread so here goes...  If you don’t have your Roku connected to an external USB power supply, then connect one.  I would use a 2.0amp or higher, but I did use a standard iPhone 1.0amp block on one SE and it’s fine too. 

Blame Roku, blame the upgrade, but just do this. I had this problem on Hulu more than others for weeks. Then it dawned on me... This could be an under powered device problem.  My Sharp LED TV is pretty new and still couldn’t even supply a constant 1 amp.  Adding an external USB power supply fixed the Hulu shutdown as well as the other intermittent shutdowns I was experiencing.  

Pilotbobc

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I still have this issue. I only have 5 apps installed ( YouTube, YouTubeTV, Disney+, Vudu and Netflix) and every one of them closes after about a half hour of playback. What’s the deal?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Mgmk wrote:

I still have this issue. I only have 5 apps installed ( YouTube, YouTubeTV, Disney+, Vudu and Netflix) and every one of them closes after about a half hour of playback. What’s the deal?

It appears to be specific to the Express. My Ultra and Premiere players, as well as my Roku TV don't do that. It also appears to be random, as it doesn't happen with every Express. That makes troubleshooting extremely difficult. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Mgmk Thanks for reaching out here. A few more questions to better understand the issue you're seeing: 

- In Settings>Network>Bandwidth saver, have you disabled this feature? Does the issue still occur from there? 

- What brand and specific model of TV is your device connected to? Have you tried connecting the device to a different TV to see if that same issue still occurs? 

- Do you see any error message or dialogue on the screen when you experience playback stopping in a channel? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner, thanks for the post. However I posted for informational purposes to possibly help others with this issue. I don’t have this issue myself, but did when I first bought my first SE device   

FYI, when I had the issue, the Roku would shutdown and reboot.  No errors, just instantly stopped and rebooted on the middle of a show or movie.  TV model is unimportant since this is an easy test for anyone. Simply adding an external power supply to the Roku SE and the provided the additional current needed to keep the box stable and functioning in my case. 

I have a BS in electronic engineering and have worked in the AV industry for 4 decades.  My take on what’s going on is that the hardware is running hot with more and more complex apps and even new Roku firmware.  The original firmware probably was right at the verge of pulling 1 amp.  Add more lines of code and things heat up a tiny bit more and boom... we exceed the current that a 1 amp TV USB port can provide. (Some newer sets have 2.5 amp ports, so won’t have this issue).  The Roku freezes, locks up or just loses power when it can’t pull the extra current it needs.

Solution?  Give it more current by adding a beefier external supply. It worked 3 out of 3 times for me at different family members’ homes. All you need is any 1.5 Amp or higher USB cell phone charger block. (This is clearly marked on all but the cheapest... and if not marked, you can assume 1 amp or less.)

If this helps one person it was worth posting   

0 Kudos