Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution

@Becca_Langston @CatGuyTX 

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the issue you're running into. Could you please send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, the name of example channels you've watched when you observe this issue occurring, and the specific make/model of TV that your Roku device is connected to? 

If you haven't already, try removing any impacted channel from the Roku home screen, then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your device loads up again, then add the channel back once more and see if the behavior continues.

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
jmaybe

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

My youtube freezes then returns to ROKU bootup screen.  The ISSUE ID is 8A-049-958.  Thanks Adam

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with my Roku 3 4200 series. It doesn't matter which site I am using they will all randomly just send me back to the home screen. Or it says I haven't touched my remote in quite a while and will send me back to then home screen. Isn't there any way to stop this from happening??? Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@barbshriner Thanks for the note. Have you disabled the 'Bandwidth saver' feature for your device? When enabled, this feature wills top playback after a number of hours if no input is received from the user to confirm that they are still watching. You can disable this in Settings>Network>Bandwidth saver 

Some channels also have their own version of this functionality, that may prompt a user to confirm if they are still watching after a period of time in order to continue playing content. If the issue is only occurring in a specific channel(s), I might recommend checking with any channel provider directly as well to see if they have any additional options for you. 

Please keep us posted from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

mel82178

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD 

Thank you so much for the bandwidth tip! I sleep with my tv on and my Roku just started returning to the home screen in the last week or so. I’ve been trying to figure out what changed, as the CBS All Access app never timed out on its own before and the sound turning off was waking me up. I finally saw the “remote hasn’t been used” message and found your post using that search. I’m so glad I found this thread!

0 Kudos
kmont04257

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Is anyone else STILL having this problem? I have tried every suggestion (restarted it through the system and by unplugging it, uninstalling and reinstalling all apps, etc). When will this be fixed? I am so frustrated and just want to be done with roku. This started after the last software update. I tried going back to the previous software version and of course, it wouldn’t let me.

0 Kudos
Pilotbobc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi fellow Roku SE and others.  I didn’t see what I’m presenting anywhere in this thread so here goes...  If you don’t have your Roku connected to an external USB power supply, then connect one.  I would use a 2.0amp or higher, but I did use a standard iPhone 1.0amp block on one SE and it’s fine too. 

Blame Roku, blame the upgrade, but just do this. I had this problem on Hulu more than others for weeks. Then it dawned on me... This could be an under powered device problem.  My Sharp LED TV is pretty new and still couldn’t even supply a constant 1 amp.  Adding an external USB power supply fixed the Hulu shutdown as well as the other intermittent shutdowns I was experiencing.  

Pilotbobc

Mgmk

Jump to solution

I still have this issue. I only have 5 apps installed ( YouTube, YouTubeTV, Disney+, Vudu and Netflix) and every one of them closes after about a half hour of playback. What’s the deal?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Mgmk wrote:

I still have this issue. I only have 5 apps installed ( YouTube, YouTubeTV, Disney+, Vudu and Netflix) and every one of them closes after about a half hour of playback. What’s the deal?

It appears to be specific to the Express. My Ultra and Premiere players, as well as my Roku TV don't do that. It also appears to be random, as it doesn't happen with every Express. That makes troubleshooting extremely difficult. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Mgmk Thanks for reaching out here. A few more questions to better understand the issue you're seeing: 

- In Settings>Network>Bandwidth saver, have you disabled this feature? Does the issue still occur from there? 

- What brand and specific model of TV is your device connected to? Have you tried connecting the device to a different TV to see if that same issue still occurs? 

- Do you see any error message or dialogue on the screen when you experience playback stopping in a channel? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos