Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blabla
Channel Surfer

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

It worked for 3 months and now it's doing it again.

0 Kudos
Dexthor
Channel Surfer

Re: Express shuts down fubo turns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Agreed. It happens with Disney+, Xfinity, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hotstar... and any reasonable streaming app one would want to use.. But you’re correct, it only happens on Roku Ultra, but not older models. 

Shame on you Roku, why is it so hard to fix or rollback the recent update?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GABnet wrote:

Nobody will listen to me.  Roku is oblivious to criticism.  The problem is in both of my ROKU ULTRAS.  It doesn't happen on my other models.

Well, I'm not Roku, but I did listen. I tested both of my Ultra players and didn't have a problem. One one of them I also tested playing a file via USB rather than DLNA, then played an hour long video on YouTube. Never jumped back to the home screen. So it doesn't appear that the RMP channel has any impact. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Dexthor
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I dont have Roku stick, but the problem is with “Roku Ultra running latest Software update, released in September”. So, dont update the software if you have Ultra. That will break the device. I stopped using my Ultra and went back to my old Roku 3. Everything works just fine there...

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Blabla @Dexthor  Thanks for the notes here. 

A few more questions to help better understand the issue you're seeing: 

- When did you first observe the issue occurring? 

- What specific model of Roku device are you using from Settings>System>About? (such as 3900X, 3710X, etc.) 

- Does this occur with ALL channels on your Roku device, or only specific channels? If only specific channels, please specify which. 

- Have you tried performing these steps in order? 

1. Remove the channel from your Roku device by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key, and            choosing 'Remove channel'.

2. Restart your device from Settings>System>System restart

3. Once your device has restarted, add the channel back one more and test if this resolves the issue. 

- Have you tried connecting your device to a different network to see if the same issue occurs, such as a mobile hotspot? 

- Do you have any network security, filtering or traffic blocking services enabled that may prevent your device from communicating with your network in any way? If so, does disabling this resolve the issue? (Note: The use of any software or devices to block or restrict network traffic from your device is not supported, and may result in unexpected behavior, including channels not working properly.)

Please keep us posted from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Dexthor
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here are my responses..

#1. Removing adding channels... yes, have done this more than 10 times.. And sometimes, more than once on a same day. Yes, its that bad and broken. 

#2. Restart device — Of course... I’m a Technical Product Manager of multiple channels. Have gone through all to figure out the problem pattern. The problem is “Roku Ultra, with September OS fix”

#3 Yes, removed, restarted and readded channels sooo many times. If you have any logging, you can see, I literally tried to do this soo many times with multiple Apps. The problem is that, it works everytime you remove and add.. And breaks just when you switch back from another stream.. Soo, predictable and yet not definitive. 

And who are we kidding? We all have some sort of network security cuz we dont want to be hacked by a kid on internet.  So, look at Network Filters, Parental Controls, Adguards, DNS filters and stupid **bleep**.. Test for them and get your act together.  Ultra doesnt deserve $0.02 with these problems. And thats an assessment for a seasoned Product Manager.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Dexthor  Thanks for the details. Sorry for any confusion—I was specifically referring to targeted measures taken to limit network activity on/from your Roku device itself, such as trying to block ad server addresses, etc.  These types of mechanisms are not a supported use-case, and may cause unexpected behaviors from channels (apps). I would recommend contacting any channel (app) provider/developer that you are experiencing an issue with, describing the scenario and providing details about any network blocking or filtering you have in place, and see how they may be able to assist you further. Roku doesn't develop most channels (apps)—these are developed by each channel service provider directly. They would be able to best answer any questions around dependencies within their channels, or provide additional support or guidance regarding their channel functionality. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
CatGuyTX

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Does it on several apps. Just started about a week ago. I'll be enough I can somewhat predict when it's going to do it every 30 minutes or every hour. I know that sounds strange but it's been doing it for 2 days and the first time it does it I'll look the clock second time it does it I look at the clock it's either 30 minutes or 1 hour later. Resetting the device did not solve the issue. Check for updates and the boxes up to date. Mine is a Roku 3 I've had the box for many years.

@RokuTannerD wrote:

Thanks again for your patience everyone.

Good news—we believe this issue should now be resolved. Please go ahead and try restarting your devices, then playing content again. You can restart your device from Settings>System>System restart, or by disconnecting the power for a minute or two. This should clear things up and get you back on track. 

Please keep us posted if you're still seeing this issue after you've tried simply restarting your device, and/or troubleshooting the channel installation (remove the channel, restart your device, reinstall the channel).

Thanks! 

Tanner

0 Kudos

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution

My roku has been going to home screen every half hour for a few days. I tried restarting from "settings" and tried to restart by unplugging my roku and then plugging back in after a few minutes.  It has not resolved the problem. 

0 Kudos
GABnet
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Good news my backside.  It still does it!

0 Kudos