Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing the experiences here. If you are experiencing this issue while watching multiple, different streaming channels (apps) on your device, please provide the following information: 

- Roku device model number from Settings>System>About 

- Your TV's specific make and model number 

- Is your device connected to your TV using an HDMI cable, or via a composite cable (red/white/yellow)?

- Have you tried the following steps, in order: 1. Removing the channel(s) from the Roku home screen. 2. Restarting your device from Settings>System>System restart 3. Adding the channel(s) back again - Does this resolve the issue? 

- What is the specific length of time that you are able to watch content before playback stops and you are returned to the Roku home screen? 

We can help pass these details along to the team to take a look from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
GABnet
Binge Watcher

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Ridiculous bunch of questions because we have stated the facts along with many other people.

- Roku device model number from Settings>System>About 

They are 4640X- Roku Ultra and 4670X-Roku Ultra So far it doesn't do it on my TCL Roku TV

- Your TV's specific make and model number 

Don't know model number:  one is an LG 65" and the other a Samsung 55"

- Is your device connected to your TV using an HDMI cable, or via a composite cable (red/white/yellow)?

HDMI

- Have you tried the following steps, in order: 1. Removing the channel(s) from the Roku home screen. 2. Restarting your device from Settings>System>System restart 3. Adding the channel(s) back again - Does this resolve the issue? 

Yes.  But it does this on more than one,  There are several like HBO, TCM and even 2 channels I produce and post.  Hulu is not one of them.  There may be more but theses are channels I frequent.

- What is the specific length of time that you are able to watch content before playback stops and you are returned to the Roku home screen? 

Unpredictable, but if I had to say, at least once a day.  A reboot clears it up. 

What is the specific length of time that you are able to watch content before playback stops and you are returned to the Roku home screen? 

Idoesn't play content, it just goes back to the main screen.

0 Kudos
Dexthor
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

When will Roku take responsibility for the November Software goof up and fix the problem? If you cant fix it, why dont you offer a roll back to Ultra customers?

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@GABnet Thanks for the note. Although it may appear similar, the behavior you are describing is not the same as this original topic thread. (That issue has since been resolved.) I'm happy to gather more details though and share them with our team. A few more questions here: 

- Have you installed any private, non-certified channels onto your account/device? 

- Have you tried performing a full factory reset on your unit to see if the same behavior occurs? 

- Have you tried connecting the device to a different TV to see if you observe this issue? 

I might suggest that you try creating a new Roku account, without adding any additional channels at first. Perform a factory reset on your device to remove all data, channels, etc. Then, link it to the new test account. Add one channel at a time and try playing content. From there, systematically observe when and if the issue occurs again. What was the last channel you added? When exactly did the issue occur; during playback, when you launched the channel, etc.

If the behavior occurs again, create an issue tracker report ID by pressing the Home button 5 times quickly, followed by the Back button 5 times quickly on your remote. Please send me a private message from there with your Roku account email address that the player is linked to, the serial number of the player from Settings>System>About, the name of the channel and the behavior you observed, as well as the issue tracker report ID you generated. With this information, we can pass your example along to the team to take a closer look. 

0 Kudos
GABnet
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

- Have you installed any private, non-certified channels onto your account/device? 

NO

- Have you tried performing a full factory reset on your unit to see if the same behavior occurs? 

YES

- Have you tried connecting the device to a different TV to see if you observe this issue? 

YES

I think I know what may be causing it.  It is your ROKU Media Player.   This problem almost always happens after I have used your file program.  There is something in the fle program that is interfering with the Roku functioning properly ,

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GABnet wrote:

I think I know what may be causing it.  It is your ROKU Media Player.   This problem almost always happens after I have used your file program.  There is something in the fle program that is interfering with the Roku functioning properly ,

I use RMP and YouTube all the time, and haven't encountered that problem. Are you playing media from a USB connected drive, or are you streaming from a networked DLNA server? 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
GABnet
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

DLNA server

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@GABnet wrote:

DLNA server

OK, same way I use mine. I recognize the casual relation between the two events, but I doubt that's it. Does it happen every time after using RMP that YouTube will shut down? Any variation based on different media played? And is the 30 minute time period for YouTube to return to the home page fairly consistent? If so, I'll try that scenario myself this evening. 

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Just ran a test with my Ultra 4640. I first played a video from my DLNA server with RMP which lasted about 22 minutes. I then went into YouTube and found a video that was longer than 30 minutes and began playback. I'm now 43 minutes into that video without being kicked back to the Roku home screen. So there's one data point that RMP isn't causing an issue with YouTube. Wish I had something more encouraging to offer. 

Dan

0 Kudos
GABnet
Binge Watcher

Re: Express shuts down fubo turns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Nobody will listen to me.  Roku is oblivious to criticism.  The problem is in both of my ROKU ULTRAS.  It doesn't happen on my other models.  After a while the apps launch but then after a while of nothing happening go back to the main screen.  It can be HBO, TCM, YOU TUBE even my own created channels that are affected. Being that my channels are affected and I am the creator and I have changed nothing since this problem began indicates that it is not the publishers who are to blame. The only way to correct this is to restart the ROKU.  I believe this may be caused by the ROKU FILE PLAYER.  This seems to happen after I watch some files I have stored on networked drives via DLNA.  Roku should check the integrity of the File player as it may be the culprit.  Too many people are having this problem and I'm not going to buy another model just to make it go away.  ROKU SHOULD LISTEN AND MAKE IT GO AWAY!!!!,