Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
She1ly

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

@steve-o wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask whether or not this could be a hardware issue, as I am on 9.1 and still have this problem. My express was purchased in October of 2017, it's two years old. Anyone on this forum seeing this behavior with newer units? Perhaps older units are defective and failing.

I purchased my Roku Express+ in April 2019. It worked OK for six months, and then about two weeks ago it started returning to the home screen every 30 to 60 minutes automatically. My system update screen says version 9.1.0.

KM2010
Reel Rookie

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

In the effort of trying to diagnose this problem, post your router make and model. I've read a couple things that might indicate the router being corrupted.

Belkin N600 DB N+

Model: F9K1102V1

https://www.pcmag.com/news/337421/belkin-router-vulnerable-to-hacks

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for continuing to let us know what you're experiencing. If you are running into an issue with a channel exiting, please make sure you have tried the following steps to troubleshoot the channel(s): 

1. Remove the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key and choosing 'Remove channel'.

2. Next, go to Settings>System>System restart and restart your Roku device. 

3. Once your device starts up again, add the channel back once more from 'Streaming channels'. 

4. Try playing content again. 

If the issue occurs again, please generate an issue report tracker ID by pressing the Home button 5 times quickly, followed by the Back button 5 times quickly. Once you have this number, please send me a private message with your Roku's serial number from Settings>System>About, a description of the channel and content you were watching (live TV channel, on-demand streaming video, etc.), and the issue report tracker ID that you created.

We are continuing to investigate these reports and work towards identifying a solution. The details requested above help provide helpful insights in that effort. 

Thanks! 

Tanner

steve-o
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@KM2010 wrote:

In the effort of trying to diagnose this problem, post your router make and model. I've read a couple things that might indicate the router being corrupted.

Belkin N600 DB N+

Model: F9K1102V1

https://www.pcmag.com/news/337421/belkin-router-vulnerable-to-hacks

Apple Airport Extreme

0 Kudos
Praffloer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
My roku is still having the same issue. I have 7 roku devices in my home this is the only one having this problem. It is a model #3910RW Roku Express + serial # YG000 442394 software version 9.1.0 build 4919-51 Device id#C53930442394 please help.
machina-x
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This thread was started by a Roku user in 2018 whose device would interrupt streaming and abruptly return to the home screen. So, if that is your problem too, then you have come to the right place in seeking a solution.

This thread was not started by someone complaining that Roku firmware version 9.2 is causing his/her device to interrupt streaming and abruptly return to the home screen.

So, anyone who wants to ignore the origins of this thread and form a theory about their device malfunction based entirely around a firmware release which didn't exist when the thread was started, no one is going to stop you. Have at it.

What those people are not going to do, at least without being called out as narcissistic binary-thinking morons, is to assert that people who don't support their narrative are "shilling" for the company who makes the product about which they are publicly complaining. For one thing, that's so obviously not how shilling works. And anyone who wants to support that sort of irrational thinking, even obliquely, is proving to be just as irrational.

I'm here to discuss the problem with my Roku device -- the very same problem described in the thread title. And just like the guy who started the thread, the problem with my Roku device was not caused by firmware v9.2.; those of us who are in the same situation ought not let this thread become exclusively focused on that firmware release.

To have it stated that the problem with my Roku device -- the same problem the thread was started to discuss -- is part of "other issues" which "may" exist only serves to show how some people have taken ownership of the discussion.

0 Kudos
joe1959
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I understand your frustration.  Perhaps there should have been two separate threads. 

One question that arises is the amount of time that had passed and the activity level of the latest threads relative to those from the initial report.  Was there a huge time lapse between the original post and the most recent threads?  Was the initial issue resolved?  Was the thread idle for a significant period?  If so, why wasn't the thread closed?

Perhaps they are indeed related to one another.  Hence the extreme difficulty tech support is having to identify the problem.  There are many different Roku units out there experiencing unique problems with various builds.  

Given such, it would appear sensible to compartmentalize both common and unique issues by Roku Player and Build.  That way, techs can compare apples to apples in search of specific problems shared in common by those using specific Players with specific builds.

The most recent rash of problems appear to be occurring with Express units, and until recently, that's what the majority of most recent comment threads reflected.   

Does this have specific pertinence to the initial thread?  Yes, in one sense that users streams were interrupted and they were being taken back to the home screen. 

However, despite that, the recent rash of incidents surrounded Express units specifically. In numerous instances, the problem was corrected with a reversion back to an older build.  So in that sense, though it's similar, it's not truly part of the old thread even though the current "express" issues are dishing out similar problems.   

At the end of the day, what everyone wants is a broad-based solution that will alleviate the specific issues each individual is having with their unique players and builds.  Hopefully, they will get to the bottom of things Player by Player and Build by Build.  In the interim it will remain rather frustrating for all involved, especially so for the end-users experiencing the persistent glitches.

treagle
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem in any app I have tried (PBS, Pluto, YouTube).  30 minutes and then tossed to home screen.  I have installed updates, restarted my Express, rebooted my router, unplugged and restarted my Express, all without success.

I am considering resetting my Express to factory settings.  Would you recommend this option?  Thanks

0 Kudos
machina-x
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

joe1959:

In an organism or a mechanism that which triggers a particular response isn't necessarily the cause of said response.

Apart from things like bee stings and eating certain kinds of nuts, anaphylactic shock can be triggered in some people by a dose of penicillin. The takeaway from that is not that "Penicillin causes anaphylaxis and should be banned!" What all people prone to anaphylaxis have in common is that their immune systems can be made to overreact to something which is not inherently life-threatening.

It hasn't occurred to you that for some the 9.2 firmware update may have been the trigger for a problem which is common to many, if not all, Roku devices, and that there are different triggers which can activate that same problematic device behavior.

The thread is intended for people who are having the problem with interrupted streaming, and that includes people who started experiencing the problem after performing the 9.2 update. That update very well may have been the trigger for, but is obviously not the direct cause of the problem. There doesn't need to be, nor should there be a different thread for the v9.2 people. You simply don't get to push the rest of us to the margins because you're satisfied that you know what's happening and what needs to be done about it. Your "solution" isn't any benefit to the rest of us.

And no, I haven't forgotten that your response to a person who called me a "troll" and who accused me of "shilling" for Roku (by exposing years worth of public complaints about their devices) is to say that his suspicions are "natural, logical, and grounded in reality."

0 Kudos
machina-x
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@treagle wrote:

I am having the same problem in any app I have tried (PBS, Pluto, YouTube).  30 minutes and then tossed to home screen.  I have installed updates, restarted my Express, rebooted my router, unplugged and restarted my Express, all without success.

I am considering resetting my Express to factory settings.  Would you recommend this option?  Thanks

In my case performing a factory reset did suspend the stream interruption for about 4 hours. But after that the device reverted to the bad behavior.

0 Kudos