Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DocA1
Binge Watcher

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

I have made some observations about what to do to fix this problem that seem to make no sense. I have also discovered some things that bother me:

Observation #1: Before doing a Roku-recommended "factory  reset", they tell us to remove all the channels that are giving us problems. That would mean removing every channel on our Rokus and only having the Roku Channel left! We would then have to re-install every channel we previously had, yet the problem is usually not resolved. This, to me, is maddening. And why is it that the Roku Channel is not affected by this problem?

Things that bother me #1: People who previously were able to roll back to a previous version of the update no longer can. This usually happens after giving Roku the serial number of their unit. Is there a correlation? All things considered, I would have to say yes.

More observations to follow. I'm not trying to be difficult here. It's just that I think that Roku is fully aware of the bug, but are trying their hardest to cover it up. Why? That's the question.

machina-x
Channel Surfer

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

@DocA1 wrote:

I should also state that I have been a Roku user since 2010, yet this is the first time I have ever had a major problem with any of their devices. I have three other models of Roku in my apartment and, until recently, swore by their reliability. I had to do research on my own because all Roku ever gave me were pre-programmed answers that had absolutely nothing to do with my problem. In all certainty, I will be looking at different companies for my next streaming device, mainly because of the way Roku is handling this mess. It is totally unacceptable that such a "trusted" company would refuse to say that there is a bug in their update, when it is obvious that there is. And if anyone thinks I don't know what I am talking about, then you obviously don't know me. I don't willy-nilly accuse any companies of a cover-up, but it is rather obvious that Roku is fully aware of this problem, especially with all that is written in this group. So why aren't they doing anything about it?

I'm frankly very confused as to why you are wedded to the idea that this problem is necessarily caused by a bug in the latest firmware update, and that Roku is trying to "cover up" that bug.

The existence of a software bug which affects multiple generations of Roku devices across the entire product line is a cat which has long since escaped the bag. Any attempted "cover-up" on the part of the company has been a devastating failure.

All Roku users who have had this problem over the years can make the same statement you have: none of us had ever experienced the problem before -- until we did. All of us can insist that the last thing to happen which coincided with the emergence of the problem must be the cause of the problem, but then that could point to potentially dozens of different culprits.

Here, for example, is a forum in which people who use Roku along with their Tablo DVRs complain about the exact same problem. This is a thread from 2016; and this one is from 2014.

But because you never had the problem before now, all the rest of us, over all these years, must be dealing with a completely different issue (or issues) which happen(s) to have the exact same manifestation. I find that logic baffling.

And if this issue is related to firmware, what's undeniably true is over the last 9 years, while you were satisfied with the function of your Roku devices, other people had right to assert that the firmware installed on all those devices was just as buggy as the one that you insist is the subject of a "cover-up."

And finally, if the 9.2 firmware was the sole cause of this problem, then every Roku device which ran that version would do the 30 Min Homescreen Kickback™. I don't think that's the case, so that just one more hole in that theory.

That on which we can agree is the Roku has not done enough toward solving this problem.

0 Kudos
DocA1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

maxhine-x: Speaking from a personal standpoint, I never had a problem with any of my Roku devices until the day my Express + was updated with 9.2. Therefore, it only makes sense that 9.2 was the cause of the problem,. The fact that this happened to many Express + users on the same day they were updated also verifies my suspicion that 9.2 was the cause. I don't know why you are challenging me on this, but I get the feeling that you are trying to soften Roku's role in all this. Yes, it is possible that 9.2 may not be the cause of problems with non-Express+ users, but I find it funny that many people had the same problem as me on this forum. Now multiply that by 10 when dealing with people that have no idea that this forum exists and what you have is one major problem. Mt only problem is how Roku is addressing this problem. They are acting like it is not an issue, but try telling that to the people who are having this problem. I can guarantee it is a major issue to them and I have no doubts that Roku is going to lose many customers to the competition due to the way that they are handling this. So swipe away at my posts. It makes no difference to me. I feel for the people who can't watch a movie straight through without having to log back in at least three times. My solution worked for me and I just wanted people to know that there was one solution that worked. Nothing more, nothing less.

0 Kudos
machina-x
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@DocA1 wrote:

maxhine-x: Speaking from a personal standpoint, I never had a problem with any of my Roku devices until the day my Express + was updated with 9.2. Therefore, it only makes sense that 9.2 was the cause of the problem,. The fact that this happened to many Express + users on the same day they were updated also verifies my suspicion that 9.2 was the cause. I don't know why you are challenging me on this, but I get the feeling that you are trying to soften Roku's role in all this. Yes, it is possible that 9.2 may not be the cause of problems with non-Express+ users, but I find it funny that many people had the same problem as me on this forum. Now multiply that by 10 when dealing with people that have no idea that this forum exists and what you have is one major problem. Mt only problem is how Roku is addressing this problem. They are acting like it is not an issue, but try telling that to the people who are having this problem. I can guarantee it is a major issue to them and I have no doubts that Roku is going to lose many customers to the competition due to the way that they are handling this. So swipe away at my posts. It makes no difference to me. I feel for the people who can't watch a movie straight through without having to log back in at least three times. My solution worked for me and I just wanted people to know that there was one solution that worked. Nothing more, nothing less.

Don't know how I can respond in a way which won't seem hostile. You're restating assertions which I've already addressed in my reply to you. Doing that gives the appearance that you are replying to me without actually reading what I wrote.

Speaking from a personal standpoint, I never had a problem with any of my Roku devices until the day my Express + was updated with 9.2. Therefore, it only makes sense that 9.2 was the cause of the problem,.

And I already explained why this logic is fallacious.

The fact that this happened to many Express + users on the same day they were updated also verifies my suspicion that 9.2 was the cause.

Your theory regarding the cause of the problem is not "verified" by the fact that you and other Express + users started having it after the firmware upgrade. That theory doesn't explain 1) why the problem isn't universal among all users of the same device; 2) why other Express + users started having the problem within the same time frame even though our devices were still running firmware version 9.1. Your theory can't explain either of these so you just ignore them.

Now multiply that by 10 when dealing with people that have no idea that this forum exists and what you have is one major problem.

By what factor should I multiply the number of people who have upgraded their Roku devices to firmware version 9.2 and have reported that they have experienced no problem whatsoever? By what factor should I multiply the number of people who have reported this problem whose Roku devices were running on firmware released long before version 9.2. All of us already know it's a "big problem", you just haven't adequately established that the problem is what you're asserting it is.

I don't know why you are challenging me on this...

There are massive clues as to my motives in my replies would only you bother to read them. And if you're not going to read my replies, kindly stop pretending that were having an exchange.

...but I get the feeling that you are trying to soften Roku's role in all this.

Let's confine our discussion to facts, and leave feeling aside. Feelings aren't serving you well here.

The fact is that your theory, the one that maintains that everything was just fine until the most recent firmware release is the one which "soften[s] Roku's role in all this." In contrast, my assertion as to the company's responsibility is that this problem is a known issue which Roku has been aware of for years and yet has failed to eliminate in multiple generations of devices across their product line. Which of the two positions is "harder" on Roku?

So swipe away at my posts. It makes no difference to me. I feel for the people who can't watch a movie straight through without having to log back in at least three times. My solution worked for me and I just wanted people to know that there was one solution that worked.

Had you bothered to read my replies, you'd know that I am one of the people for whom you claim to feel so deeply. Had you read my replies you'd also know that for me and others who have contributed to this thread, firmware version 9.1 isn't any sort of "solution" to this problem. It was the behavior of my Roku device running that firmware that brought me here in the first place.

You simply can't see beyond your own individual circumstance: as far as you're concerned, the problem didn't exist until you had it; and you can claim that you found "the solution" once you no longer have it. That I'm here telling you that I have the exact same device and that v9.2 was not the source of the problem, and that v9.1 has not been the solution just doesn't register with you.

0 Kudos
DocA1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

machine-x: My logic may very well be "fallacious", but I know that I never had any problem until 9.2 was installed. You may think it is nothing but a coincidence, but the fact that many people who have an Express + reported the same problem the day they were updated with 9.2 tells me it is anything but a coincidence. The reason why you are tearing my posts apart is also no coincidence. I could say you are a shill for Roku, but I have no evidence of that, so I won't. Let me say this: If I see a dead body on the street, the first thing I DON'T ask myself is why they were killed. I just know they are dead. I think it is up to the police to determine why they were killed. In this instance, I consider Roku the police, yet they are not trying to find the cause of Express + kicking people out every 30 minutes or offering any valid fixes to the problem. They are remaining silent in the matter, depending on people like you to defend them. Expect no more replies from me if you want to rip apart any of my posts. You are exhibiting troll behavior and I will not tolerate that. That is the reason why I only skim your replies. So I will offer you nothing but silence for hereon in. I have offered a solution that worked for me, yet you refuse to admit that 9.2 was the problem. I have to ask myself why. I wish you nothing but peace and happiness. Goodbye.

0 Kudos
joe1959
Streaming Star

Re: Crashing

Jump to solution

Once again, sadly, Prime and Netflix FAILED to resolve with community-driven guidance.  Upon checking YOUTUBE again this morning, it too failed and dumped me back to the home screen after 30-minutes.  I guess last night's YouTube success was a fluke of sorts.  One good thing was that suddenly, out of nowhere, I was offered the option to roll back to 9.1.0.411-28 again - which I did.   Without any fresh testing, I unplugged my device to preserve the rollback status and am keeping my fingers crossed that 1, it will stick, and 2, a final resolution to this nightmare will be upon us soon! 

0 Kudos
joe1959
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Firstly, Doc - don't get caught up in the back and forth thing...  Your posts and information have been most fruitful and effective for me and many others.  I must concur that many of your suspicions are natural, logical, and grounded in reality - not fantasy.  Though other issues may be occurring as well, there is no denying the credibility of your accounts.  Do hang in there with us - you are a valuable part of this community and thread!  Thank you for that!   

steve-o
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask whether or not this could be a hardware issue, as I am on 9.1 and still have this problem. My express was purchased in October of 2017, it's two years old. Anyone on this forum seeing this behavior with newer units? Perhaps older units are defective and failing.

0 Kudos
icezero44
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't know if it is confirmed to just be specific hardware models but i can say that i have 4 rokus of different ages in my home and only one is displaying this behavior. Mine is the Roku Express+ from last year that had the older composite connection. i have an older tv in my house without an HDMI port so this was the only one that would work on that tv. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@icezero44 wrote:

I don't know if it is confirmed to just be specific hardware models but i can say that i have 4 rokus of different ages in my home and only one is displaying this behavior. 

Yeah, I have several Roku players/TVs, and none have ever exhibited this issue. But then, I don't have any version of the Express, and that one seems to be hit the worst. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos