Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DocA1
Binge Watcher

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Machina-x: The problem may have been ongoing since 2011, but I can guarantee you that it has not been as widespread until recently. And in 99.9% of cases, it happened because the units were updated with 9.2.0. My fix seems to help some people, but not everyone, usually because Roku has turned off rolling back updates on some models. I can say with all certainty that the problem has become widespread because of Update Ver. 9.2.0. Nothing you can say will change my mind. Roku's advice of doing a hard reset usually does no good and causes the user to spend hours getting their device back to "normal", yet they still have the 30-minute home screen problem. Roku should admit to the fact that it's a bug in 9.2.0. Until they do, I will never trust them again. That's my take on the issue.

joe1959
Streaming Star

Re: Crashing

Jump to solution

Sadly, NETFLIX failed the 30-minute test.  Returned to the home page with the error code ID# 57-423-267.  Testing Amazon Prime as we speak...  Fingers crossed...  Not so hopefull anymore...

0 Kudos
Stan60
Binge Watcher

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

I concur with your statement & conclusions, DocA1!!  As I previously stated, I did NOT have this issue until I updated to 9.2.0 (Roku Express+) last Saturday Night!  As I also stated, I was lucky enough to revert back to 9.1.0  yesterday & have NOT had the 30 minute issue since!  I've had Rokus for a few years:  Roku 2 (1st)gen, Roku 3 (1st gen), & the Roku Express+ where I first encountered this issue!  I still use The Roku 3 in a bedroom but did NOT do the Update when offered.  Remember, folks, if you unplug your Roku after use, it can NOT update automatically.  Only when you turn it on, & then it gives you the "option" of installing an Operating System Update!  But, if you forget to unplug it after use, you'll automatically find all new updates installed when you use your Roku the following day!

In a few months I'm planning on purchasing a 65" TV & have been quite interested in the Roku TCL TV line-up; however, NOW I'm being a little hesitant in having ANY built-in streamers whether Roku or Fire!

machina-x
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@DocA1 wrote:

Machina-x: The problem may have been ongoing since 2011, but I can guarantee you that it has not been as widespread until recently. And in 99.9% of cases, it happened because the units were updated with 9.2.0.

I'm sorry, but you can make no such guarantee. The first 6 pages of this very thread are devoted to people posting about his problem starting in 2018, and there is a steady trickle of those until present day. Combine that with posts about this same problem to which I've already linked, and complaints about his in other fora such as Reddit (this one from two years ago), and it can not be valid to state that "99.9% of cases happened because the units were updated with 9.2.0." It's just a factually unsupportable statement.

All that can be said with some degree of accuracy is that the latest reports of the problem have been made around the time of the release of firmware version 9.2. But to establish a causal link between that upgrade and the problem requires that one toss away the mountain of evidence which doesn't fit that theory. And for me the most compelling evidence is that my device wasn't even running v9.2 when the problem manifested; moreover it's not running 9.2 now and yet the behavior persists.

I have absolutely no stake in you or anyone trusting Roku. I'm certainly not on Roku's side; my position is that Roku has no excuse for having not fixed this widely-reported problem for the years the company has known about it.

But in order for Roku to resolve the problem, it needs to be correctly identified.

0 Kudos
DocA1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I should also state that I have been a Roku user since 2010, yet this is the first time I have ever had a major problem with any of their devices. I have three other models of Roku in my apartment and, until recently, swore by their reliability. I had to do research on my own because all Roku ever gave me were pre-programmed answers that had absolutely nothing to do with my problem. In all certainty, I will be looking at different companies for my next streaming device, mainly because of the way Roku is handling this mess. It is totally unacceptable that such a "trusted" company would refuse to say that there is a bug in their update, when it is obvious that there is. And if anyone thinks I don't know what I am talking about, then you obviously don't know me. I don't willy-nilly accuse any companies of a cover-up, but it is rather obvious that Roku is fully aware of this problem, especially with all that is written in this group. So why aren't they doing anything about it?

0 Kudos
CommanderZero
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Another data point Firestick users are having the same problem. Perhaps ISP throttling in the mix -- who knows?
0 Kudos
DocA1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I hardly doubt it's an ISP problem, as people are reporting the bug from all over. And why mention the Firestick here? This is a Roku board! Apples and oranges. An old magician's trick is to get the audience to look at his left hand while his right hand performs the "magic". I really doubt Amazon and Roku are suffering from the same problem.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@DocA1 wrote:

... And why mention the Firestick here? This is a Roku board! 

Because some people are saying they are moving to the Fire TV platform. He was simply providing some potentially important information. 

But I too doubt it's an ISP throttling issue. If they throttle the stream, you get either buffering or a reduced resolution. They have no way of telling the player to stop. And I would have a problem with my Shield. But since this issue has not appeared in any of my Roku devices, my personal experience isn't germane to the conversation. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
hlp

Jump to solution

Just found this forum and yours is the most helpful info I've seen. I am having exactly the same problem-- started a week ago and I'm also on 9.1. Only happening on one of my devices. Trying to backtrack through the thread but this seems to be the solution; you are deleting and reloading all channels you watch permanently deleting those you don't? Would factory reset accomplish the same thing? Appreciate your feedback! 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@hlp wrote:

Just found this forum and yours is the most helpful info I've seen. I am having exactly the same problem-- started a week ago and I'm also on 9.1. Only happening on one of my devices. Trying to backtrack through the thread but this seems to be the solution; you are deleting and reloading all channels you watch permanently deleting those you don't? Would factory reset accomplish the same thing? Appreciate your feedback! 

The possible issue with just doing a factory reset is that as soon as you attach it to your account, it will automatically reinstall all existing channels. So if there's some you don't want, you need to delete them first. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos