Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe1959
Streaming Star

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

There seems to be more than one iteration of this issue with unique nuances to each.  I have only been a victim to the most recent, which exhibits a precise 30-minute return to the home screen on wireless express devices - on all channels - with the sole exception of the Roku Channel.  

0 Kudos
CommanderZero
Channel Surfer

Re: Crashing

Jump to solution
Yes I've had Roku for years, but it's no longer a product. I have the same problem after attempting all of the workarounds listed here.

I think they're throttling content.

Anyway I decided to try out the fire stick I've had enough of this.

It's really disgraceful to do this to your installed base.
Michael_Pyron
Binge Watcher

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Just a quick question, How do You role back the Roku to 9.1? Tired of this 30 min Home screen Junk. Thanks..Michael

0 Kudos
CommanderZero
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Press the home button 5 times press the fast forward button three times press the fast back button twice.

A menu appears select update.

The original poster noted that you must remove your Channel/s of interest before doing this.

Also note this didn't do anything for me. Everything stops at 27 mintues now it goes back to the homepage.

Good luck!
0 Kudos
joe1959
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

What do you mean by "throttling?"  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@CommanderZero wrote:
Yes I've had Roku for years, but it's no longer a product. I have the same problem after attempting all of the workarounds listed here.

I think they're throttling content.

What possible motive or benefit would Roku have to throttle content? And if they did, then it would happen on every single device, unless you think they're picking out specific users? I can't think of anything more counter-productive for a company. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
CommanderZero
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
I have no idea what's going on it's been going on for a long time and they don't seem to care about it or admit that it's a problem. So maybe they're throttling content for people who stream a lot. Obviously I have no way of knowing anyway I'm done moving a fire stick.
0 Kudos
steve-o
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same problem here, though I am still on 9.1. This started a week or so ago with both Emby & Plex; at almost exactly 30 minutes, playback ends abruptly. Did watch a film on Criterion channel last week & it was okay, but have not tried recently. Very very frustrating. I was surprised to find this thread and the fact that so many others were experiencing this exact behavior. 

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for continuing to keep us posted about the issue you're encountering.

We really appreciate those of you who have followed up with more details via private message as requested—this helps our team investigate the issue quicker. We're actively looking into this, and hope to have further updates soon.

In the meantime, as one other recommendation, you can try removing unused channels from your device's Home screen to see if this helps resolve the playback issue. If the troubleshooting tips provided throughout this topic thread aren't helping you clear up the issue, please feel free to reach out to me directly via private message and I'd be happy to see what other recommendations we can make. 

Please stay tuned for further updates—I'll be sure to provide another update when available. 

Thanks,

Tanner

joe1959
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks, Tanner, I appreciate your sticking with this to help resolve it once and for all.  I am one of those following your advice and sending you PM updates with error codes etc...  I have deleted ALL the channels I do not use, which took a long time...  lol...  Then, using 9.2, (I can no longer get 9.1 back), I restarted, then deleted all of my most used channels one by one, and reinstalled them.  Yes, a bit of a pain to enter credentials and all, however, thus far, of my three primary channels used, Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Prime - so far YouTube PASSED the 30-minute mark!  Yay!  Currently testing Netflix and then finally, I'll test Amazon Prime.  I will reply back with the results of those tests when completed.  So far, with YouTube passing with flying colors, I am optimistic about Prime and Netflix.   Thanks again!  

0 Kudos