Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amethystrndrp
Channel Surfer

Re: Crashing

Jump to solution
As I don't have HDMI I'll try it in 16:9 (it was on 4:3) and see if there is any change. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Amethystrndrp
Channel Surfer

Re: Crashing

Jump to solution
Nope I just got sent home again.
0 Kudos
Michael_Pyron
Binge Watcher

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Hi Dan, Michael here again. Thanks for repling. Maybe they will send me a PM with a fix. I really don't know how to request it, but maybe we can work it out. You spoke of the newer Rokus", I have a Roku Express+, but I don't use it, cause I have a Data cap. On the older Modle, I can set my bandwith. I think it is crazy to stream@12MB, when I can get by on the older one @ 6MB. After all, the High Rez Vidio means nothing to me since it is, I can't see...lol And, my wife tells me she can't tell a differince anyway..lol. Thanks guys for the posts. PS. Roku, if you find a fix, would You please PM Me. Thanks Much Guys.

0 Kudos
Stan60
Binge Watcher

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Roku Express+ 3910RW

Saturday Night I updated my unit from Software Version 9.1.0 Build 4919 to Software Version 9.2.0 Build 4115 & then started to watch a movie on Amazon Prime.  That's when I too experienced the app closing & returning to the Home Screen.  So, I continued watching the movie re-starting after every 30 minute shut-down.  Then I started to watch a movie on Netflix & it too shut down after 30 minutes.  There's NO doubt that the 9.2.0 update is the cause since I had NO previous issues.  Then last night I started to watch a movie on Amazon Prime & again it shut down after 30 minutes like "clock-work".  After shutting down one more time I decided to try DocA1's "Secret Menu" fix which rolled me BACK to 9.1.0 & from that point on I had NO more issues.  And as atc98092 pointed out just unplug the unit when you're finished & it will NOT automatically update.  I've done this for years with Roku Units to help them cool down as well as control my updates.  It's very rare that I immediately allow an update until I see if there are ANY issues.  That's what I get from NOT following my normal routine.  Until I see there is a "fix" I will continue using Software Version 9.1.0.

machina-x
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I see that several people here are resolved that the latest Roku firmware is the cause of the problem. Evidence suggests otherwise.

I find myself here because my own Roku Express + started manifesting the problem a few weeks ago, and I only updated the firmware as a possible remedy. I've since done the rollback and yet the problem persists.

Further, it seems that no one has taken note of the fact that this thread was started in April of last year! Had the Roku devices of those users just been updated with firmware version 9.2?

And I'll go even further: Roku users have reported this exact same problem since at least 2011. Don't take my word for it:

Roku suddenly returns to home mid show 

Given these facts, I think we can eliminate the latest Roku device firmware as the source of this particular problem. This has been a known issue for at least 8 years.

0 Kudos
CommanderZero
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
I wonder if they're throttling based on usage?
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for letting us know what you're experiencing. If you are running into an issue with a channel exiting, please make sure you have tried the following steps to troubleshoot the channel(s): 

1. Remove the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key and choosing 'Remove channel'.

2. Next, go to Settings>System>System restart and restart your Roku device. 

3. Once your device starts up again, add the channel back once more from 'Streaming channels'. 

4. Try playing content again. 

If the issue occurs again, please generate an issue report tracker ID by pressing the Home button 5 times quickly, followed by the Back button 5 times quickly. Once you have this number, please send me a private message with your Roku's serial number from Settings>System>About, a description of the channel and content you were watching (live TV channel, on-demand streaming video, etc.), and the issue report tracker ID that you created. I'll follow up directly to continue assisting you from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Jah56
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks Tanner, Been there done all that..Nothing has worked so far. 

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jah56 Thanks for confirming.

Please follow the instructions above and send me a private message with your details so I can help take a closer look. 

Cheers,

Tanner

0 Kudos
joe1959
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Glad that worked for you, Stan!  I did the same, however, after giving my serial number to tech support and following an uninvited automatic update back to 9.2, I can no longer retrieve the older 9.1 build no matter what I do.  So, unless it's due to relinquishing my product serial number, rolling back to 9.1 is not a long term fix - at least that's what I'm experiencing.  

0 Kudos