Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CommanderZero
Channel Surfer

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution
Thanks unfortunately this did not work for me.
0 Kudos
joe1959
Streaming Star

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution

Sorry it did not work for you.  I guess I got lucky.  Try opening a support ticket and see if they can help you figure out what's going on.  I did so yesterday via the chat feature.  They didn't solve the problem, but at least they admitted that they were aware of the issue.  It's a sad state of affairs that this problem is affecting so many users in different ways - without any real solutions or official acknowledgment from ROKU.  Good luck!  

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

@joe1959 Thanks for the note. However, that won't be a long term solution, if in fact you are experiencing the issue on the latest version of Roku OS. This is something we'll want to take a closer look at and gather some additional information. Previous versions of Roku OS will not remain available for your device, so we'll want to help investigate further resolution. Feel free to follow up via PM. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
joe1959
Streaming Star

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

I just figured out how to PM and sent you my serial number.  Hopefully, you can be of assistance with a long-term solution.  Thank you!  

0 Kudos
Cajun1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
I have the same 30 minute issue. I do a factory reset which luckily puts me at update 9.1. And it works fine until the next update which is automatic for me. How can I change that setting? I've looked all over the place for it on my unit. Which is an Exp+
DocA1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, there is no way to stop automatic updates, but mine has been working for several days without an update. If it happens again, I know what to do, unless Roku decides not to make it a valid choice, that is. Roku, fix the problem!

DocA1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If, in fact? Really? It has to be a bug in the 9.2 update. After I rolled back to the previous update, I no longer had the problem! If, in fact? C'mon now!

joe1959
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

There appears to have been a way to stop automatic updates in the past, however, from what I've read in associated YouTube threads on the topic, the option to opt-out of automatic updates was disabled circa 2016-2017.  Trusting such hearsay, I have not bothered to try the workaround myself so I can't say with certainty it no longer works.  It does appear, however, that it was possible to do so at some point in the past.

0 Kudos
joe1959
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It's strange because although the rollback fix worked for us and others, it does appear that it does not work for everyone, which is odd.  If they are not following the rollback protocol properly - that would explain their failure to succeed.  If they follow it properly and it still doesn't fix their problem, well, then perhaps the problem is far more complex than the recent 9.2 update.    

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

There's only one way to stop an unattended update, and that's to power your Roku off when not in use. As long as it's plugged into power, it's still running and will check daily for an OS or channel update, and will update without your action. If it's unplugged, you'll stay on the OS version you have now, and when the update prompt appears on the screen you can decline it. 

That's your only option. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.