Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elijah_Baley
Visitor

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution
"Jah56" wrote:
I have 3 roku1's as of Aug 3rd they
all like clockwork in 20 to 30 minutes back up to the main page. On Netflix,  Hulu, Amazon, basically everything in the channel store I use. I have done factory  resets on all of them,  tried all the other stuff first. .  The cable company came out checked all my stuff,  router, checked wires, speed etc.  I thought maybe it was because my rokus are older,  but obviously if it's doing it on the Express theres more to the problem. After the cable company came out I figured it was fixed. Nope not at all. Roku needs to get this figured out

If this is happening during active streaming then it is a bug somewhere BUT if it is happening when the Roku is idle then it is expected and designed behavior.
FWIW: I pretty much watch TV and movies on my Rokus whenever I am awake. I have, with age, become somewhat mobility challenged and  there is little else to fill the time. My Rokus do return to home screen if I am at any menu in any app but it does not seem to happen if there is a stream active, even if it is paused. The longest I leave my Rokus paused is about 45 minutes to an hour so I cannot attest to the behavior with longer pauses.
I have Roku Ultras so the behavior "might" be different for Roku 1s.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Jah56
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Yes its while watching a show. It just all of a sudden goes back to the main page within almost exactly 30 minutes.
Blabla
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
I've had the same issue for about 2 months on all channels. I tried all the fixes suggested to no avail. Has this been addressed by Roku? Or are we just supposed to suck it up?
tlpruitt
Visitor

Jump to solution
I am experiencing this same problem with several apps through a Roku Express+.  After watching something for about 20 minutes it stops and returns to the Roku home screen.  
I have tried all the suggested remedies but the only thing that worked (temporarily) was doing a factory reset of the Roku device and starting fresh once all my apps were reinstalled.  That worked for a few days but then Roku froze up and appeared to crash and then the problem returned.

Very frustrating.  

Hey Roku, What's the solution?
Blabla
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
I was finally able to fix it by doing a Factory reset through Advanced Options.
0 Kudos
Bumblefist
Visitor

Jump to solution
This is the third time I have reported this exact problem and I still have not heard anything from anyone at Roku.  Just as others have said, after 30 minutes of watching a video on any app, it exits to home screen.  I've tried everything suggested on here.  
On Amazon Prime, if I stop the video and return to the menu, then resume play, I can get through an hour long episode without it kicking me out to home screen.  It seems to be that the Roku thinks that it is inactive if a video is just playing for 30 minutes and nothing else is done during that time by the user.  The Roku needs to be taught that it's ok to continue playing for more than 30 minutes.  That playing a video is not equal to inactive use.
I'm seriously looking into switching to a different brand of device if this problem isn't fixed soon.  It really seems like Roku doesn't care even though many people have reported the same problem.
MindTrap
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
"Jah56" wrote:
I have 3 roku1's as of Aug 3rd 2019 they
all like clockwork in 20 to 30 minutes back up to the main page. Always worked fine till then. On Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, basically everything in the channel store I use, now does this. I have done factory resets on all of them, tried all the other stuff first, set my router back to original state. The cable company came out checked all my stuff, router, checked wires, speed etc. I thought maybe it was because my rokus are older, but obviously if it's doing it on the Express theres more to the problem. After the cable company came out I figured it was fixed. Nope not at all nothing works. Roku needs to get this figured out

Out of curiosity.... Does it happen when you watch something on the Roku Channel?
0 Kudos
Laddie

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem. It stops while watching Acorn, PBS, RFDTV and YouTube but doesn’t with Netflix. I’ve contacted Roku my subscription channels and my internet provider. I even upgraded my bandwidth. Nothing has worked.

Clayfirer

Jump to solution
Just throwing my problem in with the rest. Roku stick, just today started kicking me from Prime to the Roku home screen. Been using the Roku for over a year.
0 Kudos
Anonymous_User
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Same issue with TCL tv with Roku built in. THIS IS SO ANNOYING!!!! Fix it Roku!!

PS - the adverts I have to watch over and over again - I am starting to hate everything they advertise.