Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JWBrandt1
Level 7

Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution
I recently bought a Roku Express. I have been streaming Hulu Live, and a couple times a day it just randomly closes out and puts me back at the Roku home screen with no warning? How do I fix this?

I’m out of ideas to fix this.... please.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Thanks again for your patience everyone.

Good news—we believe this issue should now be resolved. Please go ahead and try restarting your devices, then playing content again. You can restart your device from Settings>System>System restart, or by disconnecting the power for a minute or two. This should clear things up and get you back on track. 

Please keep us posted if you're still seeing this issue after you've tried simply restarting your device, and/or troubleshooting the channel installation (remove the channel, restart your device, reinstall the channel).

Thanks! 

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

196 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution
Is that the only app that exhibits this behavior? Does it do it on other apps, say apps that you can authorize against Hulu with Live TV? Or Amazon? Or Netflix? Or anything?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
scottv60
Level 7

Jump to solution
I'm having the same issue, and it's not just one app. It kicks you out of any app after a while.
0 Kudos
Tacoma
Level 7

Jump to solution
This has also been happening to me with the Disney now channel. Makes me really upset because that is my son's favorite channel and he only has certain shows he likes to watch. Not sure what to do!
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Jump to solution
"Tacoma" wrote:
This has also been happening to me with the Disney now channel. Makes me really upset because that is my son's favorite channel and he only has certain shows he likes to watch. Not sure what to do!

While you're watching Disney Now on your Roku Express, the stream will suddenly stop and the Roku will return to the Home screen? Nobody touching the remote or anything? Is that a correct restatement of your issue?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Tacoma
Level 7

Jump to solution
"Basil" wrote:
"Tacoma" wrote:

While you're watching Disney Now on your Roku Express, the stream will suddenly stop and the Roku will return to the Home screen? Nobody touching the remote or anything? Is that a correct restatement of your issue?

That is correct. I will click on the disney now app it will go into it but then as soon as I click on shows it will kick me back to the home screen. I am able to access the app on my tablet and my phone so I do not think it is a problem with the app Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Jump to solution
"Tacoma" wrote:
...I will click on the disney now app it will go into it but then as soon as I click on shows it will kick me back to the home screen.  I am able to access the app on my tablet and my phone so I do not think it is a problem with the app Smiley Sad

Well, the app on the phone and tablet are either iOS or Android (most likely), and that's different OS than what Roku uses. So, it could be the app. Or it could be data about the app on the device. Let's pursue that for now.

Do these three steps in this order:

1. Remove the app

2. Reboot the Roku

3. Add the app

That would clear out most corrupt data and allow the app to load clean. You'll have to reauthenticate, of course. I suggest already being logged in to your service provider (cable/satellite/streaming) before you attempt to authenticate through the Disney Website. My experience is that's a cleaner process with fewer chances of issues. 

Let us know if that fixes it.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Tacoma
Level 7

Jump to solution
"Basil" wrote:
"Tacoma" wrote:
...I will click on the disney now app it will go into it but then as soon as I click on shows it will kick me back to the home screen.  I am able to access the app on my tablet and my phone so I do not think it is a problem with the app Smiley Sad

Well, the app on the phone and tablet are either iOS or Android (most likely), and that's different OS than what Roku uses. So, it could be the app. Or it could be data about the app on the device. Let's pursue that for now.

Do these three steps in this order:

1. Remove the app

2. Reboot the Roku

3. Add the app

That would clear out most corrupt data and allow the app to load clean. You'll have to reauthenticate, of course. I suggest already being logged in to your service provider (cable/satellite/streaming) before you attempt to authenticate through the Disney Website. My experience is that's a cleaner process with fewer chances of issues. 

Let us know if that fixes it.

That worked!! Thanks so much. You are a lifesaver!!
0 Kudos
Jaybird75
Level 8

Jump to solution
I’m having the exact same problem with the Disney Now app as Tacoma. But I’m having the problem with two different streaming sticks. Basil, I tried your fix for each, but it didn’t work for either. Do you have any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Jump to solution
"Jaybird75" wrote:
I’m having the exact same problem with the Disney Now app as Tacoma.  But I’m having the problem with two different streaming sticks.  Basil, I tried your fix for each, but it didn’t work for either.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Just to be clear, you removed the app from a Stick, rebooted that Stick, then added it back? In that order? Not reboot, remove, add? Not remove, add, reboot? 

Please don't take my questioning the wrong way. This Forum is flooded with people being told to do things in one particular order, but they'll do them in another order thinking it doesn't matter. It does matter. That behavior appears to be something common among humans, so I must verify. Please understand we're just trying to get things fixed.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos