Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jestep
Level 7

Express+ HDMI video, output audio over RCA

I previously did this with my roku 2 which has slowed to the point where it is unusable. Is it possible to output video over the HDMI connection and audio over the RCA? There's a reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... output_on/) that states this is possible, but I can't figure out how to do it in the Roku interface. Any info on where I can set this would be appreciated. I tried Roku support but apparently they don't offer any support, there's not a single menu option that gives my the ability to contact them.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Express+ HDMI video, output audio over RCA

I don't think there's a setting for that. If I recall -- I never did it, but knew others did -- the procedure would be to simply connect it. Just make sure you don't connect the yellow video to either the Roku or the TV
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
jestep
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
I don't think there's a setting for that. If I recall -- I never did it, but knew others did -- the procedure would be to simply connect it. Just make sure you don't connect the yellow video to either the Roku or the TV

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I swear there was a menu setting in the Roku 2, I'll see if I can get mine working enough to see if I can find it. Possible I'm not remembering correctly.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"jestep" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I swear there was a menu setting in the Roku 2, I'll see if I can get mine working enough to see if I can find it. Possible I'm not remembering correctly.

I would not dispute what you're saying. As I mentioned, I never had need for such functionality, and never looked for it. I just don't recall ever seeing it.

I never had the model 2720 Roku 2, which was essentially a Roku 1 (2710) but with the enhanced remote. That's the model to which you must be referring. The model 4210 Roku 2 didn't have composite output; that device is essentially a Roku 3, but with an IR remote in the box.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
jestep
Level 7

Ok, looks like it auto-detects. Have everything set on auto, and the audio works fine using the RCA (non-video) connectors. Appreciate the help.
0 Kudos