Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doug3
Level 7

Express+ Blank Screen with HDMI input, No Resolution Selection, No Reset Button

I have an old Phillips HDTV, maybe 20 years old now. But it does have a single HDMI port. It is probably HDMI Ver 1.0 or so, so I was not going to be surprised if it wouldn't fly, and is one reason I got a "+" with the A/V option. Well, I was pleased when I initially plugged it in with the HDMI and saw the initial setup prompts. But after about four screens and selections, the screen went blank, as so many others describe here. I resorted to the A/V plugs, but am disappointed that I should have working HDMI, which would be better. I can't believe the lack of response to so many others on this issue. Does Roku ever try to fix problems reported here? Or is this just a board for venting? I've seen others refer to selecting resolutions. 720 vs 1080. There is no place for me to do this anywhere in the menus. I've seen others talk about a push button reset. Mine has none. There's a pinhole where the reset button should be, but it's blanked off inside. Can push as hard and long as you want with a pen tip. Nothing moves or happens. So many questions. Such low quality. What kind of company is this anyway? Chinese?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
doug3
Level 7

Re: Express+ Blank Screen with HDMI input, No Resolution Selection, No Reset Button

Seemed to have some good gremlins visit overnight, and I suddenly saw the screen using hdmi. Apparently a handshaking thing where I have to turn on the TV AFTER powering or resetting the Express+. Hope this helps someone. Wish that were the end of it, but while I can scroll through menus as far as I like, when it comes to content, I get the dreaded error 20, HDCP error. Tried the suggested sequence (except for unplugging the hdmi at the TV end, but everything else) and no luck. The TV is very old and probably has no HDCP provision at all, so there I am. Read about one trick of just sticking an hdmi splitter between the two. Will try and let you know.

0 Kudos