Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stuart91
Channel Surfer

Episode cuts off and returns me to home screen

Jump to solution

On my mum's Roku Express, she is having a reccuring issue where she is watching something and it will suddenly cut out and return her to the Home Screen. I have done a system restart and have unplugged it and plugged it back in, but nothing is working. It's got to the point where TV has become unwatchable because it is constantly just cutting out and returning to the Home Screen. I have model number, serial number etc. So any help from somebody at Roku would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Episode cuts off and returns me to home screen

Jump to solution

Hey @stuart91

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us how are you powering your mom's Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I don’t work for Roku, but have you tried these steps in the correct order? It is always 1, 2, 3.  Not 2, 1, 3,  1, 3 or 1, 3, 2; those orders aren’t the same!

1. Remove the app.  
2. Settings > System > Power (If not applicable, skip to the next step!) > System Restart.  
3. Once the device is restarted, reinstall the app.

If none of these steps work, maybe you should check your internet router.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
stuart91
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi, yeah I have already done the whole uninstalling the app, doing a system restart etc. and it didn't work. Router is fine, did a connection test to double check and all other devices connected to Wi-Fi are working just fine, so the router isn't the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @stuart91

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us how are you powering your mom's Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
stuart91
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuKariza-D,

Thank you for your reply.

I bought this product off Amazon and all that came in the box was the Roku box itself, the remote, a HDMI cable and the USB cable, there was no power outlet/plug included.

So, the Roku box is simply connected to the TV via the USB.

Is it possible to buy a power outlet/plug to connect the USB to and then be able to plug this into a wall socket?

Thank you,

Stuart

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@stuart91

Thanks for the reply.

Yup! You can try purchasing a power adapter or if you have an old one, as long as it's working; you can use that as well. Keep us posted if that will resolve the crashing to home screen issue.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@stuart91 

You can use a USB cell phone charger adapter (5volt, 1amp) to power your Roku device at the wall oulet.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@stuart91-

Roku devices sold in the US include a USB power adapter for those units that are powered via a USB cable.  (Some have their own "wall wart" power supply  that plugs into the Roku without a USB cable.)  

Since  your initial post mentioned "my mum", I'm guessing you are in the UK.

Several people have reported here that that Rokus using USB cables that are sold in the UK do not include the USB adapter.  I have no idea why, maybe it's a tax thing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
stuart91
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuKariza-D 

Connecting the USB to an adapter seems to have worked, my mum just tested it out so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is a permanent solution.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Stuart

stuart91
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi @makaiguy 

I am indeed from the UK. I did get the USB cable but no adapter from the one I bought from Amazon. As you said, no idea why that's the case but I appreciate your response 👍

0 Kudos