Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockydoc
Level 7

Earbuds and speakers on at the same time

I have a new Roku Ultra with the earbuds that plug into the remote.  I bought this for that earbud feature.  I am hearing impaired and my wife is not. I did not realize that when the earbuds are plugged in the sound to the TV speakers is cancelled, e.g. "private listening". I would like for the speakers and the earbuds to both work at the same time.  Is this possible?  How can it be done?

Thanks,
Rockydoc
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Re: Earbuds and speakers on at the same time

This code set worked in the past but Roku said that it was unsupported and could be removed or changed at any time. I do not know if it still works.

Use the "Volume" control buttons.
The headphone must be inserted then press:
Up Up Dn Dn Up Up Up Dn Dn Dn

Personally I think it would work better and more reliably to get a different kind of wireless headphones and use them in place of Roku's implementation.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
flamebird
Level 7

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
This code set worked in the past but Roku said that it was unsupported and could be removed or changed at any time. I do not know if it still works.

Use the "Volume" control buttons.
The headphone must be inserted then press:
Up Up Dn Dn Up Up Up Dn Dn Dn

Personally I think it would work better and more reliably to get a different kind of wireless headphones and use them in place of Roku's implementation.

It still works on my Roku 3; no idea on the new models.
0 Kudos
rockydoc
Level 7

I tried the up up dn dn up up up dn dn dn as suggested.  It didn't work.

Does anyone have other suggestions?
0 Kudos
rockydoc
Level 7

Regarding other kind of headphones, I have a set that works, but headphones are more uncomfortable than earbuds.  I was hoping for something better.
Regarding "privacy listening",  If the speakers and earphones work at the same time and you want privacy, you could just turn the volume down on the speakers

Rockydoc
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Another reason to use something other than the Roku remote and earbuds is battery life. Using the remote as your audio source will drain the batteries rapidly. Don't forget to unplug the earbuds when not listening, because the audio amplifier is powered up whenever the buds are plugged in, even if nothing is playing. Your batteries will be dead in just a few days if you forget.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"rockydoc" wrote:
Regarding other kind of headphones, I have a set that works, but headphones are more uncomfortable than earbuds.  I was hoping for something better.

There are a plethora of wireless solutions that are earbuds or that allow any kind of headphone to be plugged into the receiver. Just search on Amazon and you will see more than you can go through in a reasonable amount of time.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
rockydoc
Level 7

Elijah_Bailey wrote:
"There are a plethora of wireless solutions that are earbuds or that allow any kind of headphone to be plugged into the receiver. Just search on Amazon and you will see more than you can go through in a reasonable amount of time."

I have found nothing that would allow me to use my own excellent ear buds.  There are plenty of the "stethoscope" style, but those are annoying as well.

Elijah if you have found a receiver that I could plug my earbuds into at chairside, would you please tell me the name of or a link to it.
Thanks,
Rockydoc
0 Kudos
MikeFromMesa
Level 7

"rockydoc" wrote:
I have found nothing that would allow me to use my own excellent ear buds.  There are plenty of the "stethoscope" style, but those are annoying as well.

You can always do what I did. Get a bluetooth transmitter for your TV, connect it through either the audio optical or audio out connections, connect your bluetooth earbuds to it and listen. If your earbuds are not bluetooth you can also get a bluetooth receiver and connect your earbuds to that.

On my TV I can then listen with the earbuds/earphones with or without the TV volume. Amazon has a lot of these devices and I can point you to them if you wish. Otherwise you can just go to Amazon and search for bluetooth transmitter and/or bluetooth receiver. Some units have both functions built into them.

If you do this, get a good transmitter and/or receiver or you may get some noticeable sync lag.
0 Kudos
rgulati
Level 7

Hi, I did not see any response on Roku Ultra. This trick works fine on my Roku 3 but it did not work on Roku Ultra.

Did anyone try?

Thanks,

(PS. Let me know if there is another alternative)
0 Kudos