Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joeboo
Level 9

ESPN resolution

Anyone notice resolution quality issues with ESPN every time they cut to a different graph on the screen or switch cameras?

It becomes fuzzy for a couple of seconds even on commercials. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ESPN resolution

I haven't noticed this issue when I use the ESPN app, but it sounds like a bandwidth constraint issue (server or client).

Since you can only control the client end of the connection somewhat, make sure the Roku has sufficient stable bandwidth (Settings/Network/About).

Try switching to the other wireless band (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) or wired if your model supports it. Restart your Roku if need be as well.

Also make sure you have the latest version of the ESPN app (3.2.2020092400) and RokuOS (9.4.0-4188).

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Joeboo
Level 9

I’m not using the ESPN app. I use Hulu Live. It’s only really fuzzy for a second or 2 on ESPN and not other channels. 

0 Kudos
Joeboo
Level 9

Been doing research on it and the bitrate on espn is poor just in case anyone knows how to fix it. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wynsmth26
Level 9

Yes, happening to me too. It has nothing to do with my internet or bandwidth. Every other channel & app (including the ESPN app) work fine. It's only ESPN on Hulu. Anyone from Roku have any comment on this? It's really annoying. Also, these constant issues with NBA broadcasts is getting old. TNT had big issues only on Hulu last season!

0 Kudos
Joeboo
Level 9

I think it’s not just Hulu because I’ve seen people with YouTube complain about it too

0 Kudos
wynsmth26
Level 9

Are they also using Roku? It's not an ESPN feed issue as their app on Roku is fine. No issues at all.

0 Kudos
Joeboo
Level 9

I’m not sure. I’ve just seen a bunch of comments on message boards about it. 

0 Kudos
Joeboo
Level 9

But it’s not roku wither because I get the espn glitches on my phone too 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Its most likely the ESPN feed itself - even with linear MVPDs (with re-compression) the quality is normally poor - with YT TV and watching MNF this season, the quality was abysmal at times, with bitrates often dropping down to 1-4Mbps (compared to 20-60Mbps for most content).

In contrast, today's Wildcard game - co-broadcast on ABC - was very clear with none of the "normal" visual degradation seen on ESPN/ESPN streams - at least OTA on ABC (I didnt watch it via YT TV or the ESPN app, because of the quality issues with ESPN/ESPN streams).

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos