Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwilli40
Reel Rookie

ESPN Playback - Connection Errors

Within the last week, my ESPN app has randomly stopped working. When I try to play a live stream, I get the following error:

"Connection Error - We are unable to connect you to the service. Please verify that you are connected to the internet and try again". 

Despite what this message seems to imply, my internet (and subsequent tv's connection to said internet) are both working like normal. I'm using an Orbi AX6000 mesh router setup with gigabit internet through Spectrum, which has been working perfectly with my TVs up until this issue started happening. All other applications on the tv work like normal and I can stream from these other apps with no issues whatsoever. I have tried the following troubleshooting steps:

1) Tried both WiFi and ethernet connections. Minimum connection speed was ~500 mbps download. No change in performance.

2) Tried the ESPN app on my phone and the ESPN website on my laptop, both of which work fine.

3) Ensured there are no current reported issues with my ISP in regards to streaming ESPN or other streaming services.

4) Verified the firmware status on my router, TV, and application. Interestingly, none of them have any record of a firmware update in the time span in which the issue started occurring.

I reached out to ESPN's tech support but have not gotten a response, so I thought I would try here to see if anyone has dealt with the same issue. 

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ESPN Playback - Connection Errors

@cwilli40 

Which Roku device do you have? Model number and Roku software version are always helpful. Settings > System > About.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
cwilli40
Reel Rookie

This is happening on both of my Roku devices, and the information is below.

Device 1

Model: 43S421

Software Version: 10.0.0

Device 2

Model: 65S421

Software Version: 10.0.0

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@cwilli40 

Those look like Roku TV models. Those look sort of like TCL model numbers, but I'm not sure.

I'm not as knowledgeable about Roku TV devices, so I'll step back for others to help.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
joho
Reel Rookie

Did you ever get a solution to this?  I'm having the exact same issue on both my Roku devices.

J

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@joho

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
joho
Reel Rookie

Sure thing.  Whenever I launch the ESPN app, I get the same message as above:

"Connection Error - We are unable to connect you to the service. Please verify that you are connected to the internet and try again".

Other apps work fine, my internet connection is fine, and I can connect to ESPN from my laptop, iPad, and phone.  The only thing that doesn't work is the ESPN app on my Roku Premier.  I tried switching to an older Roku I have (not sure which model and I'm not home right now), and got the same result.  I also tried going through a vpn in case my IP was blocked, but same result.  I've also tried deleting and re-installing the app numerous times, to no avail.

It would be awesome to find a solution, as I'm out of ideas.  Let me know if any other info is needed.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@joho

Thanks for the follow up.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to ESPN directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the ESPN channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have the same issue happening to me now with ESPN+.   Was anyone able to get their situation resolved?   

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Tonythedrummer,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand you are having difficulties accessing the ESPN+ channel and we will work with you to resolve this issue.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>Power>System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos