Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Double split screen on Roku streaming stick plus

I recently purchased the streaming stick plus. It works fine, but sometimes when I turn it on it has a double split home screen in faded colors. If I restart it, it returns to normal. I did a live chat with Roku and they had me unplug and plug and all that good stuff. We plugged the stick into a different HDMI port. It’s still doing the same thing. I contacted them again and they said it’s my TV settings and I need to contact the manufacturer. I have a Sony Vizio that is just over a year old. If it’s my TV settings, wouldn’t I have the double screen all the time?  Any advice?  Thank you. 
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Double split screen on Roku streaming stick plus

Were you able to get this resolved? I have an older Sony Bravia KDL-55V5100 and though I don't have any split-screen issue, the Roku screen is showing up extremely faded to the point I can barely see it. I've tried all HDMI ports, but that doesn't resolve it. The TV works fine with our Bose AV System, i.e., full color, so I can't understand why the picture is unusable with my brand-new Roku Streaming Stick+

Highlighted
Level 7

I have this problem with a Roku Ultimate and a Sony TV, and figured out how to recreate and avoid the problem. It happens to me when I have been watching Netflix, and simply press the ‘home’ button on the Roku remote. Rather than resetting the Roku, I go back into Netflix and the screen is fine again. Then all I have to do is exit Netflix by pressing the left arrow button repeatedly next to the ‘home’ button on the Roku remote. Keep pressing repeatedly until the left menu opens up, and an option in the bottom left corner will say ‘exit Netflix’. If I exit that way, I’ll be back on the Roku Home screen with a beautiful single screen. It’s a little more work than just pressing ‘home’, but I’ll take it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This seems to be related to viewing 4k hdr enabled movies. Sometimes at the end of playback something doesn't get reset properly. Since the TV displays fine I think the problem is on the Roku side or the app on the Roku. I have this problem with Vudu regularly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same here I also have a Sony TV it’s Sony Bravia Android TV. Do you have a vizio? Or a Sony? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Oh wow so is this a Roku On Sony issue?

Highlighted
Level 7

So I was able to get this fixed by this service: https://tvrepairny.com/ They're NYC-based, so obviously would not work for those outside New York Metro area. Not cheap as it cost about $250, but for a 55" TV this is better than having to drop $1,000+ for something comparable (Sony). The fee included initial in-person diagnostics, then takeaway to their workshop (in Brooklyn, I think), then delivery and re-hanging on the wall (with my husband's help), all within 24 hours. I believe it was something like a firmware update. Odd thing is that the Roku stick worked for only a couple days, then nothing. I was so fed up that I switched back to my Amazon Fire stick (which previously didn't work either and I was stupid enough not to ensure that TV Repair tested both). Luckily, the Fire stick now works beautifully regardless of not having been tested, and I'll have to get around to calling TV Repair to let them know the Roku no longer works since the fee I paid included a warranty of something like 90 days. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same problem.  Roku Soundbar on a Sony Android TV.  Is there a real fix for this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Not good.  I reported this to the support team at Roku.  They suggested I try a different HDMI port and different HDMI cable.  Both had already been tried.  Then they suggested a factory reset.  

I did the reset but then the device would not re-register with the code.  I was directed to an 844-615-7111.  I reached a support person who was able to register the Roku device.  He then told me Roku's policies had changed and I would have to pay a one-time subscription fee.  

I told him I have 6 Roku devices and this is not the standard agreement.  He told me I should return the Roku.  

So now the Roku is working, still has the split screen problem.  Not sure if I should return it.  

Anyone else have this experience?

0 Kudos
Level 20

First of all, you did not go to https://roku.com/link.  If you paid any money you got scammed.  Cancel that credit card and dispute the charge with your CC company.

0 Kudos