Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GWLaguna
Level 7

Dolby Vision on Netflix looses audio

Back to the Dolby Vision issues on my Ultra 4800. Watching a series on Netflix that is now offered in both Dolby Vision and Dolby Audio works fine on the first episode of a series. However, when we allow the next episode to continue, audio drops out consistently for periods up to five seconds. This is not related to any specific title, it is consistently happening with every Dolby Vision program. Can anyone else replicate this issue? I can’t believe it’s just me adding to my list of the other DV issues. Please let me if you’re able to confirm this. Thank you.  

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Dolby Vision on Netflix looses audio

I haven't experienced that issue nor can I replicate it, but I also dont have Autoplay enabled (all forms of it are disabled).   You might try disabling NF Autoplay and checking if the issue persists.

I occasionally lose audio completely, though that happens in all apps using DD+ (NF and Hulu are the biggest offenders, and not just with the 4800) - usually a 10 sec. RW/episode restart/app reload fixes it, though once or twice a device restart was required.

Whenever I experience loss of 4K/DV (happens occasionally, you can tell by the tagging) or audio in NF on the 4800, reloading the NF app fixes it (whereas 10 sec RW/episode reload doesnt always work for audio loss):   Menu/Get Help/Reload NetFlix

Audio dropouts (and other audio issues) can also be caused by the default "Auto detect" (transcoding-enabled) audio mode - make sure you configured passthrough audio:  Settings/Audio/HDMI=Auto passthrough

Checking your posting history, you connect through an AVR/AV rack/baluns/etc on a different floor - though I know you are very reluctant to do so, you might try temporarily directly connecting to your TV and seeing if the issue persists.

0 Kudos
GWLaguna
Level 7

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try to dig into the issue deeper and try your suggestions. It’s odd that it only seems to happen on Netflix on the Roku, I can watch the exact same shows and episodes on and AppleTV with no issues whatsoever so I have to believe it has to be something to do with settings or handshake with the Roku itself. Like others I’ve been experiencing the HDCP error when viewing Dolby Vision content, and it can happen 5 minutes in, 30 minutes in and sometimes only once, sometimes multiple times per show. There are obviously handshake issues occurring with the 4800x boxes so it leads me to believe the audio dropouts may be another symptom. The next step after this will be to get another 4800 and swap it with this one, then connect this box to our bedroom tv. I can bypass the AVR in the bedroom much more easily than the main Livingroom so I can test the box both in the system and stand-alone. I’ll let you know what I’m able to find out. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

A clue into what is happening/the cause may be related to the two apps/services you mentioned:

NetFlix uses DD+ for all 5.1/Atmos

Apple TV uses DD for 5.1 (and DD+ for Atmos)

This may be another consequence of HDMI handshaking/EDID problems, so connecting it another way/to another device(s) would  help narrow it down.

0 Kudos