Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolby Vision Not Working Roku Ultra!

Why is the Roku Ultra not showing titles that are in dolby vision on the HBO max Roku app compatible in dolby vision on my LG CX Oled which is more than capable of displaying in dolby vision?! Both Netflix & HBO Max TV apps show compatible titles in Dolby Atmos.  Any current real info and news on this issue?  Are they aware and working on this?! Roku Ultra (4800 series) 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Dolby Vision Not Working Roku Ultra!

I just tried HBO Max on my LG Nano85 using my 4800, and it appears that HBO has borked up their channel, again. I started The Batman and the TV only indicated HDR, not Dolby Vision. I tried a different title, and still only HDR. Both titles gave me Atmos audio. 

I then tried Disney+, and it streamed Dolby Vision without an issue. I also tried Vudu, and it too provided DV without a problem. Yep, HBO messed up their app... again.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@atc98092 @AntiqueLegend  Warner media bought Discovery. They are in the works of combining HBO Max and Discovery+. But the HBO Max channel/app has been a mess across all platforms since it was released. Hopefully a new version will be released which will have Discovery also 

0 Kudos
drnotime
Binge Watcher

Same issue here.  I watched The Batman and only in HDR10 with Atmos.  I did an Airplay via my phone to my Roku and it plays Vision and Atmos.  HBOMax app not streaming Dolby Vision to Roku.  Hope they fix it soon!!

0 Kudos
drnotime
Binge Watcher

Of course when you contact HBOMax they play the blame game.  They said my Roku wasn't updated or my internet connection want good.  Its never the provider that has issues its always the receiver 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@drnotime wrote:

Of course when you contact HBOMax they play the blame game.  They said my Roku wasn't updated or my internet connection want good.  Its never the provider that has issues its always the receiver 

Yeah, they're full of it. It's their channel, not the Roku. If the other channels didn't have DV working, then you could probably blame the Roku OS. But when all the rest work, it's the channel.

Dan

Ksillman05
Streaming Star

Dolby vision works when it wants to on my ultra. Sometimes when i turn it on i get a vision symbol and sometimes i dont. Its a total pain because my tcl tv changes picture modes to follow it. And dv looks much better.  It doesn't matter what apps im using either.  The dv symbol will appear just after the ultra boots and b4 launching any apps. But sometimes no dv symbol unless i reboot the ultra in the power settings menu. Theres no ryme or reason either.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Ksillman05 wrote:

The dv symbol will appear just after the ultra boots and b4 launching any apps. 

The Roku should never be indicating DV when no app/channel is in use. There is a setting that enables HDR/DV at all times, but that should really be turned off. It's under Settings/System/Advanced System settings/HDR always on. I know some people prefer the look, but it's not accurate and really should be disabled. Perhaps that is messing with your DV display.

Dan

0 Kudos