Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Dolby Digital playback? (not DD+)

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have recently come across the issue that my Roku Ultra cannot transmit Dolby Digital... it defaults to Dolby Digital Plus. My digital audio extractor and amp only support DD, not DD+ -- and I am not spending the money to upgrade for DD+ support across my whole system. From what I can tell, there is only one option to set for digital audio and that is to "auto" it to DD+. I cannot support DD+, so is there a way that I can force it into just DD or am I out of luck. Why are these things made to intentionally not be reverse compatible? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Roku Ultra (4670 series)

Best,

Jon

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Dolby Digital playback? (not DD+)

Jump to solution

You cannot force DD+ to DD. That requires an audio encoder, and only one Roku player ever had that. That was the Ultra 4640. Your only option is to select 2 channel stereo, or replace your AVR with one that supports DD+. 

DD+ is not backwards compatible with DD. That was a Dolby decision, not Roku. Adding an encoder adds cost, and Roku was working to reduce the price of their players. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

You cannot force DD+ to DD. That requires an audio encoder, and only one Roku player ever had that. That was the Ultra 4640. Your only option is to select 2 channel stereo, or replace your AVR with one that supports DD+. 

DD+ is not backwards compatible with DD. That was a Dolby decision, not Roku. Adding an encoder adds cost, and Roku was working to reduce the price of their players. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

It certainly is frustrating that the superior streaming platform of Roku doesn't support DD... Even a Firestick will support DD alongside DD+. The problem is that I have a 1080p Firestick (alongside my Roku Ultra) which leaves Hulu and Disney+ out for 5.1 audio, but it supports 5.1 for Netflix and Prime. The 4K variant, however, does support 5.1 audio for all those apps. Anyways, I was intending to use my Roku Ultra for 5.1 audio which is supported on all the apps that I use, but now I'm forced to buy a Firestick 4K since it is the only thing that fits my need now. Phat RIP to Roku. I sure hope a Firestick 4K will be able to solve my issues without upgrading to a different AVR.

I appreciate the help and quick response!

- Jon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Jon_T wrote:

It certainly is frustrating that the superior streaming platform of Roku doesn't support DD... Even a Firestick will support DD alongside DD+. The problem is that I have a 1080p Firestick (alongside my Roku Ultra) which leaves Hulu and Disney+ out for 5.1 audio, but it supports 5.1 for Netflix and Prime. The 4K variant, however, does support 5.1 audio for all those apps. Anyways, I was intending to use my Roku Ultra for 5.1 audio which is supported on all the apps that I use, but now I'm forced to buy a Firestick 4K since it is the only thing that fits my need now. Phat RIP to Roku. I sure hope a Firestick 4K will be able to solve my issues without upgrading to a different AVR.

Roku players support DD. They just can't convert DD+ to DD. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the Fire TV does it either. As I mentioned, it costs money, mostly for the license from Dolby. And both Roku and Amazon are working to keep their prices as low as possible. I honestly can't say if even my Nvidia Shield (which starts at $150 and goes up) can do it. It's just that most people who desire surround sound have AVRs that support DD+. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a Marantz amp.  It supports DD, DD+, DTS.  I have a $3K roku TV, a Roku ultra, and a 4K stick.  It will not do DD, DD+ on either.  As a matter of fact, going to Lost in Space on Netflix shows 4K HDR on the Roku title menu.   On the 4K fire stick, it shows 4k HDR DolbyD , so apparently Netflix knows Dolby wont work on a Roku too.  Im just going to use the Fire stick and not mess with Roku any longer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Davenlr wrote:

I have a Marantz amp.  It supports DD, DD+, DTS.  I have a $3K roku TV, a Roku ultra, and a 4K stick.  It will not do DD, DD+ on either.  As a matter of fact, going to Lost in Space on Netflix shows 4K HDR on the Roku title menu.   On the 4K fire stick, it shows 4k HDR DolbyD , so apparently Netflix knows Dolby wont work on a Roku too.  Im just going to use the Fire stick and not mess with Roku any longer.

Then odds are something isn't configured correctly.. I get DD+ from both of my Ultra players, which connect directly to Yamaha AVRs. Is your Ultra and Stick connected directly to Marantz via HDMI? Is the TV using ARC? If they are connected to the TV, and the TV is using optical, that is likely the issue. Some TVs cannot send DD+ out over optical. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@Jon_T wrote:

I honestly can't say if even my Nvidia Shield (which starts at $150 and goes up) can do it. It's just that most people who desire surround sound have AVRs that support DD+. 

Oddly I am going round this very debate with Now TV in the UK. I have three Roku based boxes, Now TV Smart Box, Now TV Box and a Roku Premier. None of them will deliver Dolby Digital 5.1.

I also have a Nvidia Shield TV Pro. I can report that in exactly the same setup it happily delivers Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Sadly there isn't a Now TV app for this platform.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@PeterO wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@Jon_T wrote:

I honestly can't say if even my Nvidia Shield (which starts at $150 and goes up) can do it. It's just that most people who desire surround sound have AVRs that support DD+. 

Oddly I am going round this very debate with Now TV in the UK. I have three Roku based boxes, Now TV Smart Box, Now TV Box and a Roku Premier. None of them will deliver Dolby Digital 5.1.

I also have a Nvidia Shield TV Pro. I can report that in exactly the same setup it happily delivers Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Sadly there isn't a Now TV app for this platform.

Yes, it's completely app/channel dependent. The Roku is certainly capable of playing AC3 audio. But Now TV has to have that within their channel itself. 

Dan
0 Kudos