Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axex
Level 7

Dolby Digital Plus Audio Issue

Hi, 
I am having an issue with getting Dolby Digital Plus audio to work with my Roku and my current setup.  I have tried searching on this forum (and elsewhere) and contacted support several times but have not had my issue resolved.  I have tried things like restarting/trying different HDMI ports/checking for updates etc...  

I have a Denon x4200w receiver which supports DD+.  The Roku I have is the 2016 Streaming Stick 3600X.  I bought it late last year.  It is plugged directly into the back of the receiver.  I also have the power adapter connected to it.   The video goes through the receiver and out to a projector if it makes a difference, though I don't think it should matter. 

When I go to Netflix or Amazon or any of the other DD+ streaming services I do not get any audio through my speakers when I select a 5.1 movie or TV show.  The video does work but the audio signal usually comes up as "unknown" or something else.  The menu noises work and some of the Netflix previews work in stereo but that is all.  

I have tried all the different settings in the Roku audio options menu, the only thing that works is switching it over to Stereo only, which is not what I want.  I have been told by support to try plugging it into my TV (they didn't understand the projector thing) and that I shouldn't plug it into my receiver like that, even though it is one of the suggested ways to set it up.  I have also been told by support that the issue is with my receiver and to contact Denon.  Another time was told that the receiver doesn't support DD+ even though it does and I can confirm that it works.  I have a BluRay player with some limited app capability that I can get Netflix and Amazon on and the sounds works fine through there.  It shows up as Dolby Digital Plus on the receiver and outputs 5.1 sound.  I would much prefer to use my Roku though! Please help!  
0 Kudos
8 Replies
richeydog
Level 8

Re: Dolby Digital Plus Audio Issue

Hmm the only thing I can think of is.........have you pushed the "PURE" button on your Denon Remote Control until you see "AUTO" on your receiver? That setting enables surround sound and will automatically switch to dolby digital plus when needed.  http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4200W/NA/EN/OBAOSYyriqsmlp.php
0 Kudos
Eskimo21r
Level 7

Have you figured this out?
I have just purchased the Tcl55p607 Roku tv.
I have it connected to my older Denon 791avr via hdmi arc on the tv and same on the denon. Both have arc enabled. Anytime the TCL tries to send DD+ to the Denon the only sound I get is crackling garbage sounds. If I make sure to set it to pure standard it shows it seeing DD+. Now if I set the tv to only send DD or DTS across arc it sounds fine and I can see which decoder it is using on the Denon.

I have by-passed the tv and plugged my fire stick back into the receiver and played the same video I was trying before and DD+ works fine.

I have also played DD True Hd via my Blu-ray player directly connected to the receiver.

If I set the tv to only send DD+ all sound is garbage coming out of the receiver.

I got the new tv hoping to simplify my set up and and get a sound bar to save room in the family room. Befor I purchase I would like to verify this issue with DD+ and the arc port first since I am planning on connecting it the same way. Was wondering if it was just my tv port or if others had the same issue.
0 Kudos
axex
Level 7

"richeydog" wrote:
Hmm the only thing I can think of is.........have you pushed the "PURE" button on your Denon Remote Control until you see "AUTO" on your receiver? That setting enables surround sound and will automatically switch to dolby digital plus when needed.  http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4200W/NA/EN/OBAOSYyriqsmlp.php

There's a lot of different sound options and I have tried them all, including the "PURE" one. I will try it again soon just to be sure though.  Usually it does a good job of selecting the right mode automatically. 
0 Kudos
axex
Level 7

"Eskimo21r" wrote:
Have you figured this out?
I have just purchased the Tcl55p607 Roku tv.
I have it connected to my older Denon 791avr via hdmi arc on the tv and same on the denon.  Both have arc enabled.  Anytime the TCL tries to send DD+ to the Denon the only sound I get is crackling garbage sounds.  If I make sure to set it to pure standard it shows it seeing DD+. Now if I set the tv to only send DD or DTS across arc it sounds fine and I can see which decoder it is using on the Denon.

I have by-passed the tv and plugged my fire stick back into the receiver and played the same video I was trying before and DD+ works fine.

I have also played DD True Hd via my Blu-ray player directly connected to the receiver.

If I set the tv to only send DD+ all sound is garbage coming out of the receiver.  

I got the new tv hoping to simplify my set up and and get a sound bar to save room in the family room.  Befor I purchase I would like to verify this issue with DD+ and the arc port first since I am planning on connecting it the same way.  Was wondering if it was just my tv port or if others had the same issue.

I have not figured this out, it has been an issue for quite some time now.  I search for it every now and then.  I don't know much about ARC so I can't help you there, but is DD+ compatible with it?  I know there's issues with DD+ over optical cables that a lot of people have trouble with.  I would assume as long as its HDMI it's ok.  Maybe make sure its a good cable or one of the newer ones?  
0 Kudos
richeydog
Level 8

"axex" wrote:
"richeydog" wrote:

There's a lot of different sound options and I have tried them all, including the "PURE" one. I will try it again soon just to be sure though.  Usually it does a good job of selecting the right mode automatically. 

Well if that doesn't work, is there someone you know who has another roku device(or even a chromecast,apple tv, etc) that you could try? Perhaps there's a problem with your Roku 3600?
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 9

I can stream DD 5.1 to my receiver from the TV using the optical output of the TV. But I don't imagine it would stream DD+ out of the TV optical port. Unfortunately the TV does not support ARC. I'll be sure and get that option on any TV set I might buy.

I have my Roku Stick plugged into my Sony Receiver. The Receiver has pass through, so I can watch Roku and stream a movie even though the receiver is "Off" --- the TV will play the sound that's delivered to it by way of the HDMI cable from the Receiver.

If the receiver is "On" then it can decode DD+ and DTS to the 5.1 speakers.
Ultra 4660
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 9

My Roku streaming stick is plugged into the receiver, which has the "pass-though" system, to allow audio and video to pass through the receiver to the TV (by way of the HDMI cable), without the receiver being on.

I ran across this issue tonight. Without my receiver on, I began streaming "Oklahoma" from the Roku Vudu channel to the TV.

But after about 15 minutes later, I decided I wanted to listen to the movie over the speakers. I turned on the receiver, and it showed a PCM signal being amplified, and not a DD signal.

In order to get the DD signal to appear in the receiver, I backed out of the Vudu channel, and then went back in to the Vudu channel, and resumed the movie, and then, the receiver showed it was playing in DD.

For whatever reason, this Vudu HDX movie streams in DD 2.0, and not in DD 5.1. I redeemed the UV code before the expiration date of 10/7/17.
Ultra 4660
0 Kudos
markw51
Level 7

Here's how I fixed this problem

Get an HDMI Audio Extractor from Amazon.  I set my Roku 3 audio settings to automatic.  Go from Roku to the extractor then from the extractor to an HDMI input on your TV.   Go from your TV Toslink output to your receiver.   Now my receiver gets Dolby Digital.  

I can't explain how this works but I believe the extractor is ordering Roku to output Dolby Digital.  If you go right from Roku to your TV the Toslink will output only 2 channel stereo.
0 Kudos