Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Dolby Digital Issues: Roku Ultra 4660X / Sonos Beam / Samsung UN75JU641D

First, I really apologize if this has been answered. I'm pretty techy, I'm great with problem solving, tinkering, and troubleshooting, and I've literally spent hours researching Roku, Sonos, and Samsung boards to solve my issue. I've found answers that gave me hope and others that made me lose it all. I'm at the point where I want to throw everything into the ocean, move to an isolated area at high altitude, and become a hermit. Before doing that, I figured I would seek help here as Roku seems to have the most helpful and supportive community. Please save me from becoming a hermit. I love my friends and family.

My setup is:

- Roku Ultra 4660X <HDMI> Samsung UN75JU641D <HDMI-ARC> Sonos Beam

My desired outcome is:

- Dolby Digital from Roku through Sonos Beam from any Roku channel

My current state is:

- Stereo from Roku through Sonos Beam from all Roku channels

Notes:

- I have tried literally every combination of audio settings on both my Roku (Auto Detect, DD, etc) and the Samsung. The HDMI cables are high speed, the Sonos is plugged into the HDMI-ARC port, and CEC is enabled.

- The Samsung specs indicate passthrough of Dolby Digital signal is possible.

- I get Dolby Digital from the Samsung apps and over-the-air via HD antenna. 

- I've read that it simply isn't possible to pass through DD via the TV due to HDMI specs.

- I've also read that it is possible with the "right" settings. I have no idea what those are, apparently.

Any help? I'm fine if the Roku/TV/Sonos combo makes it impossible, I just can't figure out WHY it would be impossible, and that glimmer of hope is driving me crazy.

I'm hoping there is some mixture of settings I just missed or something that needs to be enabled/disabled and would appreciate any pointers or tips.

I beg you to save me from a life of solitude.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Dolby Digital Issues: Roku Ultra 4660X / Sonos Beam / Samsung UN75JU641D

Update 9.2.x broke dolby digital audio output.  No matter what audio settings you choose, the Roku Ultra will only output PCM 2.1.  People have commented about Night Listening mode (which doesn't exist in the latest update) or other setting changes, but those fixes are false on version 9.2.x.  Roku needs to put out a patch.  

Others have said that ARC from your TV is the problem, not being to process DD+, but I have disproven that.  ARC works just fine with DD+ on other devices like a Chromecast, Raspberry Pi, FireTv, etc when passing through my TV.  My TV itself when using Hulu, Plex, or Netflix app on the TV itself passes through 7.2 audio through ARC just fine.  I plugged my Roku Ultra directly into my Sound Receiver, which is current gen with a highspeed HDCP2.2 compatible HDMI cable, and the Ultra still only sends PCM 2.1.  

ROKU NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE AND PUT OUT A PATCH... I have scoured these pages for a resolution, but none of them work, and all the solutions that have been posted dont work... solutions are people that used a wrong cable, or weren't on the latest update, etc... this is a software issue!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Has there been any resolution to this?  I recently bought the Sonos Arc soundbar and am experiencing the same issues.  I have the Ultra 4660X and am only getting Stereo output.

If I play Netflix through the TV's Netflix app, I get Dolby Digital Plus output from the Sonos Arc soundbar.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I did find a solution.  I might sound like an idiot, but 9.2.x did break the Roku, but not in the way that we thought.  This version introduced individual app settings for audio.  I had activated Night Listening mode through the system settings, literally, the night before the 9.2.x update

When the Roku updated, it applied night listening mode onto each individual app.  So because I was only getting PCM, I went into the Roku system settings, I checked and I turned off Night Listening mode, cause that's what everyone said was the problem. 

It took me like a 2 months to find, but even with it turned off system wide, when I looked inside an app, for example Disney+, Night Listening mode was turned on, causing my problem.  I don't remember apps having that option, or at least, it should have made a system wide change from within the app.  You have to start playing a movie, go to options with * or however, and then choose the audio from there.  I had to do it inside each app.  

The problem with the Roku main menu is, I believe it only does stereo anyway... the main menu isn't a good place to test the setting. 

I hope that helps anyone with this problem, and I hope this is the case for most people with this problem.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me.  I changed the audio settings after playing from Netflix/Amazon Prime/Disney+, made sure it was off (was never on).  Still only getting Stereo output (I know because the Sonos app tells you output).

When playing Netflix through the TV's Netflix app, the Sonos Arc soundbar outputs in Dolby Digital Plus.

I've searched the forums and tried everything.  Don't know why it doesn't work.  =(

0 Kudos