Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Heyitsrick wrote:

"The best available format" is stereo if the streaming device doesn't natively decode surround formats but rather passes them through. That's what most Roku models provide when the far-end device can't decode the channel app's surround format. 

However, what you're saying about Apple does apply to the 2020 Roku Ultra, which can decode surround formats in the Ultra box, itself. In that case, it would deliver the optimal surround output to the far-end device based upon the far-end device's capabilities. And, at about $100 cheaper than an Apple TV 4K. 

And what this whole thread is about is that Roku does not do a good job of documenting the expected thing that their devices other than the Ultra will fail to do.   Apple doesn't need to document it because their devices all do what is expected.

So when I point out public and accessible articles on how most Roku devices handle surround sound from roku.com, that's not documentation? It took me less than a minute to find the info on Roku re: surround processing and their supported audio specs. Less than a minute.  

At some point, you really need to take the time to look. Does that mean Roku has been perfect in the way(s) they've presented features? Of course not. But the information is there. 

And giving Apple a pass on documentation because they provide the end result that you "expect" is just inconsistent, at best.  

Anyway, I've said all I can here. If people still want to argue about "pass through", etc., fine. They do have a Roku option now, however, with the 2020 Ultra. 

Happy New Year, and be safe. 

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Heyitsrick wrote:
So when I point out public and accessible articles on how most Roku devices handle surround sound from roku.com, that's not documentation? It took me less than a minute to find the info on Roku re: surround processing and their supported audio specs. Less than a minute.  

No, it is not. Unless you can point out where it says "Do not buy this device if your system supports Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound". That is what people need to see before choosing a device, that unlike nearly all of the competition, will fail to work for them. The fact that it is possible for a technically-inclined person to find why it is broken with the resources of the internet after the fact isn't good enough.

yawitz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Heyitsrick wrote:

No, it is not. Unless you can point out where it says "Do not buy this device if your system supports Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound". That is what people need to see before choosing a device, that unlike nearly all of the competition, will fail to work for them. The fact that it is possible for a technically-inclined person to find why it is broken with the resources of the internet after the fact isn't good enough. [Emphasis added]

Thank you, @lesmikesell! That is exactly my point. It is easy enough to learn why the Roku doesn't work for me, in my dated setup, after the fact. If the product simply worked, I'd have no reason to investigate. Alternately, if the product listed the limitations in its main product information page (not just in its troubleshooting pages, which I initially had no reason to seek out), in a clear and unambiguous way (as it does re: its video limitations re: 4K and HDR), that would have steered me away from it as unsuitable for my setup. (The competition's clarity, or lack of it, on this is a separate topic.)

So to all you folks who are deeply knowledgable about Roku and their competitor's products, it's great that this is all obvious to you (and helpful to the readers of this forum). But your "blame the victim" approach is decidedly unhelpful.

I think that'll be it for me on this thread. I get that some of you are very happy with these products, and will continue to defend them. For me, I purchased a Roku product based on reviewing the primary product pages (validated by a handful of glowing reviews from trusted sources), and had a poor customer experience; that degraded my perception of the brand (and made me less likely to try them again). I ended up purchasing a competitor's product, and had a great customer experience. That's it.

sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I've been reading this forum for a long time (especially this "long in the tooth" thread). Posts here have helped me solve problems. That was possible because I was willing to listen. I've learned one other thing here....those who don't listen to Heyitsrick and StreamerUser are fools!

0 Kudos
Dreamfield42
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

For some time now I've not been able to play Dolby Digital+ on any of the apps on Roku. I finally found this discussion, turned off Volume leveling and now everything works great. I just wish there would have been a way to know this without hours of checking settings on my Yamaha receiver, my Sony TV and the Roku. An email? Maybe an alert on the Roku? At least have technical assistance with answers. I really don't know, but it seems strange to me that the auto volume leveling would only allow 2 channel audio PCM. I made sure the settings on my Roku was set to auto detect on format, but just never dreamed volume leveling would have anything to do with decoding format. A little bit frustrating.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
@Dreamfield42 wrote:

For some time now I've not been able to play Dolby Digital+ on any of the apps on Roku. I finally found this discussion, turned off Volume leveling and now everything works great. I just wish there would have been a way to know this without hours of checking settings on my Yamaha receiver, my Sony TV and the Roku. An email? Maybe an alert on the Roku? At least have technical assistance with answers. I really don't know, but it seems strange to me that the auto volume leveling would only allow 2 channel audio PCM. I made sure the settings on my Roku was set to auto detect on format, but just never dreamed volume leveling would have anything to do with decoding format. A little bit frustrating.

Very legitimate criticism - the volume modes/sound settings documentation/indication is definitely poor - especially about the multichannel output limitation when active.

This support article completely lacks any reference to disabled multichannel output when enabled:

https://support.roku.com/article/226802507

..though it does have a cryptic note:  "Note: Volume modes are not available for some audio formats."

and this support article:

https://support.roku.com/article/360011704154

...also has a somewhat less cryptic but still insufficient note: "Note: Volume modes are only available in stereo."

and this article:

https://support.roku.com/article/208755518

...never covers multichannel output not working and how to troubleshoot it...

Nowhere does Roku explicitly state or emphasize that enabling volume modes/sound settings will disable multichannel output (only that they are only available for "some audio formats" or "only available in stereo") - nor does the UI indicate that multichannel output is currently disabled, or otherwise provide a visible indicator at playback - even if briefly - that volume modes/sound settings are enabled, other than in the setting itself.

Its really poor functionality implementation and documentation at best, and hasn't improved since first implemented and "documented".

Jump to solution

I plug in my cable box and get 7 channel sound, I unplug the cable box and plug in the roku ultra into the same hdmi input and get pcmcia 2 channel sound, even though the av receiver displays Dolby digital is present on the avr display. Unplug the roku ultra, replug the cable box hdmi cable and 7 channel sound returns. Simple. Also used the hdmi cable used for the cable box

0 Kudos
Dreamfield42
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The difference may be in the source material. Is it the same program/format? Hulu, for instance, has very few Dolby Digital programs. If the source is the same I'd definitely check the volume control on the Roku. During playback touch the *options button and turn off the leveling of the volume mode.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

DD 5.1 worked from amazon prime from my newer roku 4800x. I just upgraded to a new 4K projector and was stuck w/ stereo audio convinced my old receiver was unable to decode prime dd plus. Was almost going to buy a new receiver and roku 4800x solved my audio problem

Amazon Prime 5.1 movie :
Ultra 4800X [2020] -> Audio Dolby Digital -> EZCOO SPDIF -> Yamaha receiver RXV 1400 - I got 5.1
Ultra 4670X [2019] -> Audio Dolby Digital -> EZCOO SPDIF -> Yamaha receiver RXV 1400 - I got stereo

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@hindianspring wrote:

DD 5.1 worked from amazon prime from my newer roku 4800x. I just upgraded to a new 4K projector and was stuck w/ stereo audio convinced my old receiver was unable to decode prime dd plus. Was almost going to buy a new receiver and roku 4800x solved my audio problem

Amazon Prime 5.1 movie :
Ultra 4800X [2020] -> Audio Dolby Digital -> EZCOO SPDIF -> Yamaha receiver RXV 1400 - I got 5.1
Ultra 4670X [2019] -> Audio Dolby Digital -> EZCOO SPDIF -> Yamaha receiver RXV 1400 - I got stereo

Yes, this is the Dolby decoder in the 4800 at work - its transcoding/converting the DD+ to DD for output (when it detects a DD-only legacy connected device).

I do recommend you switch to "Auto passthrough" mode (Setttings/Audio/HDMI), it will still transcode DD+ to DD, but keep everything else in its native format.

0 Kudos