Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

That doesn't say "it doesnt actually work" at all - in fact it says much consumer/some pro equipment doesn't have the ability to recognize it as such over the SPDIF (optical/coax) interface (which is true).

Ironically, you left out the very next sentence:

"This is not problematic if the data is passed unchanged, but any gain scaling or sample rate conversion, operations which are aurally harmless to PCM data, will corrupt and destroy a Dolby Digital Plus stream. (Older codecs such as DTS or AC-3 are more likely to be recognized as compressed formats and protected from such processing)."

...which states that it does work, if the data passes unchanged and/or if the equipment recognizes the EAC3 compressed format (over SPDIF).

Otherwise, older equipment that lacks DD+ support at all, is of course never going to recognize or decode a DD+ encoded stream (let alone over a SPDIF interface) - and newer equipment (with DD+ support) has to receive an unmolested SPDIF signal or otherwise recognize DD+ over the SPDIF interface (relatively rare).

Of course, in order for DD+ over ARC/SPDIF to work, both the sending and receiving devices have to both support DD+ and support it over ARC/SPDIF (and therein lies the rub - sometimes it can be very difficult to find out if a given product supports a specific codec/format over a specific interface, and often there are such actual differences in terms of format/interface support)

Regardless the original claim that DD+ isnt supported over ARC (common as of the last several years) or SPDIF (optical/coax; uncommon), is, in fact, false.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm not aware of any product that handles DD+ over SPDIF.  Or any product that would knowingly send it.  If you are aware of any, can you list some?  It does, and should, work over ARC which has the same bandwidth but provides a way to identify the content.

There may be older equipment that passed whatever the content provided through blindly, but it is not supposed to be done that way and can have bad results.  I believe Android TV's from several years ago might have done a raw pass through but this was corrected when Android 7 added the audio APIs to identify the data.

0 Kudos
LowFrequency
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Poor customer support indeed. Inferior design too.

I am returning my Roku device (my new 4K Fire TV Stick will be here Fri.), and it has the capability to output Dolby Digital 5.1, which solves the problem. Sorry Roku, no DD, no me.

I want to thank everyone who commented or tried to help. I enjoyed reading all the thoughts and suggestions. My TV will only recognize DD (or much preferred DTS) via HDMI input and not DD+. So for me, the only solution is to have DD sent from the streaming device, so Fire TV it is!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

"I am returning my Roku device (my new 4K Fire TV Stick will be here Fri.)"

Ah, the grass is always greener! Wanna bet there are some weeds in that pasture too? (Maybe even the same weed species Man Wink)

0 Kudos
William77
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner,  I know this reply is 9 months after your post, however, my Denon plays several formats including Dolby Digital +.  How do I know this, because I play "Vikings" through a separate Samsung blu ray which passes through and displays DD+ when I access my Amazon Prime via that device.  However, when I play the exact same program through Roku Premier, it only transmits in stereo mode.  The settings on my Roku are set to DD+ and also tried it on "auto".  Either way, the same Denon with the next HDMI input over from the Samsung only plays in stereo.  So there seems to be a problem with the Roku.  I have Amazon Prime on both the Roku and the Samsung so I can compare apples to apples.  So far I will keep the Samsung as a primary for Amazon broadcasts to allow my DTS 7.1 system to be fully enabled.  Wish I know how to fix this problem with the Roku Premier.

0 Kudos
William77
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  Zef Jedi!!  I deactivated the ridiculous "volume levelling" .  I went to the Roku Channel and downloaded a feature movie.  Once downloaded, I could click the * Options and turn it off.  Terrible that this was a default and that it interferes with DTS and Dolby Surround.  There should be more information published on how this "may" interfere with a surround system where the HDMI passes through Roku and is coded for translation by and AVR into surround 5.1 or 7.1 DTS, etc.

0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@William77 wrote:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  Zef Jedi!!  I deactivated the ridiculous "volume levelling" .  I went to the Roku Channel and downloaded a feature movie.  Once downloaded, I could click the * Options and turn it off.  Terrible that this was a default and that it interferes with DTS and Dolby Surround.  There should be more information published on how this "may" interfere with a surround system where the HDMI passes through Roku and is coded for translation by and AVR into surround 5.1 or 7.1 DTS, etc.

"Volume Leveling" is not a default setting. You need to activate it, yourself. At some point, you did.  

It's not a case of "may" interfere with DTS and Dolby. It absolutely changes the surround format to stereo when you enable volume leveling or night mode.  My guess is that it's much easier to produce a consistent volume output with two channels of audio vs. six or more.  

There is documentation on these modes:

Roku Support Page On Volume Options 

It doesn't really highlight it much, but the page above does say this near the top of the info about these modes:

"Note: Volume modes are only available in stereo."

I do agree that when setting any of these modes, there should be some kind of pop up or message of some sort that informs you that volume leveling / night mode will change the sound output format, and that it's ON. 

0 Kudos
TimmyP
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This is still broken lol. There is NO WAY it is not an issue. This is verifiable by using KODI and its Netflix plugin, and you will NOT have the DD+ issue. Everything switches fine, problem is that plugin isnt that great.

Its laughable that because I clearly have a Sony DTS MasterHD etc receiver hooked up correctly with ARC, and because the TV cant detect its DD+ support, "Passthrough" doesn't pass through DD+! I have to  manually force DD+ in everything (tv options\Fire stick) to get the "+" picked up by receiver. That means no LPCM effects, no LPCM period. ZERO AUDIO in Netflix, which STILL somehow detects 5.1 support and tries outputting its DD+.

Yet everything else ARC works fine. Volume control etc... Fix this plz, I s

0 Kudos
RC77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Stop wasting your time with ROKU. They are not gonna fix a thing. My best guess is they don't want to pay DOLBY licensing fee's. Also, if you go to the ROKU Channel and sample some various that movies ROKU OFFERS, they will pass DOLBY 5.1.2.  Try it. You'll be amazed to see your indicator light with DD, and DTS. Imagine that! ! 

If you desire the "BEST" performance I strongly suggest using the NVIDIA SHIELD TV, along with a XENON BUILD, and subscribing to REAL DEBRID for $3 bucks a month and you'll have everything from DOLBY ATMOS, DTS-X, DOLBY VISION, and all the HD and 4K movies you ever dreamed of. Well worth the investment.

Go to YOUTUBE and check out the XENON Diggs Build, and  Real-Debrid. It will blow your audiophile mind! Plus the build and Debrid, along with KODI provide continuous updates. My KODI is Version 18.8  What's yours? All done automatically.

Happy Streaming

0 Kudos
yawitz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Looks like I made the right decision to return my Roku and switch to Apple TV (which works perfectly in all cases in my setup re: providing surround). Yes, it's more expensive, but it does the job I needed it to do (and with a better overall user experience, in my opinion). I'll be hesitant to try this brand again before confirming issues such as this one have been resolved.

- Mitch

0 Kudos