Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

@pokuer2000 wrote:

On 4640x i get dd+2.0 on..wait for it.. ALL youtube videos. also philo, yt tv etcetcetc in menu too.

on 4670x i only get dd+5.1 in some netflix titles.

That would be a neat trick, considering that a huge number of YouTube videos are mixed in stereo-only. I'm not buying the DD+ on YouTube. Again, I've tried videos on the 2019 Roku Ultra, the latest generation Apple TV 4K, my Chromecast, and my TV's built-in YouTube app.  

But irrespective of that, what is the point you're trying to make?  If you're saying there's a Roku Ultra 2019 issue, you're going to have to throw in the Apple TV 4K and the Chromecast, too. And you did say you're getting Dolby Digital Plus on Netflix on the 2019 Ultra, as you would expect to. So, what's really the issue you're having?  

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

What the **bleep** is dd+2.0 anyway?????

0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@sgmfish wrote:

What the **bleep** is dd+2.0 anyway?????

Yeah, I let that one go unasked, but I'd like to know, myself.

0 Kudos
Jo-20
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for the information you provided.  When I stated I have an issue with switching the HDMI sources I meant within the AV.  The display changes to Blu-ray but the AV does not send the Blu-ray signal to the TV.  The TV says no signal.  I think in the past I use to hear a click in the AV when it changed sources.  I think it is stuck in the TV selection. Do you hear a mechanical click from the AV when you change sources? This is the reason I hooked the Roku directly to the TV.  It is interesting that you stated when you don't turn on your AV the sound played on the TV speakers as I was not able to so.  I called Pioneer about this back when I originally wired it and they suggested that I hook the cable box directly to the TV and use an Optical audio connector to the AV.  (At that time my HDMI control was set to off as default.) I will have to check the manual as I remember seeing something about standby mode.  Is there a setting for standby mode? I have been contemplating hooking the Blu-ray to the TV so I can use it, I wonder if I will get the 5.1 surround doing so.

I thought since my TV supported DD+ and the AV did as well that the TV would pass the audio info to the AV to play the 5.1 surround.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Jo-20 wrote:

Thanks for the information you provided.  When I stated I have an issue with switching the HDMI sources I meant within the AV.  The display changes to Blu-ray but the AV does not send the Blu-ray signal to the TV.  The TV says no signal.  I think in the past I use to hear a click in the AV when it changed sources.  I think it is stuck in the TV selection. Do you hear a mechanical click from the AV when you change sources? This is the reason I hooked the Roku directly to the TV.  It is interesting that you stated when you don't turn on your AV the sound played on the TV speakers as I was not able to so.  I called Pioneer about this back when I originally wired it and they suggested that I hook the cable box directly to the TV and use an Optical audio connector to the AV.  (At that time my HDMI control was set to off as default.) I will have to check the manual as I remember seeing something about standby mode.  Is there a setting for standby mode? I have been contemplating hooking the Blu-ray to the TV so I can use it, I wonder if I will get the 5.1 surround doing so.

I thought since my TV supported DD+ and the AV did as well that the TV would pass the audio info to the AV to play the 5.1 surround.  Thanks for your help.

Hey, no problem - glad to help. I guess there's a little mechanical sound when sources switch on the AVR on my end, but nothing too noticeable. Usually I hear a click that I attribute to the sound switching and syncing, if that makes sense.  

I'm still not clear on why you had to change the Roku input to the TV instead of the AVR, though. You do have four HDMI inputs on the AVR, right?  What I like about the test as I outlined it is if you end up with Dolby Digital Plus audio with the Roku connected directly to the AVR, then you know you've got something else going on - perhaps on the TV side of things. So, that's why I would do the Roku - to - AVR test and check the surround audio. If DD+, we can go from there.

As far as the BluRay goes, I would try it in a different HDMI Input on the AVR, for starters. You can also try it directly connected to the TV, of course, but either way, you're changing things up. If moving the BluRay to a different AVR HDMI Input results in a picture, and/or directly to the TV, the same picture, then something's amiss on the AVR. You can probably "reset" the BluRay, as well, but that's usually done when through its onscreen menu that you need to have a picture for, of course. 

What's the make/model of the BluRay player?

Re: Standby on the AVR - remember, my Elite is a few years newer than yours, so the standby functionality might be different on mine. I get a blue light on the front of the unit when it's "off" but in standby mode. If it's totally off without being in standby, all lights are off.  But when in standby mode (blue light), it responds to all source switching. You don't see the name of the source on the front of the unit, of course, when it's in standby, but you see the different source on your TV.  I'll take a look at your manual to see if there's anything there about this.

Jo-20
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have a Sony Blu-ray player BDP S580.  
I have an old VCR and turn table connected as well to the AVR.  I will have to try connecting to the TV to see if they come through the AVR to the TV and audio system.  I tried them when the BluRay wasn’t working so that is why I think the issue is the AVR source switching mechanism.  I am going to look at that again.
 I was trying to avoid pulling out this console that has my TV on it and other devices and center speaker.  It is very heavy. This was the other reason to hook to the TV.  
I read the AVR manual and it refers in the Control function that you can set the start up time via normal or eco for the stand by mode and I have it set at eco but I don’t see anything else on using the standby mode.  Thanks 

0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Jo-20 wrote:

I have a Sony Blu-ray player BDP S580.  
I have an old VCR and turn table connected as well to the AVR.  I will have to try connecting to the TV to see if they come through the AVR to the TV and audio system.  I tried them when the BluRay wasn’t working so that is why I think the issue is the AVR source switching mechanism.  I am going to look at that again.
 I was trying to avoid pulling out this console that has my TV on it and other devices and center speaker.  It is very heavy. This was the other reason to hook to the TV.  
I read the AVR manual and it refers in the Control function that you can set the start up time via normal or eco for the stand by mode and I have it set at eco but I don’t see anything else on using the standby mode.  Thanks 

I don't know if you're reading the same manual as I am, but you do have the functionality I have insofar as being able to switch sources when the receiver is "off". By "off",  I mean when it is in standby mode.

Here's the online link to your manual:  https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-50_OperatingInstructions051911.pdf 

In Section 08 (page 44) of this online manual, it details everything about the "Control With HDMI" section. Look at the two paragraphs on the right of that page - specifically the section listed as "HDMI Setup". There are a number of settings there, but the one you're most interested in setting is labeled "Select the Standby Through setting you want".  It seems like the only real prerequisite to switch sources while your Elite is in standby is to make sure "Control" is ON. 

Before you even go into the settings on your VSX-50, you can test to see if this is already active. Just turn your AVR "off" (standby, in other words), and then use the AVR remote to try and switch the source on the TV. DON'T turn the AVR back ON for this. Just leave it in standby mode and press a source button on the remote for something that's connected to your Elite. Obviously, make it a video source.  You want to be able to see the video switch on the TV. If it works, hey, you're already set up on the Elite. If not, then go into the settings as outlined above.

The verbiage in your manual about "Standby Through" is pretty short. Here's the same section from my manual (VSX-45):

"Select the 'Standby Through' setting you want.

It is possible to transfer signals from an HDMI-connected player to the TV when this receiver's power is on standby. When Control is OFF, no HDMI input is transferred through when in standby mode. However, when Control is set to ON, the HDMI signal is transferred through by the Control with HDMI function even when in standby mode.  

Switch by pointing the remote control at the receiver (that's in standby mode) and pressing (any of the source buttons)."

Anyway, the quoted text above is for my unit, but I just put it here as it more fully explains the "Standby Through" setting that you have, as well.

I hear you about dealing with heavy equipment. My AVR and some other electronics is in an older entertainment unit my wife brought into our marriage. (I can't wait to ditch it!) Anyway, it's quite awkward to have to do anything on the backside of the Elite where the connections are as there's lots of  other stuff there, too.  

One thing you can try with the BluRay is to power-cycle it. Pull the plug, in other words. Wait about 30 seconds or so and plug it back in. Then, try the video. You can also do that with your Elite. Just remember if you power-cycle the VSX-50, it won't be in standby mode when you plug it back in. You'll have to actually power it up once before it reverts to standby when you shut it "off" next time. That's how mine works, anyway.

Jo-20
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks, I will first check out and see if my standby mode is working or try to get it to work.  I tested my AVR last night and found that it did switch to the VCR and it came up properly so the source switch worked, the Blu-ray player still dosn't, I will then check the wiring to see if the HDMI connection is good on both units.  When I pulled out the Optical cable (which I didn't really need when hooked to ARC with control on) I had to remove the back cover of my console and maybe the connection was loosened or disconnected.  I will at this point pull the console out and check the wiring and switching to see if that is the issue and at that time I will try connecting the Roku to AVR. I also need to see why my turntable is not coming through the AVR as well.  It stopped working when I plugged in the Optical Cable and thought it was the problem.  I don't really use it but it would be nice if it worked.  Thanks again, I will be back to you when I get this done, it may be a couple of days if I have to pull out the console.  

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
Its DD or DD+ stereo-only (2.0 channels), thus "DD2.0" or "DD+2.0" as opposed to say "DD5.1" or "DD+5.1" - this is common in TVs (E.g. LG) that have built-in DD+ decoders/encoders/transcoders and built-in apps - instead of outputting PCM 2.0 they can/do/sometimes output DD/DD+2.0 (depending on the detected ARC/eARC device and app) instead.
0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

StreamerUser....."Its DD or DD+ stereo-only (2.0 channels), thus "DD2.0" or "DD+2.0" as opposed to say "DD5.1" or "DD+5.1""

Thanks. Didn't know that. A bit confusing since I think most folks associate DD with surround.

Speaking of confusing; now, with your definition, the poster's statement:

"Also many youtube (e.g.) videos use DD+2.0 stream with subcoding, making AVR produce proper 5.1+ sound in Dolby Audio Surround mode (de facto standard)."

makes even less sense to me Smiley Wink

0 Kudos