Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

All I know is that I get Dolby Digital and/or DTS from my Blu-Ray player and also my Charter/Spectrum box, which I kept (I get Spectrum streaming now) in my main room specifically because of the audio. I would love to ditch that box. I have Roku Premiere (two of them actually). Does anyone have that? I know you've been talking about some of the other models.
I have been unable to get regular DD on the Roku channel, and I have tried all of those settings, switching HDMI ports, etc. Obviously I should upgrade to a DD+/Atmos AVR but the whole point of going to Roku was to save money over cable. Just FYI, I'm an older guy (63) who had been in the tech industry—also a musician and amateur recording/audio engineer, so I have good familiarity with audio in/out, settings, etc.
Thanks.

0 Kudos
SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

DD+ streams have standard Dolby Digital (AC3) as a substream that is attached, and this stream gets handed off by newer TVs to the AVR via the optical connector, which is DD/DTS only.  Worked great for all apps until recently, when Netflix stopped working on the Roku.  Other users in this thread indicate that Firestick Netflix app still works fine, my Samsung TV Netflix app works fine.  It is a definite issue that has recently happened on Rokus, but only for some of us it looks like.

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

ScottCal = "Just FYI, I'm an older guy (63) who had been in the tech industry....."

FYI, turns out I am a very older guy (75) who had been in the tech industry.....how about that Smiley Wink.

0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

You'd think we'd have better thing to do, eh? LOL

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

At my age, this is about as good as it gets! LOL

0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'm about there, too.

I just went through all the settings, etc., and the Roku channel Homeland episode, and no matter what I do (and I have gone through all the settings of the AVR, too, though it does have auto on the HDMI) get nothing but stereo. I give up—there are no options left here.

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Since this seems to be the dominant thread on this "no 5.1" issue; I thought I'd document the 4 most important things I think I've learned in one place about solving this issue:

1. For more recent Roku models, while something is playing on the screen, hit the * button, and see if any sound mode has been enabled. Things like Volume Leveling, Night Mode, or something similar. All of those modes switches you to stereo.

2. Make sure you have the following options set on the Roku (unless you know you need other options):
Settings>Audio>Audio Mode = (Auto(DD+, DTS))
AND
Settings>Audio>HDMI = (Auto Detect)

3. If you have a Denon AVR (and perhaps other AVRs) be careful of the colored buttons on the remote. Those buttons affect the output from the Denon regardless of input; so if a stereo option is set for one of those modes (e.g., "movie"), you will only get stereo even though the input from the Roku is surround.

4. Hulu support of 5.1 for Roku is restricted to certain models (even some relatively recent models aren't supported by Hulu).

Bottom line is that you can't use Roku sound modes; the sound modes in the Denon have to be right (affects Denon output); and the Roku options must be set properly (so the input into the Denon is correct) for you to get surround.

0 Kudos
SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

sgmfish, that is all outstanding information and I'm sure it will help some folks.  Unfortunately, much of what you posted does not apply to many of us.  My 5.1 surround works perfectly in all apps on my Roku, except for Netflix.  No idea why, but I'm not the only one.  Hopefully there is more information or an app/firmware update that automagically fixes it for the rest of us.

And BTW, I'm also in the old guys club, although I'm a whippersnapper in comparison to you other old guys at only 53. Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

SmilingBob,

So are you saying that the Netflix app on your Roku does not give you 5.1, but the Amazon Prime app on your Roku does give you 5.1? If so, that is strange since they both use Dolby Digital Plus.

0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you, sgmfish. This is helpful to have this info recapped.

As for me, I only had DolbyDigital/DTS and was only getting stereo with my Premiere on everything.   No surround at all. (I have an older Sony AVR—STR DG910.) However, I just scored a preowned Onkyo TX-SR607 (also older), but it has DolbyDigitalPlus. Looks like a pretty good receiver for the $40.
So, we'll see how that works out.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos