Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
Justinto
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I got so tired of sometimes it works and sometimes it does not and having to rewind the video to the start to activate DD+, that I fixed it by going back to my Amazon Cube. No issues for audio since.

0 Kudos
SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Has there been any update on this issue?  Still having the no 5.1 audio issue in Netflix with Stick+ 3810X 9.2.0 4807-50. My Samsung TV takes the DD+ signal and passes the DD to the soundbar via optical. 5.1 audio in everything except for Netflix anymore. And this is definitely a Roku issue and began with 9.2 - my TV built in Netflix app passes the 5.1 just fine and all my other Roku apps (Prime Video, Plex, etc.) work great in 5.1 DD.

After reading this discussion it looks like people who mostly are still using optical out rather than HDMI are having this issue?

0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

As far as I know, Roku has not addressed it, and I'm sure it's a Roku problem. There has not been a system update, and I am not getting 5.1—surround—on anything. I have gone over my settings many times and am, regretfully, using my receiver to artifically make the stereo into 5.1. It's not the same. 

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@SmilingBob Thanks for the note here. A few more questions here:

- What model of A/V receiver are you using? Is your A/V receiver capable of decoding and playing Dolby Digital Plus audio? 

- Have you tried connecting your Roku directly to your receiver to see if you are able to receive the correct audio type? 

- What is currently selected in Settings>Audio>Audio mode on your Roku device? Try setting this to 'Auto'.

- If your receiver isn't capable of playing DD+ audio format, and your device is connected to your TV, this functionality would rely on your TV's ability to transcode DD+ audio from the Netflix channel on your Roku device down to another audio format, such as standard Dolby Digital, and send this to your receiver. It's possible that there is a limitation or issue with the ability for your TV to do this type of transcoding from an HDMI input device connected to it, and send an alternate audio format via the optical connection. Have you spoken to your TV manufacturer to see if your TV model supports this functionality? 

Keep us posted from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Is there anyone on this forum with 9.2 who IS getting surround now through their AVR? If so, please say! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Wsb
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

ive heard nothing.   yes, its likely us optical cable folks are the one's affected.  i dont believe this forum is monitored by roku?

ive been waiting to purchase another ultra until i heard of progress or otherwise.

0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I use HDMI through my receiver so it's not just optical. Scrolling up through these pages of messages, we can see those who are also having the problem.

0 Kudos
SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

- What model of A/V receiver are you using? Is your A/V receiver capable of decoding and playing Dolby Digital Plus audio?

It is a Vizio S5451W DD/DTS 5.1 (real surround speakers) sound bar.  It actually has a really good faux 5.1 surround based on DTS Circle Surround so it still sounds okay, but it's frustrating not being able to figure this out.

- Have you tried connecting your Roku directly to your receiver to see if you are able to receive the correct audio type?

If I connect it directly it will not output correctly, which is why I have always had the Roku connected to the TV via HDMI and then out from TV optical to sound bar.  Like I posted, everything (including Netflix) always worked great and DD was passed via optical by my TV.  Prime Video, which is also DD+, works just fine on the Roku app and the TV passes the DD signal to the bar.

- What is currently selected in Settings>Audio>Audio mode on your Roku device? Try setting this to 'Auto'.

It is set to "Auto."  This exact setup with same settings used to output Netflix DD to optical just fine - nothing has changed on my end at all.

- If your receiver isn't capable of playing DD+ audio format, and your device is connected to your TV, this functionality would rely on your TV's ability to transcode DD+ audio from the Netflix channel on your Roku device down to another audio format, such as standard Dolby Digital, and send this to your receiver. It's possible that there is a limitation or issue with the ability for your TV to do this type of transcoding from an HDMI input device connected to it, and send an alternate audio format via the optical connection. Have you spoken to your TV manufacturer to see if your TV model supports this functionality?

My TV passes the DD signal just fine from a DD+ source and has always worked perfectly fine with the Roku and Netflix up until recently.  I thought it was the upgrade to 9.2 firmware but I cannot pinpoint this as fact.  The way I understand DD+ to work, it already carries the 5.1 DD (AC3) as a substream.  The TV just has to pass the substream off to the receiver and yes, some TVs of the past do not do this.  Our newer Samsung 65" (and most newer TVs) does this fine, which was one of the reasons for purchase.

Thank you for such a quick response and your efforts to help, Tanner.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@SmilingBob  Thanks for confirming. Netflix does not provide standard Dolby Digital 5.1 audio format—their channel provides Dolby Digital Plus for surround. A few more questions here: 

- What model of Roku device are you using? (Settings>System>About) 

- What specific brand/model of TV are you using? 

- When did you first observe the issue with Netflix audio format occurring? (The 9.2 update has been released for a number of months now. If this occurred more recently, this may point to another change that may be causing this behavior.) 

- Are you able to connect your TV to your Soundbar using an HDMI ARC connection to see if the same issue occurs? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos