Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

@Zhukov wrote:

I have my Roku Ultra (bought when they came out late last year) connected to my TV and connected to my AVR (Onkyo) via HDMI/ARC. Turns out I have the same issue now. When I first started with my Roku Ultra, I found that YoutubeTV wasn't outputting DD. No big deal - I use THX mode and basically get the same thing. The other apps I usually use (Netflix, Vudu) were working fine in "Direct" mode. I prefer Direct mode as it does not alter the original audio.

Recently, I was watching The Pacific on Amazon and noticed that Direct mode wasn't working as intended and I was back to straight stereo. Turns out all the other apps are acting the same now when they worked fine before. My audio leveling is turned off already. Just tried out the Roku channel and it does process DD correctly.

So yeah - I agree with others that this is a firmware issue. I just hadn't noticed it because I've left my AVR in THX mode the last few months.

I think you must have something amiss somewhere in your settings, be them in the AVR or the Roku. I have the same Roku Ultra (2019 version Ultra) and a Pioneer Elite AVR. No issues whatsoever with Dolby Digital (when I say Dolby Digital, I mean Dolby Digital PLUS, the Dolby format many streaming companies use now, like Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc.). I have the latest Roku operating system 9.2.x version.  You've got some troubleshooting to do, but I seriously doubt you have a Roku firmware issue. I'm using HDMI/ARC, as well.

0 Kudos
Zhukov
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

All I know is that it was working right after I bought my Roku in October and now it's not - with no other changes to my setup. That doesn't account for any changes made by the providers themselves in the content they're streaming though.

Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Zhukov wrote:

All I know is that it was working right after I bought my Roku in October and now it's not - with no other changes to my setup. That doesn't account for any changes made by the providers themselves in the content they're streaming though.

I actually replied to this (except for hitting the "Post" button !!! yesterday), so here goes again.  

I've seen over time lots of responses like yours when a person is having an issue. It's seems logical to blame a particular device, as that's the only thing that seemingly changed. And maybe it is the device, but not quite the reason you may think. The greater point is that just saying "it's the firmware change" is that it's probably not going to get your system working correctly again.

I have the very same Roku as you, I use HDMI/ARC like you do. My AVR is a Pioneer Elite (owned by Denon, just like Onkyo is). My system absolutely provides Dolby Digital PLUS from all streaming sources that use that format, such as Netflix, Amazon and HBO, for starters. No issues whatsoever.

Given that we essentially have very similar setups - and most importantly the very same Roku 2019 Ultra - how is it that my firmware works and yours doesn't? I have the most recent OS version on my Roku Ultra. It's version 9.2.0 Build 4807-46 (as seen in the System/About section). My audio settings are Auto (Dolby Digital Plus, DTS), as seen when my AVR is turned on. 

To me, the very fact that mine does work normally seemingly points to some other issue on your end.

IF IT WERE ME, here's what I would do if I had your issue:

I would power-cycle everything in the chain. By that I mean pull the power plug on your Roku, your AVR and your TV. Don't just turn them off or use a software reset, but pull the power plugs. I'd leave them off for at least 30 seconds or so each. Then, I would power them back up. I'd power up the AVR first, then power up the TV, and finally power up the Roku. Double check all your settings after they are powered up again. When everything is back on, does your Roku say "Auto (Dolby Digital PLUS, DTS)" in its settings?  Does your AVR still have all the correct settings? 

When the Superbowl aired a few weeks ago, FOX had the option of seeing it in 4K/HDR on two of its streaming apps. When I first tried to view the pregame (also in 4K/HDR), it looked way too bright and not really the correct colorspace. It also did not trigger HDR on my TV - the little bubble notification that comes up in the top right corner when I'm in HDR mode.  I power cycled my Roku Ultra, then went back to the apps and tried again. Sure enough, it triggered HDR correctly, and the picture looked fantastic. I'd give your system the same shot. But again, in terms of audio, it's seemingly hard to blame the firmware if I have the same and it works for me.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'm thinking of switching to a Firestick. Surround sound is important to me. I bought my Roku a few weeks back and despite taking a lot of time and fiddling with ALL the settings—numerous times—it has never given me more than stereo.  I have it connected via HDMI to a Sony receiver and, yes, it is an older receiver that does get DTS and Dolby Digital (though not Plus or atmosphere) but I only receive stereo output from the Roku. I hadn't had time previously, but today connected an HDMI cable from my Charter/Spectrum box to the receiver. Surround. Then connected my Blu-Ray disk to the receiver via HDMI (I'd previously used optical for out) and that was surround (5.1) as well. So it's not the receiver. I am on 9.2 and have checked for system updates and it says it's up to date. I was going to get rid of my Spectrum service, and had signed up for Sling TV, but Charter offers a minimal streaming with really good sound (and a cheap add-on package that features SHO, HBO, Starz, etc.). So I cancelled Sling and I'm thinking of selling the Roku and getting a Firestick. I'm hoping Roku fixes the surround sound bug. And, yes, thanks, I've read jus about every message in this forum and tried every relevant fix. Frustrating!

0 Kudos
DaDDz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I've given up on my 4 year old Roku Ultra, which worked flawlessly and was a great addition back then when I started with Plex and Netflix.  But since January and the 9.2 update and absolutely no change in setup, settings or network, it has downgraded DD 5.1 to stereo on Plex streaming mp4 files and has issue with lag and sync on both Plex and Netfix.  After an initial response here from the the mod and also from direct contact with Roku support, nothing!  My new LG oled does everything my Roku did for me and better.  I'm taking the Roku out of the setup and will monitor things to see if there's a firmware solution to the Ultra or whether it's days are done.

LG C9 55Inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ® (OLED55C9PUA)
Sonos Surround 5.1Sound System
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This is just too bad. It does seem easier to switch to the Amazon platform.

Hey, Roku people (Tanner?)?! If you're monitoring this forum, respectfully, what's going on? You otherwise have a great product, but this seems like an important aspect to it. I mean, if you've taken pains to be compatible with 4K, you must have techs who can resolve this problem. I specifically stayed with premium movie channels through Spectrum rather than Roku due to the sound. 

0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@ScottCal wrote:

I have it connected via HDMI to a Sony receiver and, yes, it is an older receiver that does get DTS and Dolby Digital (though not Plus or atmosphere) but I only receive stereo output from the Roku. 

Most of the streaming apps today (Netflix, HBO, Hulu, etc.) deliver 5.1 surround using Dolby Digital+ audio stream. They will pass on a DD+ audio stream to your Sony receiver and if it is not DD+ capable it will output Stereo audio. If your Spectrum Box and Blu-Ray player can transcode DD+ to DD and pass it on to your receiver that is why you are getting 5.1 surround. Newer Roku models do not transcode DD+ to DD. They passthrough the DD+ audio and that is why your older Sony receiver is outputting Stereo. I am not sure if a Fire TV Stick will do transcoding or will just passthrough whatever format the streaming app provides. You could be in the same situation as long as your Sony receiver is part of the configuration and lacks DD+ capability.

BenQ HT2060 4LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K MAX
0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks! Though I have read in this thread that movies through the Roku channel app are not in "Plus" but just in Dolby Digital. Is that true? My Roku audio settings do allow "Dolby Digital, DTS" in addition to "Dolby Digital Plus, DTS." I don't seem to get any audio with that first one, even though I'm sure leveling and night mode are off. Does anyone know of a channel through Roku that is just Dolby Digital, DTS and I will try that again to verify.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Also, if this theoretically works in "Plus" (though note how many people above say it doesn't with 9.2), would one of those HDMI audio extractors (on sale at Amazon and eBay) work to downsample DD+ to DD? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Wsb
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’m sorry but they do not.  I’ve tried two.  Only works with the Roku channel.

0 Kudos