Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

Thanks, AVNewb! I did take a look at those earlier, but, all in all, one of them would be close to fifty bucks (including shipping, etc). And, from what I quickly read, Roku is going to stop supporting certain models (including that one), so it's possible some channels and streams may not eventually work on that. In the long-term, I'd probably be better off putting that $$ towards a streaming 4K tv with ARC out (neither of my tvs are smart nor 4K and 4K Roku TVs are really coming down in price), or an updated receiver. One step at a time, I think... 
Thanks—I will keep an eye on those in case a cheap one shows up!

0 Kudos
AVNewb105
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Understood. If you don't have hdmi in on the avr ornthr arc feature, the 4640nis worthless. However, I doubt they will stop supporting this model anytime soon as there are many lesser models out there still being supported.

0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks! I do have HDMI in on the Sony AVR, but, apparently, not arc, (I don't think.) At the moment, I have the ROKU plugged directly into the HDMI in on the receiver, and an HDMI out to my HDTV for the video. TV is a bit older, too, so its spdif out doesn't pass long 5.1 (if I were to wire it the other way), except for over-the-air signals. Sigh. 

0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

And, while we're here... what about the audio on services such as HBO and SHO. Does anyone know if they're in DD+ or DD/DTS, and does it matter through which "service" they're ordered on the Roku (Roku vs Sling, for instance). I'm kind of an old-school tech guy but this is all new to me.
Thanks again!

0 Kudos
DaDDz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@AVNewb105 wrote:

If you're connected to your avr via arc, just get the Roku 4640 on ebay like I did. It will transcode dd+ into dd. I have the roku hooked into the tv which is connected to the avr via arc. I just had to change the audio settings in roku from auto to dd, dts. I believe they removed support for the optical out port.

Problem solved for under $100.

It's not a hardware issue, they broke their own hardware with their firmware.  I'd hardly buy more of their hardware given how they support their current hardware.  Will move on to apps in my new LG and FireTV unless they fix it or at least respond to they issue.

LG C9 55Inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ® (OLED55C9PUA)
Sonos Surround 5.1Sound System
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
0 Kudos
AVNewb105
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It was my understanding that it was a hardware issue as certain models do not have the ability to transcode dd+ into dd.

0 Kudos
DaDDz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@AVNewb105 wrote:

It was my understanding that it was a hardware issue as certain models do not have the ability to transcode dd+ into dd.

Will that my be true, they still broke earlier models with the firmware.  My Plex server files are DD5.1 and they're coming through 2.1 since 9.2.  They have already acknowledge the additional sync issue 9.2 caused on numerous models.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Audio-Out-of-Sync-OS-9-2/m-p/541757#...

9.2 is the issue.

Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@DaDDz  Thanks for reaching out here. A couple questions to try and better understand the behavior you are seeing: 

1. What format are the video files you play from Plex encoded in, both video and audio? Have you tried encoding them in a different format to see if you experience the same issue? 

2. Have you tried playing the same files through the Roku Media Player channel? Do you experience the same behavior with audio that you do in the Plex channel? 

3. You referenced another audio topic that discusses an issue with a different display feature, as it relates to audio sync. In Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings, have you confirmed that 'auto-adjust display refresh rate is disabled? If not, does disabling this resolve the audio behavior you see in Plex? 

With more information, I can help pass your report along to the team to take a closer look and help work toward a resolution. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
DaDDz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@DaDDz  Thanks for reaching out here. A couple questions to try and better understand the behavior you are seeing: 

1. What format are the video files you play from Plex encoded in, both video and audio? Have you tried encoding them in a different format to see if you experience the same issue? 

2. Have you tried playing the same files through the Roku Media Player channel? Do you experience the same behavior with audio that you do in the Plex channel? 

3. You referenced another audio topic that discusses an issue with a different display feature, as it relates to audio sync. In Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings, have you confirmed that 'auto-adjust display refresh rate is disabled? If not, does disabling this resolve the audio behavior you see in Plex? 

With more information, I can help pass your report along to the team to take a closer look and help work toward a resolution. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Hi,

Video files are 1080 mkv and mp4.  Audio is DD AC3 5.1 AAC 5.1  AAC are the ones no longer in 5.1 when streaming. I could re-encode but they did work previously.  As I understand it the Ultra with optical out (mine) was the only device that could transcode AAC5.1 to DD5.1.  Has that been removed via 9.2?

RMP cannot see the PMS for some reason, so not an option.

Auto adjust display was disabled.

I may be wrong but it seems the two issues happening at the same time isn't a coincidence, 9.2?

Let me know, thanks.

Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR
0 Kudos
Zhukov
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have my Roku Ultra (bought when they came out late last year) connected to my TV and connected to my AVR (Onkyo) via HDMI/ARC. Turns out I have the same issue now. When I first started with my Roku Ultra, I found that YoutubeTV wasn't outputting DD. No big deal - I use THX mode and basically get the same thing. The other apps I usually use (Netflix, Vudu) were working fine in "Direct" mode. I prefer Direct mode as it does not alter the original audio.

Recently, I was watching The Pacific on Amazon and noticed that Direct mode wasn't working as intended and I was back to straight stereo. Turns out all the other apps are acting the same now when they worked fine before. My audio leveling is turned off already. Just tried out the Roku channel and it does process DD correctly.

So yeah - I agree with others that this is a firmware issue. I just hadn't noticed it because I've left my AVR in THX mode the last few months.

0 Kudos