Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DocEggman

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

This fixed mine! My wife was thrilled about the levelling options and I didn't think to check if this messed with content I used to watch in Dolby Atmos. This fixed it for me. Much appreciated! Kudos!

0 Kudos
JR2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a TCL 2019 6 series running 9.2 Roku and I'm only getting stereo running Netflix/Hulu ARC through  Denon AVR591. Disney, Amazon, and Plex all are coming up as DD 5.1. I have it set to output standard DD/DTS. The receiver is able to decode DD+ but I've given up as I only get a high pitched jittery sounds no matter what streaming app I use. While in Netflix if I try to adjust the audio it only shows 2 channel options, as 5.1 options are only available when setting the TCL Roku to send DD+. 

If I use my Chromecast (1080p) through one of the HDMI ports I get DD 5.1 through Netflix. 

I've contacted TCL and they pass the buck to Roku. I call Roku and they pass the buck to TCL. 

It makes no sense to me that a TV a purchases less than a month ago now needs a streaming device such as a 4k chromecast or 4k fireTV to output DD 5.1 in Netflix. 

Is there a workaround or update on this?

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Search this forum for how to set up both audio and HDMI options within the Roku app.

0 Kudos
ryeguy_24
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Identical problem here. TCL 65R625. Being that Netflix needs DD+ to distribute 5.1 audio, I have it set to DD+. However, same, I get high pitches scratch sounds at the beginning of any video or audio clip.  In addition, when I start the TV up the ARC doesn’t appropriately handshake with my receiver. Of course, when testing all of this with same Roku OS with Roku Ultra, it all works perfectly on DD+ setting. TCL needs to address these issues. 

0 Kudos
JR2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just bought a 4KFire TV stick. Not exactly a fix but with a 50% off discount it's only $25. I've tried my regular FireTV stick and Chromemast and they both have no issues with DD 5.1 through the TCL, so here's hoping the 4k model is the same. 

To be clear, Hulu, Vudu, HGTV, Netflix, and nearly every other app within the Roku TV is only outputting 2.1 besides Prime and Disney+

0 Kudos
AVNewb105
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm totally baffled and looking for help. I have a 2019 Roku Ultra and a Samsung HT-H7730wm Home Theater system from 2014. It is a 7.1 channel system and states that it supports DD and DD+.

When I do auto detect it shows up as Dolby Digital, DTS. However, I cannot get even standard Dolby Digital out of anything but the Roku app. I get full DD+ when playing Blu Rays so I'm assuming there is an issue with getting DD+ from the Roku.

In any event, I cannot get regular DD from Netflix or Disney plus which is obviously less than ideal.

Auto leveling is also off (I've gone through this entire thread numerous times).

Am I forced to buy a Roku with optical out and settle for regular Dolby Digital?

Thanks for your time and assistance! 

0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@AVNewb105 wrote:

I'm totally baffled and looking for help. I have a 2019 Roku Ultra and a Samsung HT-H7730wm Home Theater system from 2014. It is a 7.1 channel system and states that it supports DD and DD+.

When I do auto detect it shows up as Dolby Digital, DTS. However, I cannot get even standard Dolby Digital out of anything but the Roku app. I get full DD+ when playing Blu Rays so I'm assuming there is an issue with getting DD+ from the Roku.

In any event, I cannot get regular DD from Netflix or Disney plus which is obviously less than ideal.

Auto leveling is also off (I've gone through this entire thread numerous times).

Am I forced to buy a Roku with optical out and settle for regular Dolby Digital?

Thanks for your time and assistance! 

If you're saying Auto-Detect isn't showing Dolby Digital PLUS, but rather just standard Dolby Digital, there's some issue between the Roku and the receiver. By the way, almost all the major channel apps (Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc.) use Dolby Digital PLUS, so you're not going to get standard Dolby Digital to your receiver. You'll either get DD+ or Stereo if it can't detect DD+. There's no transcoding (converting) DD+ to standard/old Dolby Digital in the 2019 Roku. 

I have the 2019 Roku Ultra into a Pioneer Elite AVR, and have no issues whatsoever with Dolby Digital Plus. So, it certainly does pass that along to a receiver. It just sounds like the receiver isn't telling the Roku it can handle DD+ in the handshake between the two.

0 Kudos
AVNewb105
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering why I can get dolby digital plus directly through the netflix app on the receiver but not when coming from the roku to the receiver via hdmi. The cable description states: 4K HDR HDMI Cable 6 Feet, HDMI 2.0 18Gbps, Supports 4K 120Hz, 4K 60Hz(4 4 4, Dolby Vision, HDR10, E-ARC, HDCP2.2) 1440P 144Hz, High Speed Ultra HD Cord.

In any event, if I'm unwilling to switch my tv or receiver. Am I stuck getting a roku with optical out? If so, is there a chance that the unit will eventually stop transcoding you Dolby digital?

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Make sure you have the following options set on the Roku:

Settings>Audio>Audio Mode = (Auto(DD+, DTS))
AND
Settings>Audio>HDMI = (Auto Detect)

AVNewb105
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It will not auto detect dd+ and even when selected, I cant get dolby out of netflix. Does the Rokue 4640 with optical out still transcode to Dolby Digital or has that feature been eliminated?

0 Kudos