Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zwack
Binge Watcher

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@Zwack As I mentioned before, try using option #2 in the article I provided. This should solve the issue you're experiencing. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Option 2 would require me to replace my sound setup or purchase a separate AVR.  Option 3 is exactly right for my situation.  The issue is how Roku decides which formats can be supported.

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

Each channel provider controls and manages all content formatting and delivery within their channel, and will always be the best point of contact for any questions.

As you suggested, on 1/9/20 I posted the issue of no Hulu surround on Roku to the Hulu forum. I pointed out that the Hulu 5.1 announcement of 12/12/19 ( hulu.tv/SoundQuality ), as I mentioned above, said that 5.1 was supported by Hulu on "select models" of Roku. I asked if my model (Roku3 4200) was one of the select models.

I didn't get a reply, but I did notice that Hulu updated their 5.1 announcement today (1/10/20) to now say "Roku and Roku Stick (3810X, 3920X, 4400X and 46*0X models)" instead of the generic "Roku and Roku Stick (select models)". So I guess that means that Hulu does not support 5.1 on my Roku3.

Can you confirm that If I purchase one of the Roku models listed above that I will get 5.1 from Hulu?

0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@sgmfish wrote:

@RokuTannerD wrote:

Each channel provider controls and manages all content formatting and delivery within their channel, and will always be the best point of contact for any questions.

As you suggested, on 1/9/20 I posted the issue of no Hulu surround on Roku to the Hulu forum. I pointed out that the Hulu 5.1 announcement of 12/12/19 ( hulu.tv/SoundQuality ), as I mentioned above, said that 5.1 was supported by Hulu on "select models" of Roku. I asked if my model (Roku3 4200) was one of the select models.

I didn't get a reply, but I did notice that Hulu updated their 5.1 announcement today (1/10/20) to now say "Roku and Roku Stick (3810X, 3920X, 4400X and 46*0X models)" instead of the generic "Roku and Roku Stick (select models)". So I guess that means that Hulu does not support 5.1 on my Roku3.

Can you confirm that If I purchase one of the Roku models listed above that I will get 5.1 from Hulu?

Hi, it doesn't look like you got a response to this. I have the 2019-model Roku Ultra (Model 4670). It absolutely gets surround sound from Hulu. I tested it by briefly putting on the movie "Detroit". The movie is preceded by an advertisement which is just in two-channel stereo, BUT as soon as it switched to the actual movie, I got Dolby Digital PLUS surround audio from it.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
maons
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi, it doesn't look like you got a response to this. I have the 2019-model Roku Ultra (Model 4670). It absolutely gets surround sound from Hulu. I tested it by briefly putting on the movie "Detroit". The movie is preceded by an advertisement which is just in two-channel stereo, BUT as soon as it switched to the actual movie, I got Dolby Digital PLUS surround audio from it.  Hope this helps.

I just checked the movie 'Detroit' on Hulu and it is in Dolby Digital + with 5.1 Surround Sound.

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks guys for the confirmation. I am going to purchase a Roku Premiere (3920) today.

BTW, I find it interesting that even though I didn't get a reply to my 1/9/20 post on Hulu's community board, they did update their 5.1  announcement page to indicate which models they were talking about. Perhaps it was a coincidence that they updated the announcement page (from 12/12/19 to 1/10/20) the very next day after I posted my question, but maybe not.

0 Kudos
ScrapMTL

Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

I got mine to work, finally.

I had to disconnect the Roku from the AVR, and direct to the tv. Set the tv from PCM to RAW. Then set the Roku to DD+/DTS on the HDMI setting within the audio menu.

If your tv doesn't support RAW you're probably SOL.

It works, but shouldn't have to be this way. Roku needs to fix this. I doubt this fix would work on a Roku TV.

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

ScrapMTL,

I have explored this issue fairly deeply. I too thought Roku had a problem, and even thought I had proved it, but I found that if the Roku options were set properly (as confusing as they might be), my Roku worked as expected.

What exactly is the issue that you think Roku needs to fix? I ask because I'm still looking for possible issues I should be aware of as I continue to implement my surround system.

0 Kudos
Wsb
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Although audio config shows Dolby dts, only the Roku channel plays Dolby.  All others are pcm.  

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Just to complete my contributions to this thread.....

I did purchase a new Roku Ultra (4670R - 2019) and sure enough I now get 5.1 sound from Hulu.

0 Kudos
JD_Streaming
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

And I am very thankful for this thread as well. I also had tried all kinds of things to get Dolby Digital and Digital plus working again and all I was getting was stereo. I have a very straightforward setup with my Roku Premier + connected to my receiver and the receiver connected to the TV all via HDMI. After reading this thread, I discovered that leveling was on even though I don't think I ever set that. After turning it off, I simply told my receiver to reset the audio and mid stream, it immediately started providing Dolby Digital plus again. No resetting to defaults or rebooting devices. I'm all set and thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread.

0 Kudos