Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

@Gbjeffrey71 wrote:

Using just my smart TV, I am also receiving 5.1 surroundsound using the Netflix app, which is connected to my receiver via HDMI. And, again my receiver can only decode Dolby digital and DTS not DD+. So, I agree there has to be something wrong with the Roku device where its not recognizing the pass through audio correctly when using the Netflix app on this device. 

You said in an earlier post here that you bought an Ultra and connected it via HDMI to your receiver.  You've also said that your receiver does NOT decode Dolby Digital Plus.

That is the reason you're not getting Dolby Digital Plus via the Roku. When you connect the Roku to a device, they communicate with each other. In simplistic terms, the Roku is asking, "hey receiver, what audio formats do you support?". In your case, the receiver answers "I can decode standard Dolby Digital" (not Dolby Digital Plus).  That's the be all and end all of your issue.  The Roku does NOT decode Dolby surround streams, regardless of whether they are standard Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus.  And in your case, your receiver can't decode Dolby Digital Plus.  Netflix and HBO stream in Dolby Digital Plus.  You don't have a way to get that at present through your receiver that doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus.

I hear you now...you're saying "but I get 5.1 Dolby Digital from the TV's Netflix app!"  Well, a couple of my TVs can decode Dolby Digital Plus and then send it out (to a receiver) as standard Dolby Digital (it's called "transcoding"). I have a couple of LG HD TVs that have this capability of decoding DD+ and outputting it as standard Dolby Digital. But in your case, that's not going to work with the Roku.  You're connecting the Roku to the receiver, and the receiver knows nothing about Dolby Digital Plus. It can't output it. That's where your DD+ audio stream from the Roku breaks.  DD+ is a foreign language to your receiver. 

Your fix? Get a receiver/AVR that supports Dolby Digital Plus, and all will be well with the world.  I would get one that supports 4K/HDR, as well, assuming your TV supports 4K/HDR.

0 Kudos
JeffS
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

If the Roku Ultra is a 4640 (model with both hdmi and optical out) it can transcode down to Dolby Digital. I use it with a Sonos Playbar 5.1 setup for Netflix, Disney+, etc...  This is a popular box amongst the Sonos community for its DD transcode functionality. This is still working with 9.2 for me over hdmi and optical.

99-99
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah I saw that they offer a model with the optical out, but I hate to spend more money when what I have should work.

I am not using a receiver to decode, everything is feed to the TV, then the TV optical out, then to Sonos.

I can’t find anything on the Samsung TV if the internal apps(prime, Netflix, etc) gets transcoded to 5.1 internally then to optical out while the hdmi inputs don’t get transcoded and just passed through.  Not sure how to prove or disprove either. 

0 Kudos
Gbjeffrey71
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I ended up disconnecting the device from my receiver and connecting it directly to my TV. TV uses and optical out to the receiver and this worked, after I changed my sound settings on my TV to either Dolby Digital when available or DTS Neo2:5. Its a solution for now and something I can work with until I decide to upgrade my receiver.

0 Kudos
Sottosanti

Jump to solution

This is EXACTLY the issue I am having! Word for word!  

I even went to YouTube and tried the 5.1 tests. Nothing in rear speakers and the subwoofer is silent too. 

I thought I had corrupt firmware from my Yamaha receiver. It appears to be the roku 

JimmyCrackCorn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

All of this stuff about getting another reciever is total nonsense.  The problem is the Roku Ultra is junk.  The sound quality on apps like Spotify and Pandora is terrible.  It only play Dolby 5.1 on the Roku channel.  Everything else sounds like mono sound.  The voices in movies get buried in the mix and you can hardly understand what they are saying.  I don't have any issues with smart tv apps.   This is a waste of money.

0 Kudos
Gbjeffrey71
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I agree, there has to be something wrong with the Roku apps aka Netflix etc., or the device itself. If My 7 year old smart TV Netflix app plays 5.1 and it’s connected to my receiver via optical cable. Then, I should have the problem using the Netflix app via Roku connected to my receiver. 

0 Kudos
umeng2002
Streaming Star

Jump to solution
Blame the content creators for compressing their audio so much and using bad quality streams with Roku devices. Make no mistake, Netflix and others use the minimum bitrates for Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital plus. Streaming Blu-ray rips with Plex with full-bit rate rate DTS, DD, and DD+ sounds much better.
Wsb
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same here with the Roku channel.  Works with Dolby 5.1.  All others pcm.  I’m new with Roku.  Had a TiVo mini with a monoprice HDMI switch with an optical port to send audio to my Yamaha.  Worked great with any app like Netflix and Amazon.

with Roku ultra, only pcm with the exception of Roku channel.  Roku audio set up to use Dolby dts.

I’ve read a bunch of posts that try to explain why it doesn’t work but frankly why even have an audio setup if no one’s supporting anything but ++?

if it’s true then Roku needs to post that.

0 Kudos
JimmyCrackCorn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's amazing that every app changed to ++ on the same day except the Roku channel. Yet all these same apps still work on the smart tv.  Suddenly all the service providers decided to change and render 99% of the surround sound equipment useless on the same day. But its only on noticed on the Roku. I'm calling BS here.  They advise all the things the Roku Ultra can do but where is the disclaimer saying you need ++ equipment.  It all lies and failure to take accountability for making defect products.