Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
umeng2002
Streaming Star

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution
The only other thing I did was factory reset and a power cycle afterwards... not just a factory reset. I'm running thru an HDMI splitter with EDID handling capability. I thought it was that device causing issues with not getting surround sound, but again, I did a factory reset on the roku and a power cycle, and it works now.
0 Kudos
Gbjeffrey71
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

When, I did a factory reset I also pulled the plug for 20-30 secs but this did not seem to help in my case. When it came back up, I logged back into both apps Netflix and HBO, tried playing a 5.1 movie which and still only received 2.1 sound. The description you would normally see under the movie title HD 5.1 or Ultra HD 5.1 only showed HD. Both my audio settings are set to Dolby Digital and DTS. However, if I change my HDMI audio setting to Dolby Digital Plus, DTS then go back into the Netflix app, I receive the HD 5.1 label showing under the title of the movie, but when I play the movie I don’t receive any sound. Under the audio options under Netflix, I now see the “English with 5.1 option” which I can now select. But again, I don’t receive any sound in the mode unless I change my HDMI settings back to Dolby Digital, DTS. When I go back to the home page and select “featured free”, and click on a movie “journey to the center of the earth” or “Ray Donovan”, my receiver detects the signal and play digital 5.1 sound. It’s just the apps are not being allowed to deliver or detect the correct audio format. My receiver, cannot decode Dolby digital plus, but it should be backward compatible from everything I’ve read. And, the Roku firm should have this decoding built in to allow this. From everything I’ve read about this 9.2 update release other people are having other problems were not having. 

0 Kudos
okogo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
surround sound is also not working properly on my roku 4640x using optical output. when i run my surround sound test, the sound that is supposed to be on the surround (rear) right speaker goes to the front right speaker; sound for the surround (rear) left speaker goes to the front left speaker. when my surround system is connected to xbox, surround sound works properly. software version is 9.2.0.4806.
99-99
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So factory reset had no positive outcome for me.  But I do see Dolby 5.1 in the free section of roku.  No Dolby 5.1 on prime, fubo, netflix.  I do see Dolby 5.1 when using the amazon prime Samsung tv app and blue ray player.  All devices are passing optical out of TV to sonos system.  So pretty simple to assume roku isn’t passing Dolby 5.1 through with prime and Netflix  

0 Kudos
JeffS
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am using a Roku Ultra with Sonos and the recent update caused my 5.1 to stop working. I found the info below in another thread. It seems the update enabled a Volume Mode setting as a default.  Disabling Volume Mode settings fixed my Roku. I hope this helps you out. ============================== If you have any 'Volume mode' settings enabled, this may also be what's causing the issue. Use of Volume modes is not supported with surround audio, and will cause PCM (stereo) audio to be output from your Roku device. You'll want to make sure to disabled any Volume modes, such as 'Leveling' when trying to play surround sound audio. 

During playback of content, press the * key on your remote. A sidebar panel will display on the lefthand side of the screen. Scroll down to 'Volume mode' and make sure this is set to 'Off'. Then check Settings>Audio>Audio mode and try selecting 'Auto' before playing content again. The source channel you are trying to play content from will also need to provide whichever surround sound format you are trying to play. For example, Netflix on Roku provides Dolby Digital+ audio format for Dolby surround. If you're not sure about a particular channel, feel free to contact that channel directly for more information about their provided audio formats on Roku.

Keep us posted with what you discover!

Thanks,
Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
Gbjeffrey71
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner. Thanks for the suggestion and feedback. I did check the * option while using Netflix, when I first started my troubleshooting and found my volume mode off. I reached out to Netflix as well and they’re pointing the finger at Roku, as they say I should have the ability to play a movie and receive the 5.1 audio format while using the device. My thought is the decoder is missing on the Roku device, which allows playback from the Netflix app. Other people are stating the same issue, who owned the device prior to the 9.2 update and were able to receive 5.1 audio format via Netflix but after the upgrade cannot. I’m hoping Roku recognizes the issue and releases an update to fix the issue. 

0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Gbjeffrey71 wrote:

... My receiver, cannot decode Dolby digital plus, but it should be backward compatible from everything I’ve read. And, the Roku firm should have this decoding built in to allow this. From everything I’ve read about this 9.2 update release other people are having other problems were not having. 

(italics and bold mine above)

Roku boxes pass through Dolby audio. They don't convert it in the Roku box.  They send it through to your audio system and/or TV, and if either your audio receiver OR your TV can decode it, that's where the surround comes from. If your receiver can't decode Dolby Digital Plus *** (which many streaming apps use now vs. older "standard" Dolby"), where do you expect that this surround sound is going to come from?  

*** Apps like Netflix use Dolby Digital Plus almost exclusively. You need a receiver that can decode DD+ to get surround sound from Netflix and other apps like it.

https://support.roku.com/article/208756108-can-i-listen-to-movies-and-tv-shows-in-surround-sound-

0 Kudos
okogo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

i downloaded surround test files on a usb stick and played them using roku media player. dts and ac3 surround worked properly. the surround issue i encountered was with plex. i have to change direct play settings in plex from auto to force.

0 Kudos
99-99
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I checked the audio that leveling was off for prime and Netflix, so difference there.

My Sonos is receiving 5.1 from Netflix and prime via Samsung tv app.  So either roku isn’t passing/working properly or the roku Netflix/prime isn’t using the same audio format??

0 Kudos
Gbjeffrey71
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Using just my smart TV, I am also receiving 5.1 surroundsound using the Netflix app, which is connected to my receiver via HDMI. And, again my receiver can only decode Dolby digital and DTS not DD+. So, I agree there has to be something wrong with the Roku device where its not recognizing the pass through audio correctly when using the Netflix app on this device. 

0 Kudos