Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daygreen
Reel Rookie

Re: Dolby Digital/ 5.1 surround sound audio

I have a Roku 4640X with an HDMI cable going from the Roku to an HDMI input in a Yamaha TSR 5810. The HDMI output from the Yamaha goes to an HDMI input on a Samsung UN65KS800DF TV set. I can only get stereo output when using the Roku. Other devices  (Xfinity box, a 2nd generation Chromecast, and a circa 2013 Western Digital Media Player) connected to the Yamaha in a similar manner, get Dolby 5.1, DTS, and other advanced audio formats. When I originally set up the Roku in this manner, I had no difficulty with 5 channel audio. I believe that it started happening after an update. The audio settings on the Roku are Audio mode Auto (Dolby digital+ DTS), and HDMI and S/PDIF Auto detect. I've tried other HDMI inputs on the Yamaha, as well as different cables. I even tried using an S/PDIF cable. All I can get from the Roku is stereo output. 

I am able to get 5 channel audio from 2 older Rokus that are connected to similar receivers in other rooms in my house. 

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Many of us are only getting 2.1 PCM stereo instead surround on most apps after a Roku update (the Roku Channel is an exception....it still plays surround).

See the more active "Update 9.2 broke dolby digital" thread for more info.

0 Kudos
Hideki
Reel Rookie

Would you happen to know if the ROKU ULTRA MODEL 4640X converts the DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS audio to DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 via Optical Out ? I think this is the 2016 model, if I'm not mistaken.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Hideki wrote:

Would you happen to know if the ROKU ULTRA MODEL 4640X converts the DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS audio to DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 via Optical Out ? I think this is the 2016 model, if I'm not mistaken.

The Ultra 4640 is the ONLY Roku player that can convert DD+ to DD. It will do so via HDMI or optical out. But the Ultra 4660/4661/4670 does not have that encoder, so cannot output DD+ as DD. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MassiveAardvark
Reel Rookie

Baloney. I get 5.1 surround from Netlix using an Amazon Fire Stick from the Hisense TV output connected to a Vizio 5.1 sound bar via optical cable. 

Then the 5.1 surround from Netflix goes away when switching to the Roku Streaming Stick Plus. All other equipment being the same. 

Also, 5.1 surround works on the Roku for other streaming services like Amazon Prime and Disney Plus. 

This is clearly a Roku design flaw. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@MassiveAardvark wrote:

Baloney. I get 5.1 surround from Netlix using an Amazon Fire Stick from the Hisense TV output connected to a Vizio 5.1 sound bar via optical cable. 

Then the 5.1 surround from Netflix goes away when switching to the Roku Streaming Stick Plus. All other equipment being the same. 

Also, 5.1 surround works on the Roku for other streaming services like Amazon Prime and Disney Plus. 

This is clearly a Roku design flaw. 

The FS4K has a DD+ decoder/encoder (converts the DD+5.1 to DD5.1 for output) - the SS+ does not (the only Roku model that does is the Ultra 4640, as atc mentioned).  This is why you get NF w/5.1 with the FS4K and not with the SS+ (the FS4K is converting the NF DD+5.1 into DD5.1).

As far as getting 5.1 from Prime and D+ with your SS+, you are probably mistaken (unless your HiSense has a somewhat broken/limited DD+ decoder/encoder HDMI/optical implementation) - they - like NF - use DD+ and only output PCM 2.0 when your SS+ is connected to a DD5.1 (not DD+5.1) capable device.

Its not so much a design flaw as a design limitation - Roku's (aside from the 4640) support passthrough (of supported codecs, with some exceptions), not conversion/encoding/transcoding.  If all Roku models included a DD+ decoder/encoder this issue would be pretty moot, since the Roku would just convert DD+ to DD for output when configured for/connected to a DD-only device.

0 Kudos
MassiveAardvark
Reel Rookie

I'm watching Disney Plus with surround sound using my Streaming Stick Plus right this moment. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@MassiveAardvark wrote:

I'm watching Disney Plus with surround sound using my Streaming Stick Plus right this moment. 

Then either your TV is doing some form of DD+5.1 decoding/converting to DD5.1 via optical, or, your soundbar is applying surround upmixing (2.0 to 5.1/etc) to the 2.0 signal via optical from the TV.

You should also know DD+ decoding/converting support in TVs varies widely in its implementation over the years and within brands, and there may be additional configuration necessary for the optimal/desired output via ARC/Optical.

If NF doesnt show a "5.1" tag on any content, that means the Roku isn't configured for DD+ output.  Check Settings/Audio/Audio Mode - by default it should be "Auto (with the detected modes listed here)". 

If it shows "Auto (DD+..)" then you'll get 5.1 output on any app/content that supports it. 

If however it shows "Auto (DD..)" then most apps/content (incuding NF/D+/Prime) will be output in 2.0 (aside from say the Roku Channel..which supports DD) since most streaming platforms now use DD+.

Even assuming the case of D+ and Prime giving you 5.1 but NF only 2.0 from your SS+, it still wouldn't be an issue with the Roku - but rather with NF's Roku app.

0 Kudos
jayoh999
Binge Watcher

I've not read all the posts in this thread, but, I will offer this comment: I purchased the 4630X or Premiere + in 2017 realizing it did not offer DD, since at that time, only the Roku Ultra did.  I already had a Panny DVD player with a proper output of DD for Netflix, so no need to spend extra to duplicate what already worked.  DD for YT is somewhat worthless. Roku's site no longer offers the Ultra as a product, although Jeff's Delivery Service does, both here and below the 49th.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@jayoh999 wrote:

I've not read all the posts in this thread, but, I will offer this comment: I purchased the 4630X or Premiere + in 2017 realizing it did not offer DD, since at that time, only the Roku Ultra did.  I already had a Panny DVD player with a proper output of DD for Netflix, so no need to spend extra to duplicate what already worked.  DD for YT is somewhat worthless. Roku's site no longer offers the Ultra as a product, although Jeff's Delivery Service does, both here and below the 49th.

Every Roku player supports Dolby Digital. What you are referring to is an encoder to turn DD+ into DD. You are correct that the Ultra 4640 is the only player that ever offered that function. No current player offers that at this time.

The Ultra certainly is still available, but not the 4640. The current model is the 4670, but there's also been a 4660/4661 version. None offer a DD encoder. If your audio device (TV, soundbar or AVR) doesn't support DD+, you will only get stereo audio.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos