Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickcostides
Level 7

Dolby Digital 5.1 Question

I consider myself an advanced user, and have spent hours trying to diagnose the problem but to no avail.  I am hoping there's something easy I missed.

I currently have:
Samsung KS8500
Pioneer VSX-823
Roku 4

The only way to get 4k 10bit is to connect is to connect the Roku 4 to my TV, then use ARC to connect the receiver.

The only audio I can get to passthrough is standard 2 channel stereo.  No dolby digital.  I've tried every possible combination to get this to work.  (I can connect the ROku 4 to the receiver first, and then I do get proper audio but the receiver has issues with the copy protection passing 4k)

Thank you in advance to the community.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Dolby Digital 5.1 Question

Could be that the Samsung doesn't have the ability to take the format from HDMI inputs and output to the ARC. ARC is more for taking your TV tuner signal or built-in smart apps and transmit those to the Receiver.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
nickcostides
Level 7

Thanks for the response.  Could be - but using optical from either the Roku or Samsung has the same result of PCM stereo audio.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

See if changing from "Auto" to DTS, DD+ in the audio settings on Roku helps. Settings -> Audio. I just don't know if the Samsung is capable of passing the Dolby and DTS signals from the HDMI inputs to the ARC or optical ports. I've seen many cases of that.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
nickcostides
Level 7

I've tried every possible setting, including auto.  This is the brand new 2016 Samsung, so I would be shocked if it didn't pass Dolby, but then again maybe it does not.
0 Kudos
nickcostides
Level 7

I've done some digging and:
---My Samsung TV can pass Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI ARC
---My receiver can handle
---Native apps to the TV pass through no problem.

So after working at it - I am isolating the issue to either the ROKU, or a sync issue with my TV.

Dumb question: but could using a old HDMI cable cause issues?  Don't all HDMI cables support the same thing?

Should i hard reset the Roku? any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

your receiver should pass 4k without issue ... your HDMI cable does it say "2.0" or "high speed" or any thing on it? most cables purchased in the last 3 years should be fine but at this point if you have another cable swap it just to be sure
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
_FailSafe
Level 7

I ran into this last year when I first got my Samsung 4K TV and Roku 4. I was admittedly rather dumb to ARC, though I am otherwise very tech savvy. I figured I could connect my Roku 4 to my Samsung 4K and then ARC the audio to my Denon receiver for 5.1 audio since my Denon AVR is doesn't do 4K passthrough.

Here's the shortened version of about three weeks of trial and error, combined with tons of research. Samsung 4K TVs (can't speak for non-4K Samsung TVs) obviously support HDMI/HDCP2.2. Somewhere in the HDMI/HDCP specs (can't find the reference web link where I found this info last year) it is stated that only the next device (call it DEVICE A) in the chain of HDCP connected devices can [legally] receive the multi-channel audio. That "next device" (DEVICE A) may not pass-through the multi-channel audio to its next device (call it DEVICE B) in the chain. According to the spec, the audio can only be decoded as multi-channel in DEVICE A and DEVICE A may only pass-through audio in 2.0 channels to DEVICE B.

Here are some examples to explain:
Example 1) Roku 4 (HDCP2.2) ---> Samsung TV (DEVICE A - HDCP2.2) ---> A/V Receiver (DEVICE B)
The TV in this connection diagram can legally receive and decode 5.1+ audio from the Roku and play it through its own speakers. It MAY NOT [legally] pass-through 5.1+ audio through HDMI ARC or SPDIF to the A/V Receiver (or any other next-in-chain device). The TV may only legally pass-through 2.0 to the A/V Receiver.

Example 2*) Roku 4 (HDCP2.2) ---> A/V Receiver (DEVICE A - HDCP2.2) ---> Samsung TV (DEVICE B)
The A/V Receiver in this connection diagram can legally receive and decode 5.1+ audio from the Roku and play it through its connected speakers. It MAY NOT [legally] pass-through 5.1+ audio through HDMI or SPDIF to the TV (or any other next-in-chain device).

(*Example 2 is obviously the preferred method given the AVR supports 4K HDCP 2.2 passthrough)

The claim that Samsung makes about ARC and SPDIF supporting 5.1 audio is technically correct. The TV is capable of outputting 5.1 audio through ARC and SPDIF. However, they are not very forthcoming about the fact that it will only output 5.1 audio through ARC and SPDIF when the TV is on Cable/Air mode or through their native apps (as the OP noted). Based on the info above, you should be able to put together why their native apps pass 5.1 audio without me explaining that here. All other modes of the TV (when HDMI is the input source) will output 2.0 audio from ARC and SPDIF.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, so I may not have it 100% correct. If anything I've stated is incorrect I would love to learn from someone who has it all straight. Hope this helps, though I know its frustrating to find out.
0 Kudos
captivater
Level 7

"nickcostides" wrote:
I've done some digging and:
---My Samsung TV can pass Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI ARC

Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus are two different specifications. Furthermore Dolby licensing is a mess across the board of various devices employing its technology. Thank goodness Dolby Vision is losing to HDR10.

Back on track, your audio issue has been covered at length in numerous posts.

I suggest reading this thread https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90324 for further insights.
0 Kudos
ChadGW
Level 7

"_FailSafe" wrote:
The claim that Samsung makes about ARC and SPDIF supporting 5.1 audio is technically correct. The TV is capable of outputting 5.1 audio through ARC and SPDIF. However, they are not very forthcoming about the fact that it will only output 5.1 audio through ARC and SPDIF when the TV is on Cable/Air mode or through their native apps (as the OP noted). Based on the info above, you should be able to put together why their native apps pass 5.1 audio without me explaining that here. All other modes of the TV (when HDMI is the input source) will output 2.0 audio from ARC and SPDIF.

This is super helpful and sad. I’ve been battling this with my Samsung tv (f8000). So are we saying there is no workaround for a soundbar connected to tv with the Roku going through the tv? It seems like Samsung TVs are designed for you to have a receiver that does video pass through to the tv.
0 Kudos