Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
okaussie3
Level 10

Dolby Channels on ROKU

Is there a guide anywhere that can give the list of channels that stream audio in Dolby, not just Stereo.

I am finding it hard to find channels that will run in Dolby or DTS.

Would like to listen in Dolby but am having problems in finding channels that do.

Have found a few movies out there and watched them I know there has to be more out there.

TIA

Bill

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Dolby Channels on ROKU

I've never seen a list published. No site uses DTS, and most streaming sites use DD+ to reduce bandwidth. And of course, DD+ supports the lossy version of Atmos.

The larger sites all have 5.1 audio, such as Netflix, Prime Video and Vudu. I can't say for Netflix, but Prime and Vudu offer Atmos as well. I believe Movies Anywhere also streams 5.1, but it's been a while since I've used it. And part of the issue for me is that my only Roku that is connected to a supporting AVR is the Ultra 4640. Since it's the only Roku with a DD encoder, it sends DD+ to my AVR for everything, and I can't see the AVR display from my normal seating position to see how many channels it's processing. 

And from my local media server, the Roku plays 5.1 DD and DTS without a problem. It won't bitstream the lossless audio codecs, however, so no Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 10

I have an older Kenwood that does DD and DTS.  Connected to my Sceptre TV via fiber.  Roku Streaming Stick + connected to TV.

I primarily watch You Tube TV, You Tube, BritBox and Acorn TV.  Some of the shows say they are in Dolby 5.1 but I only get Stereo.

That is why I posed this question.  Do I need to upgrade my receiver to get Dolby on the channels or do they only broadcast in Stereo??

TIA

Bill

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@okaussie3 wrote:

I have an older Kenwood that does DD and DTS.  Connected to my Sceptre TV via fiber.  Roku Streaming Stick + connected to TV.

I primarily watch You Tube TV, You Tube, BritBox and Acorn TV.  Some of the shows say they are in Dolby 5.1 but I only get Stereo.

That is why I posed this question.  Do I need to upgrade my receiver to get Dolby on the channels or do they only broadcast in Stereo??

If your AVR doesn't support DD+, then yes you'll need to update it to get 5.1 from most online sources. For whatever reason, Dolby did not make DD+ backwards compatible with DD, so if your AVR doesn't support DD+ you'll only get stereo audio. Like I mentioned, only the Ultra 4640 can decode DD+ into standard DD and retain the 5.1 audio. Also be aware that not all TVs will pass DD+ out via optical. I can't say which will or won't, as there's far too many devices. The best solution is an AVR with HDMI inputs and your different devices (Roku, BD/DVD player) connect directly to the AVR. Even better if your TV and AVR support ARC, so you don't even need the optical cable back to the AVR.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos