Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scaritone
Level 7

Dolby 5.1 vs Dolby ProLogic II

I recently purchased a Roku express. I have a Samsung smart TV and a Denon receiver that can encode many different audio formats such as Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, and Dolby pro logic II. It does NOT do Dolby Digital Plus or any of the newer formats. I followed the instructions exactly as the package stated by connecting through my HDMI port and followed the audio settings menu perfectly. I am very disappointed that every single app on my Roku only will broadcast the audio in Dolby ProLogic II (Roku, Soectrum, Tubi, Crackle, Vudu, etc.). I am certain there are many TV shows and movies that should be presented in either DTS or Dolby 5.1. Can anybody tell me whether this is normal or whether I can fix this?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Dolby 5.1 vs Dolby ProLogic II

"scaritone" wrote:
I recently purchased a Roku express. I have a Samsung smart TV and a Denon receiver that can encode many different audio formats such as Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, and Dolby pro logic II.  It does NOT do Dolby Digital Plus or any of the newer formats.  I followed the instructions exactly as the package stated by connecting through my HDMI port and followed the audio settings menu perfectly. I am very disappointed that every single app on my Roku only will broadcast the audio in Dolby ProLogic II (Roku, Soectrum, Tubi, Crackle, Vudu, etc.).  I am certain there are many TV shows and movies that should be presented in either DTS or Dolby 5.1.   Can anybody tell me whether this is normal or whether I can fix this?

Unfortunately, they use Dolby Digital Plus with most content now. I think it has a higher compression rate and quality than the old Dolby Digital. Netflix started doing that way back in 2011 when the Roku 2 generation came out. Amazon, HBO, etc. started following suit. Most services don't have 5.1 sound at all. Some older Vudu releases have old Dolby Digital, but they started using Dolby Digital Plus for their releases of newer movies, I think maybe starting in 2014 or 2015. Bottom line, you need a receiver that can read the newer formats.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

The Apple TV 4th generation (latest) actually has built-in surround decoders, and can be set to output standard Dolby. Actually, it does a great job in Auto mode, finding out what your receiver can handle. So it's another expense, yes, but if you can find one used it would be a good deal.

Here's how it works:  https://developer.dolby.com/blog/dolby-audio-support-on-apple-tv/

Another option is to check if you have a "Goodwill" store or some such in your area. Lots of people donate decent electronics that you can get at low prices. Most recent vintage AVRs do DD+.

Lastly, check to see if your Samsung TV will output standard Dolby from the Optical port. That might work, if  so.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

The only Roku player that can take the DD+ and output standard DD is the 4640 Ultra, as it's the only one that had an Dolby Digital encoder. Your options are to find one of the older Ultra models or replace your AVR for something that supports DD+. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

"atc98092" wrote:
The only Roku player that can take the DD+ and output standard DD is the 4640 Ultra, as it's the only one that had an Dolby Digital encoder. Your options are to find one of the older Ultra models or replace your AVR for something that supports DD+. 

Not sure if you were responding to his earlier dilemma or my comment, but my LG HDTVs can transcode DD+ to standard DD out of the TV's optical port (after a little service menu enabling).  So, for his test - and if Samsung even supports it - the Roku would go directly to the TV, and test the optical out of the TV to the AVR to see if it transcodes DD+.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Not sure if you were responding to his earlier dilemma or my comment, but my LG HDTVs can transcode DD+ to standard DD out of the TV's optical port (after a little service menu enabling).  So, for his test - and if Samsung even supports it - the Roku would go directly to the TV, and test the optical out of the TV to the AVR to see if it transcodes DD+.

It was to him, not you.  Smiley Very Happy Some TVs will do that, but I'm not certain Samsung does. I do know my Samsung will bitstream DTS out the optical, but I've never connected a Roku (or anything else) directly to the TV (always through an AVR) so I can't say what it can do with external sources. Also, the Samsung is very annoying how it handles audio. If I play something from my server directly on the TV with DTS audio, the TV audio menu switches to DTS output. But if I then play something with DD, it changes to PCM, rather than DD. And once it's on PCM it will never switch to anything else without me doing it manually. One of many reasons I stopped using the TV for any playback from my DLNA server. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos