Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SuperSapien64
Streaming Star

Does the Roku Ultra need HDCP 2.2?

Simple question does the Roku Ultra need HDCP 2.2 in order to work? In other words if you TV or HDMI selector doesn't support HDCP 2.2 will the Roku Ultra work?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does the Roku Ultra need HDCP 2.2?

"SuperSapien64" wrote:
Simple question does the Roku Ultra need HDCP 2.2 in order to work? In other words if you TV or HDMI selector doesn't support HDCP 2.2 will the Roku Ultra work?

No, I have my Ultra 4640 connected to both an older Pansonic plasma and Yamaha AVR, both only HDMI 1.4. While I'm not certain what HDCP version they have, I know it's not 2.2, as that's necessary for 4K, which neither device supports. I have no issues at all with any channel, but I don't use Netflix so can't say about that one. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
SuperSapien64
Streaming Star

I kinda figured such. Also my HDMI selector says it supports HCCP 1.2 but when I look on my Roku for what type of connection its using it says HDCP 1.4, so maybe its compatible with HDCP 2.2 as well. 🙂
0 Kudos
P2shea

I have a Roku Ultra connected to a older Pioneer AV and an 8 year old LCD 51l Tv.  I am streaming thru Amazon Prime. Roku ultra work fine most of the time.  However, when I select a newer video, or 2022 season episode of a tv show get error 20. This indicate that a compatibility issue on HDMI interface on one of the connected boxes, TV or AVR, does not support HDCP 2.2.  It won,t load the selected video. 
 I am watching sales for a 4k UHD Roku TV.  Because Roku device is embedded in UHD TV, I expect they will be compatible.  The AVR should connect via TV Optic Audio output and eliminate all HDMI connections.  This setup might also eliminate extra remote controls.

0 Kudos