Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ltek
Level 7

Does New Ultra do Lossless Pass through : TrueHD, Atmos, DTS, etc?

The specs sat Pass Through... does that mean it will do lossless pass through to the AVR when using Plex, Emby, etc?

Very important for those of us with Home Theaters.

thx!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Does New Ultra do Lossless Pass through : TrueHD, Atmos, DTS, etc?

Highly unlikely. The current Roku players have audio bitstream passthrough, but only for DD and DTS. No lossy codec is supported. I think if they had added it they would have made it perfectly clear, because we've been asking for it for years. Right now the least costly method of streaming the lossless audio codecs from movies rips is the Nvidia Shield. Find a sale and you can probably get one for about $150. For a home theater it's far better than a Roku. And I say that as a Roku enthusiast. Roku just doesn't seem to want to cater to the more serious home theater user. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
shackrock
Level 7

Re: Does New Ultra do Lossless Pass through : TrueHD, Atmos, DTS, etc?

This is so unfortunate!  Without lossless support, I too am headed over to Shield, ugh!

0 Kudos