Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Does New Ultra do Lossless Pass through : TrueHD, Atmos, DTS, etc?

The specs sat Pass Through... does that mean it will do lossless pass through to the AVR when using Plex, Emby, etc?

Very important for those of us with Home Theaters.

thx!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Does New Ultra do Lossless Pass through : TrueHD, Atmos, DTS, etc?

Highly unlikely. The current Roku players have audio bitstream passthrough, but only for DD and DTS. No lossy codec is supported. I think if they had added it they would have made it perfectly clear, because we've been asking for it for years. Right now the least costly method of streaming the lossless audio codecs from movies rips is the Nvidia Shield. Find a sale and you can probably get one for about $150. For a home theater it's far better than a Roku. And I say that as a Roku enthusiast. Roku just doesn't seem to want to cater to the more serious home theater user. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

This is so unfortunate!  Without lossless support, I too am headed over to Shield, ugh!

Highlighted
Level 10

And unfortunately Shield doesn't get Atmos for many of its apps either, only Vudu and Amazon Prime (that has very few titles so far)... So while yes, it will support TrueHD and other lossless formats through apps like Plex, it's main Android TV apps for Netflix and Disney+ don't support Atmos, but the Roku does... Ridiculous we are almost to the year 2020 and we still have yet one device that does it all. Even the expensive and very nice Apple TV 4k doesn't have YouTube 4k or HDR (no YP9 support).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

What about the new 2020 Ultra?  Any change?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@cncb2 wrote:

What about the new 2020 Ultra?  Any change?

Not per the spec sheet. I would expect that if they ever change it, it would be announced loudly. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Nope.  I'm running true HD from plex over a Roku and plex has to transcode it for it to work.  The sound is very very flat when transcoded.  This is the 2020 ultra model.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

I just received a 4800 two days ago. No, it still does not passthrough lossless audio. However, I did find that it will transcode TrueHD into standard Dolby Digital without requiring the server to do it. Roku devices have always been capable of passing the lossy DTS audio core from DTS Master Audio. Of course, you have to be connected to an AVR for DTS of any kind. No, you won't get TrueHD Atmos, or DTS:X from it. If lossless audio passthough is something you really want, the Nvidia Shield is really your only option. I have two of them for this purpose. But I still use Roku devices in other rooms. Sometimes you have to have more than one player, because at this time there simply is no one player that does everything. This includes the Shield, which doesn't currently support YouTube HDR. 

Dan
0 Kudos