Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rugbyguy9
Level 7

Do not buy a roku, does not work with AVR AV Receivers

Hi,

service announcement, do not buy roku boxes they do not work if you have a home theater system.

Denon s720w
LG 65UF9500

regards,
0 Kudos
29 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Do not buy a roku, does not work with AVR AV Receivers

My Roku works fine with my AVR and TV. So your statement is not universal. Could be there's something different about your AVR that is not compatible with the Roku out of the box. Might need to look at changing settings. Does the AVR have HDCP 2.2?
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
danrhodes
Level 7

I wouldn't say they "don't work", but for the price, the current generation definitely shouldn't have been released with the software as unstable as it is.  It seems every software update causes someone an issue, and none of them are fixing my Amazon audio sync issue (with zero feedback from Roku on whether they are even working on it).  I will be returning my Ultra this weekend and moving on.  $130 is far too high a price to be a beta tester.
0 Kudos
rugbyguy9
Level 7

Here is a link to a video review of my roku

its basically just a video of the roku loading up and then nothing.

I will also be returning this box for a refund.

video review
0 Kudos
danrhodes
Level 7

"rugbyguy9" wrote:
Here is a link to a video review of my roku

its basically just a video of the roku loading up and then nothing.

I will also be returning this box for a refund.

video review

I don't think that's an example of it "not working with an AVR receiver"...looks more like yours got borked with a bad update as others here have complained about.  I don't know if there's a non-software factory reset, but if not, your only choice is to return it.  Hopefully if a lot of us return our Roku and leave bad online reviews, they will get their act together.  I've never once had a contact from Roku, neither an email response to my open case or a staff response here.  I left a a bad online review and then got a response the next day.
0 Kudos
23rdDjin
Level 7

it's also not a good enough "reason" to not buy a ROKU for the vast majority of people.

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

Darn it, 9 years using Roku's and I find out now that I should have never purchased them.   Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
rugbyguy9
Level 7

"Streams" wrote:
Darn it, 9 years using Roku's and I find out now that I should have never purchased them.   Smiley Sad

lesson learned, no need to buy any future boxes.
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

"rugbyguy9" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:

Should I get rid of the 5 that I have and love??
0 Kudos
rugbyguy9
Level 7

"Streams" wrote:
"rugbyguy9" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:

Should I get rid of the 5 that I have and love??

absolutely...they are expensive paper weights
0 Kudos