Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Artaud70

Re: Distorted Audio

@TE5LA, Reading this thread, I understand what the boogernose guy means by toggling off the menu sound. I had to read this a few times to get it. I suddenly started having the “underwater” sound also with my 2-month-old soundbar. My audio settings don’t give the same options suggested further in the thread so before unplugging and all that, I toggled menu sound to off. It just means you don’t hear the beeps and bloops of buttons being pressed. Weird as it may seem, it seems to have worked for us.

0 Kudos

Re: Distorted/Underwater Audio - using Antenna Input

Any advice for someone who is using the antenna input?  My parents have a GE antenna plugged into hdmi port, they only use certain channels in the kitchen.  Sounds like if you are not using their ROKU services, they don't care about the quality of any other uses.  I tried toggling the menu volume to off, unplugging TV.  BTW, they probably bought the TV because it was cheap, they have no clue what ROKU is.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Distorted audio solution help

I think I found a solution I just don't know how permanent it is. I went into my system setting and went to advanced and reset my audio and video settings. It fixed my problem right sway. 

0 Kudos
Gmanbe

Re: How to fix distorted audio on my Roku streaming device

I’m having the same exact issues with my Roko stick. The sound gets distorted and loud and sounds like everyone is underwater. I have two different Roko sticks on two different televisions and they both do the same thing with the sound getting distorted. The only solution I found so far is changing the channel and quickly going back to the original channel and the sound is restored to normal. It seems this is a normal Roko function that the sound gets distorted once in a while with no way to correct it just live with it. If Roku would like to refund me my money for both sticks I would accept that.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Gmanbe,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! I'd be happy to help take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.

Which streaming channels are you experiencing this issue on? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?

As a first try, we recommend that during playback of any content, press the * key on your remote. A menu will open on the left-hand side of the screen. Do you have any 'Volume mode' enabled here? If so, try turning this off then restart your Roku device. Does this resolve the issue?

You can learn more about the Volume mode feature: How to use volume modes on your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support 

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jhs29er
Reel Rookie

Have same issue. This thread seems to be the most diagnostic I've found to date and worked for me when swapping out devices with different processors

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/ATT-TV-Sound-Dropping-When-Using-App/td-p/709...

0 Kudos
Brianhiggs

Re: Distorted Audio. TCL will not take responsibility

I called TCL and they are saying it’s cause my download speed is at 10. It needs to be at 15 mbps. 

0 Kudos
Toolman12345
Reel Rookie

Muddy voices in tv shows and movies

@SIN0113   My Roku doesn't have any such setting that I can find. Our problem is that voices in SO SO many tv shows and movies are muddy, like they're under water. Movies have always been a problem because they are setup for movie theaters where the sound is so loud across the board that one can hear everything just fine in the theater,  but at home on regular tv's and sound systems voices can get lost in all the rest of the sounds in the movie. I have an Amazon HDMI cable arriving tomorrow, and am looking for any and all other ideas to try. We went from a full stereo system to a $300 sound bar that was supposed to solve all our voice problems, but didn't. There are no "Volume mode" or "Sound mode" settings in my Roku Ultra. Maybe you could include the full path that leads to those settings? 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Muddy voices in tv shows and movies

@Toolman12345

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried using another HDMI port on the TV as well as switching out the HDMI cable used to connect the Roku device?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting the Roku device to another TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Toolman12345
Reel Rookie

Re: Muddy voices in tv shows and movies

Actually, what I think fixed it was a setting on the TV itself, a Sony Bravia XBR65X750D. There is a setting on it called "ClearAudio+". After turning that off, the voices came out from underwater and sound a lot better! I think there was just one too many things affecting the sound as it traveled from the Roku to my soundbar. Thanks for answering my post, which prompted me to update with this info. 

0 Kudos