Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fred_Neff
Level 7

Disappearing captions

I have used a Roku 2 to watch Britbox for about a year.  Closed captions are as important as the audio or video, as anyone knows who attempts to understand some of the regional dialects.  Therefore, closed captions are set to always on.  Roughly two months ago, the captions started to disappear.  The only way to get them back is to go to system restart.  The captions will then return, sometimes for several days and sometimes for just 30 minutes.  It is more than irritating to have to stop in the middle of a show to reboot the Roku just to restore the captions.  I don't really watch anything else, so I do not know whether this is a problem on all channels.  I just know that it started a month or two ago.

Roku 2

Model 4210X

Serial number 5F464E117724

Software 9.4.0  Build 4190-04

9 REPLIES 9\
DennisMori
Level 8

Re: Disappearing captions

Did you get this resolved? We are experiencing the same thing. Below is what I sent them. Dennis

Our closed captions turn off when switching between services. We have it set for "Always On" but when we go to Acorn or other streaming services the captions aren't working. When we check Roku settings it says they are on. They only way to fix it is to do a "system restart". Then the captions show up. We don't like having to do a system restart for every program we watch. Help!

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@DennisMori

Thanks for the post.

Have you checked the closed captions for the channel you are watching directly? Some channels may override the Roku settings at times.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Kdeinhouston
Level 8

The Britbox/Roku combination definitely has a problem with closed captions. I have the identical problem on two different locations with two different TVs and Roku models. The only way to get the captions back is to power cycle the Roku. Captions also stop working on Acorn, Netflix, Amazon Prime so it looks like it a Roku problem, why else would a reboot of the Roku box fix it. Albeit for a random amount of time.  I have checked and rechecked the caption settings on the Roku and the TV and they are set to always on.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Kdeinhouston

Thanks for the post.

Have you checked within the channel to ensure that the closed captions are also set?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Kdeinhouston
Level 8

Thanks for the quick response Danny.

Yes, the channel has the captions set to 'Always On'.

I've noticed the problem when viewing BritBox but when they go away I check other channels like Netflix, Acorn, Amazon Prime, Apple TV and notice that captions are also missing on these channels.

When they go I've tried toggling them off/on at the channel level, Roku Settings level and even the TV's Setting level with no luck. Re booting my Roku 3 always brings them back on all channels however.

I notice that the last Roku update was in June this year btw.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Kdeinhouston

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Kdeinhouston
Level 8

Ok Danny, after several days with no caption problems I selected the PBS channel and noticed that there were no captions even though captions were set to Always On. I then selected other channels and captions had now disappeared. I restarted the Roku and captions returned for all channels except PBS. After viewing PBS I found that captions were again missing on the other channels (Britbox, Acorn, Netflix, Amazon Prime). A system restart always brings them back for all channels except PBS.

Issue ID 57-448-129

Model 4200X Roku 3

Sw ver 10.0.0 build 4209-04

PBS ver 5.1 build 1

0 Kudos
Ghaak
Level 7

I have the EXACT same issue with my Roku device - randomly, with any service, any channel.  I won't repost because my story es precisely identical.  Tonight I rebooted my device, for no particular reason,  watched a couple differrent shown on BritBox, and Acorn without problem, then suddenly on a different Acorn show they were gone - settings all fine - rebooted device and they're back.  I thought it was just my device, but now think it is a Roku issue

Model: 4630X - Roku Premiere+

S/N: YR005M160764

Software version: 10.5.0 - Build 4208-29

Device ID: 7KA695160764

0 Kudos
DennisMori
Level 8

Ghaak,

We did all of the above and it still happened. I don't want to jinx it for us but it's been fine for a month now. Maybe yours will correct itself too. Dennis

0 Kudos